Risk/Reward link with Win rate

Hi all,

I read this article about how risk/reward and win rate and linked.  The thing is though in order to use the cheat sheet for risk/reward and win rate, you need to know what your win rate is first based on historical trades?  But to do that you had to have decided on a risk/reward ratio already when setting limits/stops?  I feel like this is a chicken and egg situation.

https://www.tradeciety.com/how-to-use-reward-risk-ratio-guide/

What this is suggesting is that if your win rate is higher you can have more risk and less reward e.g the last row in the table is 75% win rate gives 0.3:1 reward to risk.  But if you look at it a different way is it not like saying take more risk and you will win more?

36 minutes ago, u0362565 said:

Hi all,

I read this article about how risk/reward and win rate and linked.  The thing is though in order to use the cheat sheet for risk/reward and win rate, you need to know what your win rate is first based on historical trades?  But to do that you had to have decided on a risk/reward ratio already when setting limits/stops?  I feel like this is a chicken and egg situation.

https://www.tradeciety.com/how-to-use-reward-risk-ratio-guide/

What this is suggesting is that if your win rate is higher you can have more risk and less reward e.g the last row in the table is 75% win rate gives 0.3:1 reward to risk.  But if you look at it a different way is it not like saying take more risk and you will win more?

Hi, yes I cover this quite extensively in the 'Trade Planning and Testing' thread where there is also a link to download a basic free spreadsheet that will auto calc cumulative win rate and cumulative risk reward that you can plot onto the profitability graph chart.

• Great! 1
4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, yes I cover this quite extensively in the 'Trade Planning and Testing' thread where there is also a link to download a basic free spreadsheet that will auto calc cumulative win rate and cumulative risk reward that you can plot onto the profitability graph chart.

Aww you're a good chap Tom Bombadil 🤓🐮😻

3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Great thanks for taking the time to do that,I'll check it out!

• 2 years later...
On 05/06/2020 at 16:36, Caseynotes said:

Hi

I put Trade Planning and Testing in the search but it didn't return anything with that title. Do you have a direct link?

Thanks

Elly