Day trading- 3 months later, my experience

Thank you very much for your post.

I have been trading since the end of June and I thought that I was just being an idiot. When I am day trading, I keep looking at the screen and then I panic as soon as the trade goes the wrong way and I lose money.

I am analysing the charts and drawing channels and trend lines but I am still making losses.

To be honest I don't know how people can make a living out of this trading. I keep losing what I make.

I will take your advice and keep a copy of the charts - daily/hourly and 15 min. I do usually use daily/hourly and 30 min charts. I can't get my head around the 1 minute charts; they just make me panic more and when I have used them, I have made the wrong decisions and traded.

I have been following with great interest the various comments re your ‘baptism of fire’ over the last few months.
From my own personal experience and testing the advice of others, a comment made on another platform that sticks with me very forcefully is: “the only aspiration of the market is to persuade you to pay more for your shares than they are worth and then to buy them back from you at a much lower price”.

Whatever the ‘news management’ or any other marketing stratagems used, these are exclusively for the sole purpose of making money for the market at your/my expense. 
Call me a cynic, but nothing I have seen over the last 4 years convinces me otherwise.
True value has its place but it is hard to find and the ‘retail’ (that is us) usually arrives on the scene after the profit bus has already left.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 30/07/2020 at 11:58, DavyJones said:

I have come to the preliminary conclusion that only fast moving stocks or big news you can make money DTing. I did ok on EasyJet recently and FTSE is absolutely tanking today (i got in late) but for the majority  of stocks  is just not worth trying .

I think I will start looking more towards swing trading in the next month and easy off DT. The overnight risk is a concern but as you say you can always use  Share dealing but with UK stocks you have the charges. US I find much better 

I believe you are correct and also, active trading won't make big money in the short-term but it will beat the 2% or less that savings accounts will net you.  As to whether it beats buying an S&P 500 ETF and doing nothing, that remains to be seen :)

Edited by dmedin

For day trading you need a broker who does not eat your profits in the name of conversion and commission. IG is the worst.

with falling USD there is no point in dealing with shares for IG. Example 

1) Bought SPOT 50 shares at $253

1) 2 hours later sold SPOT at $256.

Return -£25 (yes negative)

They say they don't charge commissions but their conversion rates are so different for buy and sell that you are just donating them your research, hardwork and profit.

Did the same experiment with DEGIRO ended up with £100+.

• Like 1

Swing trade shares FTW.

21 hours ago, yosoh said:

For day trading you need a broker who does not eat your profits in the name of conversion and commission. IG is the worst.

with falling USD there is no point in dealing with shares for IG. Example 

1) Bought SPOT 50 shares at $253

1) 2 hours later sold SPOT at $256.

Return -£25 (yes negative)

They say they don't charge commissions but their conversion rates are so different for buy and sell that you are just donating them your research, hardwork and profit.

Did the same experiment with DEGIRO ended up with £100+.

Cheers, I made a post about the exact same thing , up $87, profit -£52 in 2 mins! Will check out Degiro. 

On 07/08/2020 at 05:44, FranticFred said:

I have been following with great interest the various comments re your ‘baptism of fire’ over the last few months.
From my own personal experience and testing the advice of others, a comment made on another platform that sticks with me very forcefully is: “the only aspiration of the market is to persuade you to pay more for your shares than they are worth and then to buy them back from you at a much lower price”.

Whatever the ‘news management’ or any other marketing stratagems used, these are exclusively for the sole purpose of making money for the market at your/my expense. 
Call me a cynic, but nothing I have seen over the last 4 years convinces me otherwise.
True value has its place but it is hard to find and the ‘retail’ (that is us) usually arrives on the scene after the profit bus has already left.

