Open Offer Position Opened Automatically.

nit2wynit

Question

Hi, never enouncounted this, but someone is sure to tell me it's all my fault.

I was trading SIG Plc a while back.  Something appeared on my positions re an offer of 30p.  It wasn't doing anything.  I actually spoke to IG about it to say the offer was there if I wanted to take it.  I said I didn't.

Now I have an automatic bid on it.  It's running without my knowledge.  WTF!  and it's negative.

2 answers to this question

More info to add.

I was Short on Sig. Plc.  I couldn't close the position and had to call IG.    I was told i could close the position if I wanted to, but i left it open.  The Open Offer was still there but i said I didn't want to keep it.  I was told if i left it, it would expire and nothign would happen.  I eventually Closed my Short in profit on the 23rd June!  I haven't traded Sig since then.  The Open offer was sitting in my Positions as 0!  Nothing.  Now today I have in my History the Closed Offer position.  PL showing as 0. but I have a Short Position open at 30p, and it's currently at 35p.

Well if anyone else is interested, here's an update.

I had a Short position on SIG Plc on the 19th June 2020.   My chart froze sometime after either hours or days I'm not sure, with the message to Call to Trade only.  I called and a guy tried to explain what had happened.  There was an Open Offer and the market was temporarily closed.  I asked him what it meant and he said don't worry.  Do nothing and it will expire, so I left it.  I closed my Sig Short on the 23rd June.

I received an email from IG dated 23rd June at 13.41.  Note that it's the 23rd!.  In the email the Expiry of the Offer was the 22nd June!  The Day Before.!    

I've called IG again today after 40 mins on hold and a 20 mins conversation to be told that the previous guy i spoke to has put in his notes I asked about advice on an open offer on a LONG position!!!!    If it was a Long Position i could leave it and it would expire no consequence.   What he didn't tell me was that If it was a Short position I needed to Close my Trade by the 22nd.. The 22nd!  I called before then!.   I didn't get the email until the 23rd telling me the expiry was the 22nd.

What the hell has happened here?

Edited by nit2wynit

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• @Franswa38, if I'm not mistaken, on your photo you're pointing at April 17 22:45 BST 15 minute ask candle. If I'm not mistaken, at that point in time, EUR/USD bid-ask spread was around 0.00050. If you are basing your 42 pips in profit on the demonstrated ask graph, you're ignoring the spread you will have to pay to close long position - you will sell using bid, not ask price. If you subtract ~0.00050 spread from 42 pips you think you're in profit, $9.28 makes much more sense. In short, to monitor the profit on a long position you need to look at the bid, not ask graph. For that, click on the "Ask" text near "15 Mins" and choose "Bid". You should use ask graph only when you're opening long position, not when you're monitoring it.   P. S. From the photo alone, I would imply the bid price was where the horizontal blue line is, much lower than the ask price you're pointing at.
    • Yes I agree Guru, giving current examples is a good way of doing it! I have been trading for over 20 years and in the last 11 years I found myself mainly trading DAX (Germany) 40, because it is the easiest and most profitable. Which market do you find easiest to trade, Guru? Does anybody else find DAX easier to trade than other markets?  I am interested in hearing other traders' experiences.
    • Source: Coingecko  Source link: https://www.coingecko.com/research/publications/2024-q1-crypto-report The cryptocurrency sector has experienced significant growth in 2024, driven by events like Lugano city's acceptance of crypto payments and the approval of the Bitcoin spot ETF. The industry's market cap reached a record high of $2.9 trillion, with $1.1 trillion added in Q1 alone. Bitcoin surged to a new peak of $73k, surpassing its previous ATH of $68k. Top centralized exchanges like Binance, Bitget, OKX, and Bybit saw substantial growth, with Bitget particularly excelling in derivative trading. Bitget's open interest exceeded OKX's and ranked closely behind Binance and Bybit. Spot trading volume surged from $29B in January to $95B in March, elevating Bitget to the top 7 spot in the spot market and maintaining the 4th position in the derivative market among major centralized exchanges. While other exchanges also witnessed significant growth, Bitget's standout performance has made it the focal point of industry attention. What are your impressions of these findings?
us