Beat the analyst

jbtrader

A great new feature would be to introduce a message board where members would be encouraged to share trading ideas.

IG research could contribute so members can guage where they sit in relation to an institutional team such as IG.

A great way to generate more trading on the platform - we would soon be able to pick whose ideas we want to follow and hopefully generate trading profits.

Hi

Great idea - I think something like that would be beneficial to both IG and clients.

If I can add a side discussion to yours - I wonder how long IG will let a trader or group of traders be consistently profitable before restricting their trading...??

Would they ever do that?  If they did, how would you/the affected person feel, and what could they (the trader) do?

Yeah, I'd expect that too.

Yet...  say this group had a highly probably trade or two for the FTSE index (during normal opening hours and these trades happen at any time of the session or week - ie. not time dependent).  There are then a few ways you could trade it with IG - a CFD (so conventional long short) or through Binaries.  IF IG for either of these methods you use to place the trade take the other side (which they do when they make a market) THEN....

That is assuming two things - they can't use their generous spread to match out the trade to other clients.  OR that they don't want to match out their trades but instead take a risk they are more correct than their clients (so ride it till expiry or till it hurts). 

Like you said I'd expect IG to want to trade on volume.  Yet I'd be curious to hear from them regarding this, or other traders here.   

I hear your conspiricy theory but I tend to disagree.

I don't believe the IG business model is dependant on trading better than their clients. They make the spread and hedge out any risk more often. The more trades , the more spreads they collect. IG make money based on the trading volume not the profitaability of its clients.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe Dan could clarify this for you.

Hi jbtrader,

I would agree - and hope this is so. 

I was just wondering IF such a situation occured where your idea generates a profitable trading group within the sphere of IG. 

I agree - they have enough spoils from hedging out trades and collecting the spread.  Yet maybe Dan or someone else can give IG's position regarding this. 

Cheers.

Hi both,

Thanks for your suggestions. The ‘Beat the Analyst’ message board would be a good way to connect clients with each other and our analysts to share trade set ups and market commentary.

As  mentioned, as a business our income is generated through spreads and commission rather than taking the opposing side to our clients. We want our clients to be successful in their trading hence why we invest considerably into educational tools and resources.

We are currently looking into your suggestion with our compliance team so please keep an eye out for updates in the future.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey  & ,

Thanks for the feedback. I think this would be a great idea, which would allow members to share their trading ideas and discuss any views from our analysts. We're looking into the best way to implement this, and happy to take on board any more thoughts you may have.

In the meantime I've just posted a trading idea from one of our analysts, Chris Weston: https://community.ig.com/t5/Technical-analysis-and-charts/AUD-NZD-Trade-idea/m-p/530#M46

Feel free to let us know your thoughts on Chris' insight!

Dan 

Cheers !  Really appreciate your interaction here on the forum.

I focus 98% on the ASX so can only offer insights there, and with binaries in particular.  But happy to share.

If I can post quickly enough.  Often a binary is alive and gone in 30secs.  Yet I can also give an intra-day perspective (ie. my own) if ever wanted.   I am more an intuitive trader too.

Thanks again.

I should ask if IG minds me posting such recommendations.  I can see it can potentially be a bit of a problem for them in that THEIR website has recommended something and it could cause someone to lose money if they don't know what they're doing. 

Of course I could put a disclaimer with each post - somehow - and most of the time I expect the recommendations to be profitable (and what I would trade myself). 

I just don't want IG to get any negative repercussions from me posting specific trade ideas. 

Yesterday the binaries settled around 5232, just a tad lower than my post, but then if you traded 5230 or lower, or sold 5245 or higher, you'd have been safe.  The day close for IG's ASX index was close to 5240 but to me that is not as important as the binaries have closed by then. 

I should point out too that this is NO conspiracy theory. 

So to ask again - how would you feel if a broker decided to limit your trades?  (Talking generally about brokers, not specifically IG).

Hey Zero,

If a broker limited my trades even if I had plenty of margin cover/ funds to cover the trade I would not be happy.

If it couldn't be explained satisfactorily I would find another broker.

In my experience Brokers have raised margin cover requirements in times of volatility but I have'nt seen them ever refuse trades when these requirements are met.

Cheers, JB.

I should start an ASX thread...  Might do that - but for now...

Today - would probably look to buy off the lows into the 1pm and close-of-day binaries. 

Please feel free to post trade suggestions, users of the community should be aware that this is a public forum and any views expressed are those of the contributor and therefore should be aware of any risks.

This is a space for sharing and discussing thoughts/ideas so your contribution is welcome and encouraged!

Archived