Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

When will Gold rally begin?

Recommended Posts

Like many contrarians I believed Gold would rally off the Monthly Fib 50% and I also believe that it is the only asset worth holding in the current financial environment.  Interestingly Gold has been tracking stocks of late (or at least there is a similarity of movement) having been in a bear since 2011 in line with pretty much all commodities.  This recent rally is also in line with other commodities but in the case of the others I anticipate another large leg down whereas with Gold I think we will see a long term Bull as stocks and bonds crash.  

 

The Fundamentals

The reason Gold is different to other commodities is that it has no intrinsic value as a commodity and yet it is a physical asset like a commodity.  It primary uses are jewelry and as a store of wealth.  I think Gold increases in the post credit crunch rally (at least up to 2011) and this year are simply as part of diversified portfolios but this relationship may disconnect during a widespread market crash as Gold becomes the safety repository du jour.  I do not think the disconnect has yet occurred and probably will not until until close to or just after the asset bubbles burst, which I do not think has happened yet but may be close.  Commitment of Traders was at all time highs on both Gold and Silver last month, signaling a reversal bear move, and now that pressure is easing off a bit but for how long?  Alas it is not as simple as thinking Gold will rally as stocks drop, as can be seen with historic movements and also of late.

 

The Technicals

I have vacillated on whether or not Gold has put in a wave 1 or A top or has another leg up to go.  If Stocks and bonds go on another leg up one could see Gold and Silver do the same but if stocks then crash will Gold do likewise or rally away.  Currently my view is that we have indeed seen a wave 1 top and are currently in a wave 2 retrace.  On Silver this could reach close to the Fib 50% but on Gold we are only approaching the Fib 23%.  It is not unusual for Silver to gyrate more wildly than Gold so that is not an issue.  However a wave 2 retrace that is only 23% is not very strong so either we are setting up for a major wave 3 rally (definitely possible...) or further retracement is on the cards.

 

On the Daily chart below there is a Triangle formation encompassing the retrace so far and if it runs in a A-E fashion then a touch on the lower edge soon could bring up a rally.  Alternatively we could see a deeper retrace towards the Fib 38%.  Alas it is murky on this market just now so patience is required.  I would buy a strong bounce off the lower Triangle but might sit out a breakout down to wait for a later buy signal.  Until things clarify I think there are better opportunities elsewhere just now.

 



 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi 

 

I believe in the A-E fashion with the expectation of no Fed rate hike.

Down to around 1290 till Wednesday, then the wave 3 until December.

Wednesday will be very hard to trade, they can push it till 1260 before going up...

 

Of course it all depends on Fed. 

I think fed will pass again.

 

What you think ?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post

I do think the Fed will do nothing again  but I couldn't bet the house on it.  I also think this market comes back down to the lower Triangle line area before a strong rally away if the Fed bottles it again OR a strong move down if they do grow a pair...

 

I am not so sure about it being a strong wave 3 **** he set up might support that but either way a no USD rate rise is a good place to get Long.

Share this post


Link to post

 I should have also added to my last post, as I have mentioned elsewhere, that we have to be in our guard against a pre FOMC rally given that the odds seem to be at about 15% for a rate hike.

Share this post


Link to post

It is very unclear as to what the federal reserve is going to do. I don't think, they know what they going to do themselves?

 

Numbers last week do not suggest that they are going to interfere with rates this month. If I recall correctly, retail sales and factory production was lower. I guess the attitude should be let's just wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post

Hearing the BOE a week before, they gave a good idea of what the decision was going to be a week later. On the other hand, all FED speakers seems to have different decision on the rate hike and they are causing more harm to the investors. I think that the fed won't increase the rate in September as all other Central banks are looking into another decrease.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      7,620
    • Total Posts
      39,070
    • Total Members
      49,233
    Newest Member
    alexserfu
    Joined 17/10/19 17:13
  • Posts

