Jump to content

FTSE 100 retrace top or fresh all time highs?

Recommended Posts

The FTSE 100 is less clear than the Nikkei/Dax as it could still make fresh all time highs.  The weekly chart suggests a retest of a tramline break has already occurred with the recent high but for this to hold the market would have to put in at most a double top next week.  Given the strength of the rally on Friday this seems unlikely.  The Daily chart shows 2 possible scenarios being an A-B-C retrace to wave 2 (purple), and this could still hold with a double top off the May 2015 high, OR a 1-5 motive wave culminating in a hit on the Monthly top resistance line around the 7200 mark (see monthly chart).  Again the latter is tracking to a hit on or after 18 Sept.


Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

That would fit with my general cross market analysis in terms of non US large Caps not making new all time highs .  However I do not yet believe we have seen the top of the US large Caps (or at least that is not yet confirmed, especially after the predictable strong rally today).  Therefore I would need to see a turn back down on US large Caps before I would trust that a Top has been hit elsewhere.  So far the US large Caps rallied off a Fib 38% (S&P -see chart below) and is now back at the potential H&S neck line.  A turn back down here would be in keeping with a Bearish move but given the RSI/Stochastic levels we cannot yet rule out a fresh final leg up.


I will be cautions until a clear confirmation or a clear signal that fresh all time highs on US caps are still ahead.


US 500 160912 Daily.png

Link to comment

I agree the FTSE100 wasn't tradable  and isn't just now except for holding at B/E possible long term Shorts at the 15 Aug high or the 4 Sept possible double top, however as said in previous post, I would be nervous about calling the top on any market until we see a confirmed end to the US large Caps.


I agree  that Friday's move was a precursor but not that it IS the end, after all the June 24 move down was much stronger and resulted in the "buy-the-dips" boys pilling in, which they have again.  Consensus is still for no rate rise by the Fed and other CBs are sitting on their hands ahead of FOMC next week so I see no reason yet to consider the market top is in, except a weak H&S formation that could so easily be false.


With respect to other markets the rally was somewhat predictable and tradable, I am currently Long and stop protected at BE on the Dax, S&P and Dow.  All of these markets came down to strong support and bounced back strongly.  Currently the US markets have hit Ice lines (support/resistance off a chartist pattern - double tops or H&S in this case) and are retracing from them in what would normally be seen as a classic confirmation of the Bearish move (and it still could be).  However the nature of the price action and other indicators across multiple time frames suggests to me that we are not done with the US bull just yet so I will be ultra cautious until either another lower low than Friday's low (Bearish) or a break back above the ice lines (bullish) signal is in.


See Dax chart for illustration of the bounce:  It hit a strong Weekly Chart Fib level plus a parallel tramline with RSI/Stochastic over sold.  You will see similar set ups in all the US markets.


Link to comment

That certainly fits  but you can also make a 1-5 in the wave ending on Friday so either scenario is on the table.  With the strength of yesterdays US move My bias is for bullish action after a retrace but the FTSE is a bit more unpredictable just now and with a bunch of UK data about to come out I can't see a credible trade here.

Link to comment

SO far so good regarding a FTSE100 retrace scenario with a 1-5 down and now a small 1-5 up (short time frame charts) followed by a small dip and rally.  If we get a strong move up from here then I would suggest the recent bearish move has been a retrace of the up trend with another leg up to go for the market top (at least on US large Caps, others still look like large time frame retraces).


I cannot fully rule out that the bearish move was a wave 1 down in preparation for a bigger fall but its form seems more like and A-B-C retrace to me, as do all the other stock indices.


Link to comment

Interesting pattern on the FTSE at the W5 count of WC. Not 100% but does appear that we may have an ending diagonal, which could evidently prove that upside is on its way. As long as the .618% is not violated or the diagonal is not broken out to the downside, then I would most likely await for the completion of this pattern.

Link to comment

You could be right  no question but as always there is an alternative scenario (other than the Big One has started , Sell! Sell! Sell! - which I do not yet believe...),


There is an EWT case for the bottom of this move to be already done at the top of the support zone.  If we get a small 1-5 completion (see chart) followed by a retrace and turn then the rally would be on.  How far and whether we will see a fresh High is another days work.  You can see similar but different structured set ups on the US markets and check out the Nasdaq, how about that for strength in the face of a sell off?


