Jump to content

2 Factor Authentication Please


Guest Feedback Trader

Recommended Posts

Guest Feedback Trader

Hey everyone,

it's 2020 and I really need a IG 2FA ūüė®¬†here with apps like Authy, Lastpass or Google Authenticator to secure my IG Account. Please let users create Auth Codes for 2FA, Backupcodes and so on. Please do not implement own 2FA Apps. No one does this anymore.

The built in option is so out of date - and in the app store you never do updates! 

PLEASE Ig - implement a 2FA. Even banks¬†do have authentication. Why not the best of them - IG ‚̧ԳŹ¬†? Look at facebook, instagram, github, apple, coinbase... And if I am really lucky you will also build an option to allow us traders a login with USB Hardware Keys.

"""Two Factor Authentication gives the user and system administrator a peace of mind as it ensures that even if the users password is compromised the account cannot be accessed without also knowing not only the method used as the second factor but also having access to the second factor such as a dynamically generated one-time password (OTP) or biological token."""

If you need more Feedback on 2FA please feel free to contact me. I can give you a lot of superb examples.

 

Thank you.

Your

Feedback Trader

Link to comment
On 23/06/2020 at 23:11, Guest Feedback Trader said:

Hey everyone,

it's 2020 and I really need a IG 2FA ūüė®¬†here with apps like Authy, Lastpass or Google Authenticator to secure my IG Account. Please let users create Auth Codes for 2FA, Backupcodes and so on. Please do not implement own 2FA Apps. No one does this anymore.

The built in option is so out of date - and in the app store you never do updates! 

PLEASE Ig - implement a 2FA. Even banks¬†do have authentication. Why not the best of them - IG ‚̧ԳŹ¬†? Look at facebook, instagram, github, apple, coinbase... And if I am really lucky you will also build an option to allow us traders a login with USB Hardware Keys.

"""Two Factor Authentication gives the user and system administrator a peace of mind as it ensures that even if the users password is compromised the account cannot be accessed without also knowing not only the method used as the second factor but also having access to the second factor such as a dynamically generated one-time password (OTP) or biological token."""

If you need more Feedback on 2FA please feel free to contact me. I can give you a lot of superb examples.

 

Thank you.

Your

Feedback Trader

Thanks for your feedback. 

We had 2FA but there were some issues for some clients, I will pass this onto our development and technical team to investigate. 

We understand your trading sites need protecting so I will let them know it's vital for some traders. 

All the best 

Link to comment
Guest Feedback Trader

Thank you @CharlotteIG¬†I am really looking forward to this.Without 2FA I really feel uncomfortable ūüė£ and I really do need this. I find myself checking my account too many times a day. I would have fewer withdrawals and deposits if I knew my account is absolutely secure.

@dmedin

absolutely. IG does provide API Trading but no 2FA.

Link to comment

2FA at least via Google/MS Authenticator is a must. IG Authenticator is way too cumbersome to login with daily to glance my positions, particularly when the password is masked.

It would be WAY better if it could utilise push notification via mobile device, the way Microsoft Passport works. Clients should feel encouraged in using this without it being an obstacle.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Guest Trader Joe
On 26/06/2020 at 05:58, dmedin said:

The thought of having thousands of pounds protected only by a password makes me cringe ...

Hey who wants to "steal" your pounds?  They can't move your monies to their bank accounts.  IG only pay to your authenticated linked bank account.  Think about it ok?  Stop worrying and trade happily.

Link to comment
Guest Trader Joe
On 26/06/2020 at 05:58, dmedin said:

The thought of having thousands of pounds protected only by a password makes me cringe ...

Hey who wants to "steal" your pounds? They can't withdraw your monies into their bank accounts.  IG only pay out into your authenticated linked bank account anyway.  Stop worrying and start trading happily.

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 04/07/2020 at 10:47, Guest Trader Joe said:

Hey who wants to "steal" your pounds? They can't withdraw your monies into their bank accounts.  IG only pay out into your authenticated linked bank account anyway.  Stop worrying and start trading happily.