    • Hi everyone,  so, those of you following my FTSE - Daily Trades thread may know, I'm looking for new strategies to tackle the market. Was starting to think about this today and made a few thoughts. First one I came up with in the process is the following and utilises 'Andrew's Pitchfork' a rather odd name for a simple principle.   Thought Process I was going back to the basics and starting to think about the fundamentals of trading: Buy low and sell high. Or go short high, and buy back low later. So the key of my new strategy has to somewhat depended on these fundamental trading principles. Next I was thinking, looking at a chart, in what region can the price considered to be "low" and in what region would I consider it to be "high". I was looking at a 5min chart and looking at the whole day. I was drawing one line at the low of day, one line at the high of day, those are obviously the extremes where everyone can agree prices are low / high. Then I draw a line right in the middle between the two, where the price is neither high nor low. Then I draw a line at 25% and one at 75% and said, if the price is between the low of day (0%) and 25%, I consider the price to be low. If the price is between 75% and high of day (100%) I consider the price to be high. In between (25%-75%), it's neither high nor low. If I'd somehow manage to always buy in the low range and sell in the high range (or go short vice versa), then this could be a decent strategy. The next problem I was facing is, I've done this analysis on the previous day, where we know high and low of day. How can this strategy work out for future price movements, where high and low of day are unknown. Andrew's Pitchfork This is where the Pitchfork comes in. The assumption I'm making is that if I extrapolate the 4 required levels (low of day, high of day, 25% and 75%) from the previous day to the following day, the strategy still works. This is because more often than not, prices move up and down around a certain level, without breaking away from it and moving onto the next level. (This obviously has to be proven with data - more to that later) The way the pitchfork works is exactly how the 4 required levels are drawn up. The pitchfork is defined over 3 points: High, Low and Mid-point. It then draws 5 levels on the chart: High (100%), 75%, Mid (50%), 25%, Low (0%) So how does it work The way I imagine it to work is the following: 1) Identify previous day's high and low 2) Draw the pitchfork in the chart with aligning its high and lows on the daily high and low. The mid point is exactly in the middle of daily high and low. This draws a horizontal pitchfork in the chart. 3) When the price of the asset falls below 25%, place a buy stop order at the 25% level. Once the price rises again and breaks through that level, the order gets executed. (vice versa with shorting above the 75% level) 4) Stop Loss is right below (size of the spread) the low of the pitchfork. Target is somewhere above 50%-75%. You have at least a 1:1 risk-to-reward ratio. Need to calculate target level by asset based on historic patterns. Does it work? Don't know yet. So far I've manually painted a few of those pitchforks in the chart for the past couple of days on FTSE100, NASDAQ, CL and NG and it seems it works more often than it doesn't. Cases where it clearly doesn't work is when there's a strong move to either direction, aka price breaks-out and moves to a different level than it was the day before. Interestingly when this happens, the strategy wouldn't necessarily always result in a loss, but sometimes the entry conditions would never be triggered in the first place. E.g. if we start the day already in the high region (above 75%) and then never fall below it - no order triggered on that day. On the negative side, huge breakout opportunities are missed with this strategy, so worth looking into a complementary strategy which works specifically for break-outs. Next steps Next, I'm trying to backtest the strategy. Will need to pull a whole lot of data and analyse. Hope to have that done over the weekend. Will update the thread accordingly. Data I'm trying to get: Win ratio, Where's the optimum take profit level, Time of day where this usually plays out (my idea is to hook this in with the ATR analysis I've done and trade this pattern at times of high ATR, aka FTSE, DAX in the morning, NASDAQ, NG, CL in the afternoon)  First success First successful example trade taken this afternoon on CL. You see nicely how the pitchfork is drawn on the chart and is derived by the high and low of the previous day. At 14.30 today the price dipped below the 25% level. I set the buy stop order at the 25% level, which got triggered at 14.35. The price afterwards makes a sweep move up to the 50% level, where my limit sell order gets triggered at 15.15. It would've been possible to play it up until the 75% level, but wanted to be safe, without having the data yet. Could've been luck - who knows.   What do you think of this approach?        
    • just to add to bigdeal's reply SBs can be either cash/daily funded bet or futures/forward which have a separate chart accessed from the dropdown box next to the chart title. for cash/dfb there is no expiry but you paid an overnight interest fee, this charge does not apply to futures/forwards which have a larger spread instead. see pic.
    • https://www.home.saxo/insights/content-hub/articles/2019/10/17/emerging-market-stocks-just-break-out-of-a-20-month-downtrend
×
×