Refund of money lost due to platform failure?

Question

This is the third time this has happened to me where I am watching levels only not to be able to action my positions which has cost me another several hundred pounds today! Does anyone know if there is recourse to claim this money back from either IG or take it to the financial ombudsman ?

• Like 1

22 answers to this question

Usually IG does refund if the error is 100% theirs but often you need to provide yourself Screenshot and video... which is a little ridiculous.

I'm now using a Desktop recoding tool every single time I trade with IG because last time there was an outage I couldn't close some long position I had which then endup being all negative. I had luckily took a video with my phone as a proof otherwise theyr would have not refund anything. 

Edited by NicolasBlinche
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, NicolasBlinche said:

Usually IG does refund if the error is 100% theirs but often you need to provide yourself Screenshot and video... which is a little ridiculous.

I'm now using a Desktop recoding tool every single time I trade with IG because last time there was an outage I couldn't close some long position I had which then endup being all negative. I had luckily took a video with my phone as a proof otherwise theyr would have not refund anything. 

OMG how to record?!
I didnt record anything and now too late to do anything

Currently doing screen shots of all balances - I wanted to close my positions seeing DOLLAR move up.

You cant access the number either??

Edited by KayMuy19
hidden post

2 minutes ago, NicolasBlinche said:

That’s smart! Could you please advise which recording tool you are using, it’ll come in handy for more of us! 
Thank you, and good luck! 

5 minutes ago, NicolasBlinche said:

I do not believe that IG will refund any thing based on a video . This is not serious. 

They did. 3 month after back and fourth with complience team.

They didn't want to refund at first. They just wanted to give a 100£ refund on a 2k loss. I have then brought this further to compliance and 2k have been refund because my video prooved there was a bug with IG charts

Edited by NicolasBlinche

Just now, NicolasBlinche said:

So , i take it we all have to do what you've done then :) 

I am thinking to stop using IG as soon as i close all possitions. Far too many problems with their platform.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NicolasBlinche said:

12 minutes ago, izz said:

OMG how to record?!
I didnt record anything and now too late to do anything

20 minutes ago, vvspikevv said:

This is the third time this has happened to me where I am watching levels only not to be able to action my positions which has cost me another several hundred pounds today! Does anyone know if there is recourse to claim this money back from either IG or take it to the financial ombudsman ?

11 minutes ago, KayMuy19 said:

Currently doing screen shots of all balances - I wanted to close my positions seeing DOLLAR move up.

You cant access the number either??

11 minutes ago, pontys said:

That’s smart! Could you please advise which recording tool you are using, it’ll come in handy for more of us! 
Thank you, and good luck! 

8 minutes ago, ddk said:

I do not believe that IG will refund any thing based on a video . This is not serious. 

7 minutes ago, NicolasBlinche said:

They didn't want to refund at first. They just wanted to give a 100£ refund on a 2k loss. I have then brought this further to compliance and 2k have been refund because my video prooved there was a bug with IG charts

4 minutes ago, ddk said:

I am thinking to stop using IG as soon as i close all possitions. Far too many problems with their platform.

Thank you for your posts and apologies for the platform issues. 

You can check the progress here: https://status.ig.com/

If you could not get into the platform and have trades that were impacted please let us know via email so we can look into this for you. 

Please only call us if you need to close a positions. 

Apologies again from IG. 

Just now, MikeBamber said:

IG have just agreed to refund my loss. 

Good on them, that was the right thing to do.

thanks for letting us know.

2 minutes ago, MikeBamber said:

May i know the mode of communication? via email?

1 minute ago, NicolasBlinche said:

I'm now using a Desktop recoding tool every single time I trade with IG because last time there was an outage I couldn't close some long position I had which then endup being all negative.

5 minutes ago, MikeBamber said:

How long did it take to get through to them?

just switched over from spreadex recently but this couldn't happen at a worst time for me.  Ive been on the phone 0207..number and its been complete silence best of 30mins+ and its just silent ….how long do I need to wait...I certainly don't expect to record my desktop in this day and age. Shall I stay waiting on the phone

Guest JJP
19 minutes ago, MikeBamber said:

Very reassuring to read about IG doing the right thing in this instance, especially given my growing concern from reading some other, less positive posts. Commiseration that you missed taking a profitable trade, but I guess a break even is better than a loss.

6 minutes ago, Guest JJP said:

Very reassuring to read about IG doing the right thing in this instance, especially given my growing concern from reading some other, less positive posts. Commiseration that you missed taking a profitable trade, but I guess a break even is better than a loss.

Ha, it was a long scalp on the S&P, so wasn't going to make me rich anytime soon!!

• Like 1

IG would like to apologise for the platform issues we were having. The issues have now been resolved but we urge you to reach out to us via email (helpdesk.uk@ig.com) if your positions were negatively impacted.   

You can always check our platforms errors here: https://status.ig.com/

We're truly sorry but want you to reach out to us so we can correct your accounts. 

All the best 

So I Patiently waited all day to take my trade for my sell postion @ 11190 and when I do it at 11185 the app crashes on my phone on iPad and on my laptop so I don’t know if the trade was taken or not. When it does restarts only to find out it wasn’t taken and the Dax is down 100 points . No proof and what comeback do I have on that. Very disappointing. Not a happy man . Unfortunately my account needed that trade now I’m back to the drawing board. 

14 hours ago, CharlotteIG said:

If you could not get into the platform and have trades that were impacted please let us know via email so we can look into this for you. 

Apologies again from IG. 

System crashed, cnt see my open trades, and I'm on a loss of $7000 and counting. been trying to close my position,  but cnt see my trades. Want to open some trades, but afraid that I wont be able to see my trades. this is very frustrating.

14 hours ago, CharlotteIG said:

Apologies again from IG. 

Its visible now, with massive losses, I'm to close my positions at a loss ? would you guys pay me back? i have sent an email but havnt got a reply yet. tried calling the Australian number but it hangs up on me. your customer service needs to be improved big time.

14 hours ago, MikeBamber said:

Did they refund all your losses or just partially?