Jump to content

Share price updating


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, because you are looking at and trading on IG's nasdaq market.

Yes I know. But NASDAQ should be closed right now? Why are the prices still updating?

Edited by jeantan
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, jeantan said:

Yes I know. But NASDAQ should be closed right now? Why are the prices still updating?

The actual nasdaq exchange is closed but IG's nasdaq market is open. The IG market tracks the underlying market and when the underlying is closed uses the underlying futures market to derive prices and so is able to stay open 24/5.

 

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

The actual nasdaq exchange is closed but IG's nasdaq market is open. The IG market tracks the underlying market and when the underlying is closed uses the underlying futures market to derive prices and so is able to stay open 24/5.

 

Does that mean I can't execute trades? Is it like an indicative price before the market opens?

Link to comment
1 minute ago, jeantan said:

Does that mean I can't execute trades? Is it like an indicative price before the market opens?

yes you can execute trades, as @jlz says, you aren't trading the actual index on the actual exchange but are trading on IG's tracking market, all large brokers do this to provide a continuous trading platform for their clients.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

yes you can execute trades, as @jlz says, you aren't trading the actual index on the actual exchange but are trading on IG's tracking market, all large brokers do this to provide a continuous trading platform for their clients.

I put in an order and the price went below my order but it didn't get filled. This happened a few times over the span of an hour. Do you know why?

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, which platform are you using? mt4, IG's own web based, prorealtime.

 

Ig's own web based. Now pre-market is open and my order is not going through

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.08.50 pm.png

Edited by jeantan
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, jeantan said:

Ig's own web based

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 9.08.50 pm.png

not sure, so it was a buy limit which was below the current price which then went down below your order level but didn't trigger the entry, presuming this was after the US stocks all sessions market opened at 9am (uk).

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

not sure, so it was a buy limit which was below the current price which then went down below your order level but didn't trigger the entry, presuming this was after the US stocks all sessions market opened at 9am (uk).

Yes I made the order 9pm Melbourne time. I just resubmitted the order above the latest price and it's still not filling :( 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, jeantan said:

Yes I made the order 9pm Melbourne time. I just resubmitted the order above the latest price and it's still not filling :( 

ok, I think I would ask by email if they could look and see what was wrong with the order.

isn't netflix going down like a brick in the US pre-market, you last order was a buy limit.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, I think I would ask by email if they could look and see what was wrong with the order.

isn't netflix going down like a brick in the US pre-market, you last order was a buy limit.

I'm trying to call them but I've been on hold for 30 mins. Yes so doesn't that mean if the price goes under $525.95 then it should fill? Now it's $521, so it should definitely fill, right?

Link to comment
1 minute ago, jeantan said:

I'm trying to call them but I've been on hold for 30 mins. Yes so doesn't that mean if the price goes under $525.95 then it should fill? Now it's $521, so it should definitely fill, right?

the blue +1 quantity says you are looking to buy (go long expecting price to rise) and being a limit means the order will trigger as price drops down to the level of your order, so you are expecting price to go down to your order level then reverse back up.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, jlz said:

image.png.c9283552964f1ccc2e1446fb9ad26700.png

I am not sure if I am pointing to the right hole, but the settlement period is T + 2 days, does that mean that you will get settled in 2 days at that price?  

yeah that's right (on the Share Dealing account, also needs to go through Citibank first) but the problem here  is getting the entry order accepted in the first place.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

the blue +1 quantity says you are looking to buy (go long expecting price to rise) and being a limit means the order will trigger as price drops down to the level of your order, so you are expecting price to go down to your order level then reverse back up.

Now I'm confused. My order should've gone through. I put an order at $524 and now it's $519. Did I put my order in wrong?

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Caseynotes said:

yeah that's right (on the Share Dealing account, also needs to go through Citibank first) but the problem here  is getting the entry order accepted in the first place.

So the problem really is that no one is willing to take the other side of the trade for it to be filled. 
Looking at the size it is a bit odd , 1 coin shouldn't be a problem. Like you said , it is better to speak to them. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, jeantan said:

Now I'm confused. My order should've gone through. I put an order at $524 and now it's $519. Did I put my order in wrong?