At the risk of going against the grain if you do implement this please give users the ability to either use it or not and don't make it a requirement please. I hate having to use 2FA in situations where it's not needed and my equipment is secure and not everyone is married to their phone. The current login method is fine by me and quick, no hassle. And as GTJ above pointed out, as far as I'm aware no one can steal your money, it can only go back to your cards and bank accounts.

Am perfectly fine if others require 2FA but would be livid if IG changed this and not give users the ability to use the old login method as well. I hate being treated like a child, am quite capable of ascertaining what is at risk or not without it being forced upon me.

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, phoenix said:

Am perfectly fine if others require 2FA but would be livid if IG changed this and not give users the ability to use the old login method as well. I hate being treated like a child, am quite capable of ascertaining what is at risk or not without it being forced upon me.

 

Do you use online banking?

It doesn't matter how great you think you are, that's not the point.  If IG's internal systems get hacked, your money is gone.

I suggest you get some education on this matter before you proffer your opinion.

Edited by dmedin
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, dmedin said:

 

Do you use online banking?

Everyone does but honestly I don't see the same issue¬†here as none of my money can be moved to someone else's account. If someone wants to go to the lengths of¬†hacking into my account just to look at my positions, they are welcome¬†ūüôā. My point is I just prefer the ease of quick login esp during volatile periods and when IG systems are down and only certain users can log in (which has happened a few times recently). Same when you want to add funds, if the market is moving quickly, I'd rather not have the extra 15-30secs (or longer) it may take to do it, sometimes it makes a difference. Well in my case it has anyway so its pretty important to me.¬†Without going into detail, I guess everyone's situation is different.

I don't have an issue¬†at all if IG implement 2FA, by all means go for it, keeps everyone pleased. I just don't want to be forced to use it unless I think its necessary for me and then I may think of doing it. I think everyone should have a choice as far as possible. That way everyone's happy¬†ūüėÄ

Edited by phoenix
Link to comment
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been more than 6 months and IG has not done anything. The 2FA app is out dated. At least make IG log in form with password and 2FA code separated fields so that it is less error prone to copy and paste. Common, look at competitors, trading212, HL, their apps are way better

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

People have mentioned that it is only possible to move your money to the linked bank account and that is sufficient for protection. While that is true, a mischievous hacker can still buy garbage instruments and drain your money, even if they may not get a penny of it. Why would they do that? Well, why do vandals exist? 

Is it the same two factor authentication factor mechanism that is used for IG ISA account as well? I'm with HL and CSD already and they both have memorable word protection at least, where you only enter some of the letters of that word meaning the probability of someone getting all letters of the memorable word on top of the password is significantly reduced. In some ways that could be even better than 2FA apps like Authy if their recovery passwords are stored in the same place as you store the rest of your passwords.

In any case, I would like IG to support these 2FA apps. It would have made me less hesitant to open an IG ISA.

 

Link to comment
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2022 at 13:53, Charlie7 said:

Is there any feedback from the development team if this is on the roadmap?

 

On 10/01/2022 at 13:49, IThinkImInvesting said:

If IG's internal systems gets hacked would 2FA help anymore?

 

On 10/01/2022 at 13:42, IThinkImInvesting said:

People have mentioned that it is only possible to move your money to the linked bank account and that is sufficient for protection. While that is true, a mischievous hacker can still buy garbage instruments and drain your money, even if they may not get a penny of it. Why would they do that? Well, why do vandals exist? 

Is it the same two factor authentication factor mechanism that is used for IG ISA account as well? I'm with HL and CSD already and they both have memorable word protection at least, where you only enter some of the letters of that word meaning the probability of someone getting all letters of the memorable word on top of the password is significantly reduced. In some ways that could be even better than 2FA apps like Authy if their recovery passwords are stored in the same place as you store the rest of your passwords.

In any case, I would like IG to support these 2FA apps. It would have made me less hesitant to open an IG ISA.

 

 

On 01/11/2021 at 18:43, blobface said:

A year on, still no go on the industry standards. Please escalate this to higher priority... 

