Question: Why the same patterns on different trades?

Hi there, I was comparing which markets to trade on the 1 hour time frame, and I've noticed that the FTSE100, Germany 30 and France 40, have all been following the same pattern for the last couple of days!

Why is this? Surely they should be different because they are different markets?

• Great! 1
  • Thought provoking 1
11 hours ago, MissClaire said:

Hi there, I was comparing which markets to trade on the 1 hour time frame, and I've noticed that the FTSE100, Germany 30 and France 40, have all been following the same pattern for the last couple of days!

Why is this? Surely they should be different because they are different markets?

Hi, all the companies listed in the major indices are international and so are linked to the fortunes of the western countries as a whole and especially to the spending power of the mighty US consumer. The S&P tends to lead though an increasing case could be made for Nasdaq and the others tend to follow.

In the Indices thread I've been using Dow as a leading indicator for the Dax for a number of years. The one out of sync has been FTSE ever since the start of the Brexit uncertainty.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, all the companies listed in the major indices are international and so are linked to the fortunes of the western countries as a whole and especially to the spending power of the mighty US consumer. The S&P tends to lead though an increasing case could be made for Nasdaq and the others tend to follow.

In the Indices thread I've been using Dow as a leading indicator for the Dax for a number of years. The one out of sync has been FTSE ever since the start of the Brexit uncertainty.

Thanks for telling me that. Appreciated.