Are they not saying "you have a better option at 519, your order shouldn't be filled because the market price is better for you, so we don't fill your order". 

Edited by jlz
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, jlz said:

So the problem really is that no one is willing to take the other side of the trade for it to be filled. 
Looking at the size it is a bit odd , 1 coin shouldn't be a problem. Like you said , it is better to speak to them. 

i'm thinking this is on a cfd account rather than the share dealing account.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Caseynotes said:

i'm thinking this is on a cfd account rather than the share dealing account.

I'm on share trading account. It says so on under my name. Am I meant to put a "stop" buy order instead of a "limit" buy order?

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, jeantan said:

I'm on share trading account. It says so on under my name. Am I meant to put a "stop" buy order instead of a "limit" buy order?

no that looks right, that's the share dealing (non-leveraged) account and a buy limit order to buy when price goes DOWN to your order level.

you would use the buy stop order if waiting for price to go UP to your order level.

not sure why you haven't been filled last 2 times, just lucky I guess, if you had bought at 524.95 you would be down about £700 by now.

Link to comment
Just now, Caseynotes said:

no that looks right, that's the share dealing (non-leveraged) account and a buy limit order to buy when price goes DOWN to your order level.

you would use the buy stop order if waiting for price to go UP to your order level.

not sure why you haven't been filled last 2 times, just lucky I guess, if you had bought at 524.95 you would be down about £700 by now.

I just spoke to someone on the phone. I was meant to put Expiry: Day (All sessions). Not Good 'til cancelled. Order went through when I changed the expiry. Wow I would not have guessed that was the problem... I wish the description was better.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      20,144
    • Total Posts
      88,264
    • Total Members
      69,127
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    NBB
    Joined 06/10/22 20:50
  • Posts

    • US Stocks: AAPL, AMZN, NVDA, TSLA, GOOGL, BRK.B, SQ, META, NFLX, ENPH, MSFT, BAC, JPM. Elliott Wave  SP500 US Stock Bear Market: AMZN, AAPL, NVDA, TSLA, GOOGL, BRK.B, SQ, META, NFLX, ENPH, MSFT, BAC, JPM, GS. Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Stock Market News: The nonfarm payrolls on Friday, but more importantly would be the CPI on the 13th Oct as the Feds are firmly focused on Inflation. Stock Market Summary Elliott Wave Count: Tracking two different Elliott Wave counts. Analysis US Stocks: Tesla TSLA, Amazon AMZN, Nvidia (NVDA), Apple AAPL, Microsoft MSFT, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK/B), Block, Inc (SQ), Meta Platforms, Netflix (NFLX), Enphase (ENPH), Alphabet GOOGL. XFL Finance Sector ETF, JPMorgan JPM & Bank of America BAC, Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) Stock Market Trading strategies: The risk reward is not there, so no trading strategy Video Chapters 00:00 SP500 09:06 Apple (AAPL) 12:58 NVIDIA (NVDA) 14:12 Amazon (AMZN) 16:07 Meta Platforms (META) 18;20 Netflix (NFLX)  19:12 Enphase (ENPH) 21:34 Tesla (TSLA) 28:09 Alphabet (GOOGL)  29:09 Microsoft (MSFT) 30:03 Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) 31:56 Block Inc. (SQ)  34:01 Banks JPM, GS 37:58 End. Thanks for supporting! Analyst Peter Mathers TradingLounge™ Australian Financial Services Licence - AFSL 317817 Source: tradinglounge com      
    • Why is this stock unavailable to open for non-Pro clients? Surely a fund is less risky than an individual stock.
    • Hi @Kgrp74 Thank you for reaching out.  HMRC rules don't allow you to hold foreign currency in an ISA, but you can still buy international shares. The gains on currency conversions are only seen and credited in the account once you sell the shares if the currency rate is favorable to you. We also have to consider the 0.5% spread added to the exchange rate and commission charges which would normally offset your profits.  Thanks, OfentseIG
×
×
  • Create New...