 

On 22/04/2021 at 13:24, rittfeldt said:

Imagine every service you use with 2fa use their own solution. I cannot se why IG can't use industry standards as suggested in the thread? Are they considered at all for the (near-ish) future?

 

On 18/02/2021 at 15:24, dak said:

It has been more than 6 months and IG has not done anything. The 2FA app is out dated. At least make IG log in form with password and 2FA code separated fields so that it is less error prone to copy and paste. Common, look at competitors, trading212, HL, their apps are way better

 

On 30/01/2021 at 12:52, dirufan said:

Please adopt an industry standard implementation for 2FA. 

 

On 21/08/2020 at 20:28, phoenix said:

Everyone does but honestly I don't see the same issue¬†here as none of my money can be moved to someone else's account. If someone wants to go to the lengths of¬†hacking into my account just to look at my positions, they are welcome¬†ūüôā. My point is I just prefer the ease of quick login esp during volatile periods and when IG systems are down and only certain users can log in (which has happened a few times recently). Same when you want to add funds, if the market is moving quickly, I'd rather not have the extra 15-30secs (or longer) it may take to do it, sometimes it makes a difference. Well in my case it has anyway so its pretty important to me.¬†Without going into detail, I guess everyone's situation is different.

I don't have an issue¬†at all if IG implement 2FA, by all means go for it, keeps everyone pleased. I just don't want to be forced to use it unless I think its necessary for me and then I may think of doing it. I think everyone should have a choice as far as possible. That way everyone's happy¬†ūüėÄ

 

On 21/08/2020 at 20:09, dmedin said:

 

Do you use online banking?

It doesn't matter how great you think you are, that's not the point.  If IG's internal systems get hacked, your money is gone.

I suggest you get some education on this matter before you proffer your opinion.

 

On 21/08/2020 at 19:54, phoenix said:

At the risk of going against the grain if you do implement this please give users the ability to either use it or not and don't make it a requirement please. I hate having to use 2FA in situations where it's not needed and my equipment is secure and not everyone is married to their phone. The current login method is fine by me and quick, no hassle. And as GTJ above pointed out, as far as I'm aware no one can steal your money, it can only go back to your cards and bank accounts.

Am perfectly fine if others require 2FA but would be livid if IG changed this and not give users the ability to use the old login method as well. I hate being treated like a child, am quite capable of ascertaining what is at risk or not without it being forced upon me.

 

On 05/07/2020 at 18:35, Packman11 said:

IG International doesn't even have the 2FA option, really disturbing :(

 

On 01/07/2020 at 15:48, tommy8A said:

 

You're right on that one.

 

On 01/07/2020 at 09:42, ShaunnyB said:

2FA at least via Google/MS Authenticator is a must. IG Authenticator is way too cumbersome to login with daily to glance my positions, particularly when the password is masked.

It would be WAY better if it could utilise push notification via mobile device, the way Microsoft Passport works. Clients should feel encouraged in using this without it being an obstacle.

 

On 26/06/2020 at 11:23, Guest Feedback Trader said:

Thank you @CharlotteIG¬†I am really looking forward to this.Without 2FA I really feel uncomfortable ūüė£ and I really do need this. I find myself checking my account too many times a day. I would have fewer withdrawals and deposits if I knew my account is absolutely secure.

@dmedin

absolutely. IG does provide API Trading but no 2FA.

 

On 24/06/2020 at 00:11, Guest Feedback Trader said:

Hey everyone,

it's 2020 and I really need a IG 2FA ūüė®¬†here with apps like Authy, Lastpass or Google Authenticator to secure my IG Account. Please let users create Auth Codes for 2FA, Backupcodes and so on. Please do not implement own 2FA Apps. No one does this anymore.

The built in option is so out of date - and in the app store you never do updates! 

PLEASE Ig - implement a 2FA. Even banks¬†do have authentication. Why not the best of them - IG ‚̧ԳŹ¬†? Look at facebook, instagram, github, apple, coinbase... And if I am really lucky you will also build an option to allow us traders a login with USB Hardware Keys.

