Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

GBP/USD

Recommended Posts

Hi, any idea why the cable shot back up to 1.25 level? With Brexit on top of Covid spend, this is hard to understand. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, razz said:

Hi, any idea why the cable shot back up to 1.25 level? With Brexit on top of Covid spend, this is hard to understand. thanks

USD slump ahead of NFP rather than a GBP rise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi. I agree with Caseynotes, except that, in addition, I also feel there may be a little optimism for the pound as well. Two consecutive days up, and going up today also. Has broken up through the down channel from the 10 June. There is a slight buoyancy in the market I think from a belief that a Brext deal can be reached before the end of the summer and that a widely available Covid-19 vaccine may be within reach too. I think the Europeans are beginning to realize that a no deal is actually quite bad for them, especially given where the Euro is economically. Therefore, they may be more accommodating of the UK trade deal terms. I feel this has also added to the strengthening of the pound in this week.

On the down side, Britain just picked an argument with China over Hong Kong. Covid-19 will come back to bite as we open up the economy (look at Leicester) and the EU has announced that it is bracing itself for a no deal with the UK. I wouldn't accept that the pound is in a proper upward trajectory until it broke above 1.285, and then 1.35.

Let's see what US NFP brings and the outlook for the US economy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Look out for a MACD crossing and red dot to go short ...

GBP_USD_20200702_17_01.thumb.png.976532d43314787859235d6acb37463b.png

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, robertbowler said:

what are the grren and red dotted lines havent seen them before 

Hi, they are the PSAR (Parabolic Stop and Reverse) from the indicator list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

hiya thanks i just found it.. been missing a trick on that one .. will start incorporating it 

  • Great! 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 02/07/2020 at 17:40, JJP said:

Hi. I agree with Caseynotes, except that, in addition, I also feel there may be a little optimism for the pound as well. Two consecutive days up, and going up today also. Has broken up through the down channel from the 10 June. There is a slight buoyancy in the market I think from a belief that a Brext deal can be reached before the end of the summer and that a widely available Covid-19 vaccine may be within reach too. I think the Europeans are beginning to realize that a no deal is actually quite bad for them, especially given where the Euro is economically. Therefore, they may be more accommodating of the UK trade deal terms. I feel this has also added to the strengthening of the pound in this week.

On the down side, Britain just picked an argument with China over Hong Kong. Covid-19 will come back to bite as we open up the economy (look at Leicester) and the EU has announced that it is bracing itself for a no deal with the UK. I wouldn't accept that the pound is in a proper upward trajectory until it broke above 1.285, and then 1.35.

Let's see what US NFP brings and the outlook for the US economy.

The GBP was rallying last week as was the strongest currency, this week it's strength has been surpassed by the NZD. It is still strong along with AUD and CAD. There are no real fundamentals supporting this strength though, just broad-based optimism. Along with the comments mentioned above, last week, Chief economist Andy Haldane, was predicting a V-shaped recovery for the UK. The GBP is now a risk currency, so it could also be rising just based on the switch to risk in the markets. With the Yen, USD, CHF and EUR all performing much weaker than risk currencies at the moment, I predict  GBP/USD GBP/JPY will gain but in regards to  GBP/AUD, the AUD will outweigh the GBP to send this back to towards its long term downward trend. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 02/07/2020 at 10:40, JJP said:

Hi. I agree with Caseynotes, except that, in addition, I also feel there may be a little optimism for the pound as well. Two consecutive days up, and going up today also. Has broken up through the down channel from the 10 June. There is a slight buoyancy in the market I think from a belief that a Brext deal can be reached before the end of the summer and that a widely available Covid-19 vaccine may be within reach too. I think the Europeans are beginning to realize that a no deal is actually quite bad for them, especially given where the Euro is economically. Therefore, they may be more accommodating of the UK trade deal terms. I feel this has also added to the strengthening of the pound in this week.

On the down side, Britain just picked an argument with China over Hong Kong. Covid-19 will come back to bite as we open up the economy (look at Leicester) and the EU has announced that it is bracing itself for a no deal with the UK. I wouldn't accept that the pound is in a proper upward trajectory until it broke above 1.285, and then 1.35.

Let's see what US NFP brings and the outlook for the US economy.

6 days later and it could be that we are on the way. Does the market still feel buoyant after the Chancellor's Summer Economic Update? I went long today and immediately lost 30 points before restoring. I hate long term trading. Back to scalping for me. :-)

image.thumb.png.73f361a139bb7928b43712926470728d.png

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Trading GBP is like tossing a coin and hoping for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Not following eir lead today;

er?  eurusd

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/07/2020 at 06:12, majicktrader said:

The GBP was rallying last week as was the strongest currency, this week it's strength has been surpassed by the NZD. It is still strong along with AUD and CAD. There are no real fundamentals supporting this strength though, just broad-based optimism. Along with the comments mentioned above, last week, Chief economist Andy Haldane, was predicting a V-shaped recovery for the UK. The GBP is now a risk currency, so it could also be rising just based on the switch to risk in the markets. With the Yen, USD, CHF and EUR all performing much weaker than risk currencies at the moment, I predict  GBP/USD GBP/JPY will gain but in regards to  GBP/AUD, the AUD will outweigh the GBP to send this back to towards its long term downward trend. 

Interesting analysis. I wonder if AUD can maintain its strength given how low the Australian interest rate is. With no carry trade benefit and the economy in the biggest contraction for the last 30 years, I feel it does not currently offer a good expectation of return. However, as you say, it is very buoyant. Maybe the speculative market is mistaking general dollar weakness for risk on sentiment. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

er?  eurusd

Huge wild swings up and down = no trend to follow = lose money

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Huge wild swings up and down = no trend to follow = lose money

er, are you referring to the eminently tradable recent medium term range? 

image.thumb.png.514165de353418aa522c479dec566c39.png

take a look at the video in the last post of the technical analysis thread (trading support and resistance revisited).

  • Great! 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×