Link to comment

True True Mercury, what is good for traders over that last few weeks, is that we have a small taste, of what is to come, if rates go up and QE finishes. This is why the trading plan for me would be to get long on this trade. But I would want to see this triangle break first to the upside or complete is possible W-5 of c scenario.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

FTSE 100 is coming up on critical Resistance zone made by 3 previous failed attempts with the all time high not far above.  A break through here sets up the next critical point being a turn before the all time high or a breakout above that zone.  With US large Caps also at critical points it will be an interesting few days to see whether the potential head & shoulders works or a new top becomes manifest.


Link to comment

Interesting move today, FTSE100 climbs closer to moment of truth while GBP drops through the prior post Brexit lows.  Even if we do get a new all time high the upper Triangle line may still hold for the market top.  There are both EWT counts and classic chartist formations that support an end point to this rally nearby and Key oscillator indicators are in over bought territory with a strong Neg Mom Div in play on the Daily (which I'd ideally like to see on the 4 Hourly and hourly in due course).


Overall, I can see a possible top out with a double top OR a small fresh all time high on the upper Triangle level.  If we see Neg Mom Div on 4 hourly or Hourly accompanying a clear 1-5 wave count then at a minimum a retrace is likely.  The alternative strong rally scenario is also still possible (red labels) but would need to see a break of the Daily Triangle for that in my opinion.


Looking at the 4 Hourly and hourly charts you can see the various chart formations of Flags and Pennants.  There are quite a few, which suggests to me that this rally is not a very confident one (i.e. many retraces) and this morning we may be witnessing a low volume rally (TBC).



Link to comment

My question has now been answered with a fresh all time high on the FTSE100 yesterday.  The market hit and rebounded sharply from that high, suggesting to me a lack of long term conviction for the rally (at least just now).  The move eliminates the retrace scenario and leaves us looking for where the top might occur.  The ascending triangle (blue lines) remains intact and the convergence with the long term weekly resistance trendline (purple) offers an interesting possible top.  I can see a small scale 1-5 move leading up to this point with wave 3 top put in yesterday.  A retrace into a small scale wave 4 seems to be in progress, which could terminate either at 6950 level (Fib 50% of the wave 2-3 rally) or descend back towards the lower Triangle in an overlapping format (classic ending diagonal behaviour).  After this a rally back up to test the upper Triangle could bring up the end (unless yesterday was it of course...)


Additionally to the EWT and charting signals are strong Neg Mom Div and overbought RSI/Stochastic.  My ideal scenario is a retrace and final rally to complete a 1-5 up near the upper Triangle plus 3 indicators showing a bearish move and then a confirmation with a breakout form the lower Triangle line but cannot rule out the possibility that yesterday was the end.


Whether the Top is still to come or has come, a breakout from the lower Triangle line seems like a decent bet for a Short.  Will be interesting to follow this over the coming days into NFP and to cross check with other stock indices.


Link to comment

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    Joined 27/07/21 15:11
  • Posts