"""Two Factor Authentication gives the user and system administrator a peace of mind as it ensures that even if the users password is compromised the account cannot be accessed without also knowing not only the method used as the second factor but also having access to the second factor such as a dynamically generated one-time password (OTP) or biological token."""

If you need more Feedback on 2FA please feel free to contact me. I can give you a lot of superb examples.

 

Thank you.

Your

Feedback Trader

 

Hi Community members,

We will be hosting a IG Client Feedback Session - Multi-Factor Authentication. Please see below for more details.

 

All the best - MongiIG

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Have there been any improvements? I would have attended this feedback session if I had seen the above post in time.

IG's log in security really needs to be updated on the apps, website and phone. I have had an IG trading account for a very long time but this 2FA issue is making me consider moving to another spreadbet broker such as OANDA or Pepperstone. 

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

@MongiIG Thanks for noting that. Are there anymore recent updates here? The current system is absolutely *awful* for the following reasons:

 1) You need an additional app, when everyone already has generic authenticator apps they use for all of their other accounts (mainly Google Authenticator, and sometimes Authy)

 2) You have to concatenate the code onto your password. This conflicts with form autosubmit when your credentials are automatically filled. The browser will also ask if we would like to update our password *every time* we log in because of this

 3) I have to special-case how I do my IG authentication because it decided to roll its own solution. This is such a pain when it comes to managing security across my many accounts online

It would be great if security here could be improved and prioritised! Thanks.

Link to comment
14 hours ago, tpunt94 said:

@MongiIG Thanks for noting that. Are there anymore recent updates here? The current system is absolutely *awful* for the following reasons:

 1) You need an additional app, when everyone already has generic authenticator apps they use for all of their other accounts (mainly Google Authenticator, and sometimes Authy)

 2) You have to concatenate the code onto your password. This conflicts with form autosubmit when your credentials are automatically filled. The browser will also ask if we would like to update our password *every time* we log in because of this

 3) I have to special-case how I do my IG authentication because it decided to roll its own solution. This is such a pain when it comes to managing security across my many accounts online

It would be great if security here could be improved and prioritised! Thanks.

Hi @tpunt94

Thanks, I will follow up with our development team with an update.

 

All the best - MongiIG

Link to comment
On 13/09/2022 at 22:37, tpunt94 said:

@MongiIG Thanks for noting that. Are there anymore recent updates here? The current system is absolutely *awful* for the following reasons:

 1) You need an additional app, when everyone already has generic authenticator apps they use for all of their other accounts (mainly Google Authenticator, and sometimes Authy)

 2) You have to concatenate the code onto your password. This conflicts with form autosubmit when your credentials are automatically filled. The browser will also ask if we would like to update our password *every time* we log in because of this

 3) I have to special-case how I do my IG authentication because it decided to roll its own solution. This is such a pain when it comes to managing security across my many accounts online

It would be great if security here could be improved and prioritised! Thanks.

Hi @tpunt94

The development team is currently working on improving the MFA process and the proposed concept will not include our own app and eliminate the issues with autofill.

All the best - MongiIG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 3 months later...

The purpose of this post is to give credit to IG for optionally enabling 2 factor authentication. At my first glance at the instructions in Settings, I mistakenly believed that I would only be able to use my phone to log in. As it turns out, the IG Authentication app simply generates the authentication codes which then can be entered on any internet device including my pc. Brilliant! I now feel so much more secure having deposited 5 digits.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Yes please make MFA optional - not mandatory.  Not all Brokers have this yet.

One of my now former brokers use the national public MFA, and I really felt the "two points of failure" more than once. Where the authenticator then denied me any access to my platform. Not funny at all when in a trade, lucky they had a fast direct line to the tradingfloor.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      21,652
    • Total Posts
      91,954
    • Total Members
      41,936
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 11:53

