0.7% hidden charge on every sale transaction

Just lost £40 buying and then selling £4000 worth of US shares at the same price. I only noticed this because the share prices and exchange rate hadn't moved and I looked at 'my account' straight after. It may be harsh to describe this as a 'scam' as IG needs to make its profit somehow and a lot of its services are free. I thought IG took its profit purely from the trading margin between currencies USD/GBP which is an amazing deal for me as I invest lots of small amounts for fun, so a transaction fee is a killer. In fact there is a default setting tucked away somewhere which instantly converts any shares sold back to your base currency at a 0.7% mark up on the margin that already exists. I would be more than happy to pay 0.7% when withdrawing money from IG as a fee for using their services, but to pay it every time I sell a share is a complete sting, especially as this is a pretty well hidden charge. I would urge everyone to find the setting and switch to manual!

Edited by David88
punctuation

Just realised from another poster they get you both ways!  I changed to 'manual' when I realised the above.  But now I see that incurs me a $15 charge on every transaction.  Putting the two together,   you should consider any purchase of shares up to about £4000 to incur an effective 1% transaction charge,  realisable on sale of your shares.  This means there is about a 1% bias against any transaction you do (you are starting 1% down),  so there is an advantage in looking for medium to longer term investments rather than attempting to make small gains of one percent here or there.  I am going to change back to automatic,  as I tend to invest small amounts,  and reconsider my whole approach.

Edited by David88
  • 10 months later...

yeah and in the positions tab it says you are in profit in $ and converts it to a £ profit  when your actually making a loss in £ when you check the £ paid for the shares.

ON US shares from UK they basically calculate the book value  in $ and show you a dollar profit converted to £. the book value isn't based on what you actually spent. I think this is very misleading. 

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    JeffreyJ
    Joined 14/06/21 11:48
    • I remember the BBC reporting in  front of world trade building 7 saying it had collapsed when it was clearly still standing and then hours later it "suddenly" collapsed - Sept 11th 2001 David Icke did a great publication on that "terrorist attack" which lead to UK/USA forces invading Iraq and afghanistan, along with implementing onerous checks at all airports since - 20 years later we still haven't had another plane hijacked and crashed into anything, probably because if it had it would prove that aviation fuel can't melt steel structural joists, or bring a building down in a vertical fashion as per a controlled explosion I'm yet to be convinced on Covid, but it absolutely fits in with the totalitarian tiptoe Icke says is happening and fits in being an absolute valid reason to vaccinate the entire globe    
    • Thank you. The whole episode has been disastrous from the start and there looks to be no let up as Johnson is expected tonight to announce a 4 week lockdown extension again using false models and bad science as 'reasons'. Very sorry to hear of your wife's vax complications, twitter is awash with similar stories but MSM ignores it all. The AZ seems particularly worrisome, the US won't use it at all (they donated their tranche to the 3rd world) but nearly all in the UK get it. Most of whom will already have had contact with covid and have natural immunity anyway. As in the Russel Brand video, MSM does not have the right to just dismiss anything they don't like the sound of as 'conspiracy theories' and completely ignore them. Eminent scientists being de-platformed, astronomical NHS waiting lists, undiagnosed life threatening illnesses flooding A+E, complete loss of faith in major institutions (WHO, FDA, CDC, NHS, etc.), 37% fewer small businesses in the US. The damage being done is appalling and there is no end in sight.   .          
    • Yep - If the major cycle working out since 2016 repeats as its done for the past 225 years then the USA Indices are UP, UP,UP until the mid 2030's - corrections will be nothing like 2000-2009 corrections  Although chart is up to date - I wrote the below pre 2015 (can't remember exactly when) - as an absolute min I'd expect 22-25,000 for the SP500 to end on in 2034