    • GlaxoSmithKline Q2 revenue is expected to show revenue growth from newer drugs partially offset by increased generic competition in older drugs. Source: Bloomberg   Shares GlaxoSmithKline Price Revenue Vaccine Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization  Shaun Murison | Senior Market Analyst, Johannesburg | Publication date: Tuesday 27 July 2021  When is GlaxoSmithKline earnings date? The GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) earnings release date is scheduled for the 28 July 2021. The scheduled results will cover the groups second quarter and half-year earnings.   GSK results preview: What does the street expect? While GlaxoSmithKline (in partnership with Sanofi Pasteur) look to stage three trials of their Covid-19 vaccine, the company has not yet released a vaccine to market. The global rollout of Covid-19 vaccines (by competitors) looks to have disrupted the course of other vaccine programmes in key markets such as the US and the UK for GSK. Revenue for second quarter (Q2) 2021 is expected to be bolstered by sales of newer drugs in the respiratory and HIV segments, with a partial offset from older drugs which are finding increased competition through generic offerings. In terms of the upcoming results, a mean of analyst estimates compiled by Refinitiv data arrive at the following: Revenue $10.433 billion (+10.27%) year on year (YoY) Earnings before interest tax depreciation amortisation (EBITDA) $2.855 billion (-8.91% YoY) Earnings per share (EPS) $0.51 (+10.87% YoY) How to trade the GlaxoSmithKline results   Source: Refinitiv   A Refinitiv poll of analyst ratings arrive have a long term consensus rating of ‘buy’ for GlaxoSmithKline with a target price $47.87. GlaxoSmithKline (ADR) share price: technical analysis   Source: IG The share price of GlaxoSmithKline continues to trade in an uptrend which has been in place since the beginning of March 2021. The price has however started to correct from near term highs. The correction sees the price now testing support at the 38.85 level. Traders looking for long entry might prefer to see a bullish price reversal around current levels accompanied by a sharper move out of oversold territory by the Stochastic oscillator. In this scenario, the recent high at 40.55 would become the initial resistance target, while a close below 38.35 could be used as a stop loss consideration for the trade. However should a bullish price reversal not manifest and we see the price move to close below both the 38.85 and 38.35 support levels, this could instead be a suggestion that the uptrend has failed and perhaps a new downtrend for the share price is forming. In Summary GSK reports Q2 2021 results on the 28 July Q2 revenue of $10.433 billion (+10.27% YoY) is expected Q2 EBITDA of $2.855 billion (-8.91% YoY) are expected EPS $0.51 (+10.87% YoY) in the Q2 are expected The average long term broker rating for GSK is a ‘buy’ The share price of GSK is testing support as it finds itself in a short-term correction of a longer-term uptrend
    • Alibaba continues to enjoy strong revenue and customer growth, but the decline in its stock price reflects a bleaker outlook thanks to the actions of the Chinese government. Source: Bloomberg   Shares Alibaba Group China Investor IPO Price  Chris Beauchamp | Chief Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 27 July 2021    When is Alibaba’s earnings date? Alibaba reports earnings on 3 August, covering its fiscal first quarter (Q1). Alibaba earnings – what to expect Alibaba is expected to report revenue of $32 billion, with earnings per share of $2.24. Alibaba continues to enjoy excellent growth, achieving one billion customers in the 2021 financial year (FY2021), with the vast majority of these based in China. Profit margins and revenues have risen at a steady pace in every year since 2013, at 10% and 23% respectively. However, for Chinese tech shares such as Alibaba, the main concern is no longer business performance, but the attitude of the Chinese government instead. The cancellation of the Ant Financial initial public offering (IPO) and the current clampdown on tutoring stocks points towards a much more restrictive approach to the private sector. As many could have predicted, the culture clash between free market capitalism and the controlling instincts of the Chinese Communist Party has begun anew, with the Party determined to rein in the perceived excesses of the free market. This is a situation unfamiliar to many investors, unused to the impact of government interference on most companies except in relatively isolated circumstances, and accounts for the underperformance of Chinese shares, with Alibaba no exception. Find out more on how to buy, sell, and short Alibaba shares Alibaba broker ratings A total of 17 analysts currently rate Alibaba as a ‘strong buy’, with 30 more at ‘buy’. Three analysts have a ‘hold’ rating, and only one ‘sell’. Alibaba stock – technical analysis The direction in Alibaba stock is clear for the time being. Rallies have been regularly sold, with the latest bounce in late June running into the 100-day simple moving average (SMA), currently 22,225. With the macro outlook so unfavourable the stock continues to reflect investor caution, so it looks like further declines are on the cards as the price targets 18,000 and lower.   Source: ProRealTime A solid business, but outlook continues to darken Alibaba has plenty to commend it from a fundamental perspective, but with Beijing adopting an activist position the stock continues to decline. Investors might argue that this means Alibaba is becoming a bargain, but traders will want to see a turnaround in the price, which is unlikely to happen unless the Chinese government reduces its interventions.
    • EUR/USD, GBP/USD and NZD/USD weaken from Fibonacci resistance EUR/USD, GBP/USD and NZD/USD turn lower after posting a deep 76.4% Fibonacci retracement.   Forex NZD/USD EUR/USD GBP/USD Pound sterling Euro    Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 27 July 2021  EUR/USD turning lower from latest retracement EUR/USD has managed to post yet another 76.4% Fibonacci retracement, with the pair heading lower once again. This highlights how the trend seen over the course of the past two months remains worth following. While the trend is very shallow in nature, that does bring a higher likeliness of a deep retracement. As such, a bearish outlook holds from here, with a push up through the prior swing-high of $1.183 required to negate that downside bias. Source: ProRealTime GBP/USD turning lower after 76.4% retracement GBP/USD has started to lose ground in early trade today, following the rally into the 76.4% Fibonacci resistance level at $1.383. With a wider bearish trend playing out over recent months, there is a good chance we see further downside from here. A rise up through the $1.391 level would be required to negate that outlook. Source: ProRealTime NZD/USD slumps after deep pullback NZD/USD has similarly turned lower after a 76.4% Fibonacci retracement yesterday. The wider downtrend points towards such a move coming into play, with a rise through $0.7045 required to negate that bearish outlook. Until then, further weakness looks likely from here. Source: ProRealTime
  • Create New...