    Newest Member
    Amirpouya
    Joined 28/03/23 01:58
  • Posts

    • Micron Technology is poised to post a loss of 66 cents per share on another drop in revenue. Three months ago, sales fell 41% to just over $4 billion. ¬†Jeremy Naylor¬†|¬†Analyst,¬†London¬†| Publication date:¬†Tuesday 28 March 2023¬† The chip industry is still suffering from distortion originating from the Covid-19 pandemic. Orders soared during 2020 and 2021 to supply a technology boom, pushing Micron and other chip makers to produce more. Now, in the context of fears of a recession, they are left with excess inventories and are being forced to wind down their capital investment budget. ¬† Micron earnings Tonight after the close of¬†Wall Street¬†we've got an all-session stock reporting earnings, which could be interesting.¬†It is the chip company,¬†Micron Technology. It's poised to post a loss of $0.66 per share. Revenue is expected to continue declining to $3.75 billion. Three months ago, sales fell 41%, just over $4 billion. So it's on this downward trajectory. As I say it is an all-session stock on the IG platform. You'll be able to take a tilt at this in the markets after the close. It will open at 9:00 this morning, UK time at 60.08, that's $60.08 a share. Share price chart Look at the pressure the stock has been under. The semiconductor industry generally still suffering from distortion originating from the Covid-19 pandemic. Orders soaring during 2020 and 2021 to supply a technology boom, pushing Micron and other chip makers to produce more. Now, in the context of fears of a recession, they are left with excess inventories and are forced to wind down their capital investment budget. Micron Technologies reporting after the bell this evening on this Tuesday, 28th of March.
    • Investor Spotlight: banks buckle, energy fades, tech returns We examine what‚Äôs driving the outlook for US fundamentals, and hone in on one stock from each of the financial, energy and tech sectors. ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†
    • European banking confidence improves significantly as German IFO rises. ¬† Source: Bloomberg ¬† Indices¬†DAX¬†Technical analysis¬†FTSE 100¬†Financial services¬†Pullback (differential geometry) ¬†Tony Sycamore¬†|¬†Market Analyst,¬†Australia¬†| Publication date:¬†Tuesday 28 March 2023¬† Reports that US officials will expand lending facilities to banks and confirmation of the acquisition of SVB's loans and deposits by First Citizens bank have helped restore a sense of calm to European banks and equity indices overnight. Also providing support, the release of robust macro data as Germany's IFO business climate index rose to 93.3 from 91.1 in February, the highest print since the Russian invasion of Ukraine (chart below). The bulk of the gains in the headline IFO index was driven by firmer expectations for the forward-looking Business expectations, which rose to 91.2 from 88.4 in February. The current conditions index also rose to 95.4 from 93.9 in February. The strong IFO number confirms the upside surprises in last week's flash PMI data. German businesses remain optimistic despite recent banking stress, which is expected to weigh in future months via tighter lending. IFO chart ¬† Source: Trading Economics Given central bank's stubborn focus on inflation, there will be keen interest in European inflation data later this week, which is expected to fall following sharp declines in wholesale energy prices. The flash estimate of Euro Area Harmonised inflation (Friday) is expected to print at 7.1% in March, down from 8.5% in February and well below its peak of 10.6% in October German Headline inflation (Thursday) is expected to fall to 7.3% in March from 8.7% in February. DAX technical analysis The view remains that the Dax completed a five-wave advance (Elliott Wave) from the October 11,829 low to the recent 15720 high and is currently tracing out a corrective pullback. The bounce from the 14617 low is viewed as Wave B or the second wave of the correction, which is missing another leg lower into the 14,400/14,200 support band. However, if the Dax first breaks above trendline resistance and the recent highs 15,700/20 area, it would indicate the correction is complete at the 14,617 low, and the uptrend has resumed. DAX daily chart ¬† Source: TradingView FTSE technical analysis The break below the band of horizontal support 7700/7650 in Mid-March confirms that a medium-term high is in place at the February 8047 high and that the FTSE is currently tracing out a corrective pullback. The bounce from the 7206 low is viewed as Wave B or the second wave of a three-wave correction that has room to extend back to resistance at 7700 before a deeper decline towards 7100/7000 in the weeks ahead. FTSE daily chart ¬† Source: TradingView TradingView: the figures stated are as of March 23rd, 2023. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This report does not contain and is not to be taken as containing any financial product advice or financial product recommendation.
×
×
  • Create New...