One personality trait I noticed, I turn on my IG account , check the markets, news and usually with 15minutes I make a trade. That makes no sense, Its like I am just looking for an excuse to trade  . A good trade didn't happen to coincide with the moment I randomly decide to open IG 

22 hours ago, dmedin said:

I believe you are correct and also, active trading won't make big money in the short-term but it will beat the 2% or less that savings accounts will net you.  As to whether it beats buying an S&P 500 ETF and doing nothing, that remains to be seen :)

I am still leaning towards there are profits to be made if you put in the hard work and further that you need to focus on particular assets. I trade silver more that anything and have about 70% hit rate now, however my one trade yesterday wiped out twice anything I made on silver since I started! Dumb mistake, I could have sworn I put on a stop with PRT but on the IG platform it did not registered , I should have checked! Was £250 up, went to supermarket came back £1400 down! Same with Gold, was 350 up, swing trade running last few days, stop moved up to swing low within 30 mins it dropped and stopped me out at £5 up,  I didn't sleep well last night, turning over in my mind what thinking about how reckless I was! That could be the half bottle of whisky I drank though to drown my sorrows. haha

Again it's these these foolish mistakes are costing me badly. However I suppose the positive side is they that are fixable mistakes, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, DavyJones said:

Cheers, I made a post about the exact same thing , up $87, profit -£52 in 2 mins! Will check out Degiro. 

One personality trait I noticed, I turn on my IG account , check the markets, news and usually with 15minutes I make a trade. That makes no sense, Its like I am just looking for an excuse to trade  . A good trade didn't happen to coincide with the moment I randomly decide to open IG 

I am still leaning towards there are profits to be made if you put in the hard work and further that you need to focus on particular assets. I trade silver more that anything and have about 70% hit rate now, however my one trade yesterday wiped out twice anything I made on silver since I started! Dumb mistake, I could have sworn I put on a stop with PRT but on the IG platform it did not registered , I should have checked! Was £250 up, went to supermarket came back £1400 down! Same with Gold, was 350 up, swing trade running last few days, stop moved up to swing low within 30 mins it dropped and stopped me out at £5 up,  I didn't sleep well last night, turning over in my mind what thinking about how reckless I was! That could be the half bottle of whisky I drank though to drown my sorrows. haha

Again it's these these foolish mistakes are costing me badly. However I suppose the positive side is they that are fixable mistakes, 

Maybe options?

9 hours ago, Kodiak said:

Maybe options?

One needs to have a special kind of autism to be able to understand charts like that.

On 08/08/2020 at 09:00, Kodiak said:

Maybe options?

John is one of the nicest people I have ever met - Best thing I ever did was buy him a coffee at the London Traders expo in 2011 (ish) and get him to sign a copy of his book, as the 10 min conversation that followed for the price of a coffee before he took to the floor was enlightening.  

On 07/08/2020 at 10:02, dmedin said:

Swing trade shares FTW.

a platform should not dictate what strategy to use for gaining maximum profits. In the end it depends on the setup of the trade you are doing which one to go for.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, yosoh said:

a platform should not dictate what strategy to use for gaining maximum profits. In the end it depends on the setup of the trade you are doing which one to go for.

It's not the platform that's 'dictating' how one ought to trade, it's the structure of the fees and commissions.

A common complaint against day trading in the academic community is that after fees and commissions, most 'day traders' fail to outperform an S&P 500 tracking ETF.

Edited by dmedin

Hello guys,

I have all G10 spreadsheets developed based on Anton Kreil's Professional FOREX Trading Masterclass (PFTM). The analysis is based on the Global Macro strategy and it is provided by the Institute of Trading and Portfolio Management (ITPM). All spreadsheets are very fast while opening and using them, data is available on the one-click through hyperlinks below each scorecard. Since the sheets were made using one layout it will be easy to change color palette, text font, and the templates of the graphics as per your desirable color. You will get for free COT report and action price spreadsheets that update automatically just by refreshing it. All of this including education itself.

Following is contained:

• Endogenous Analysis - for all G10

• Exogenous Analysis - for all G10

• Commitment Of Traders (COT) - It contains flip historical data, currency technical analysis, moving average, ATR volatility, statistical - probability analysis.

• Master Sheet - For easier comparison, it has all analyzes mentioned above combined in one place, additionally, it has portfolio performance statistics, kelly criterion, Endo & Exo cross-rates of all G10 currencies compared between, contained is exposure margin sheet for easier management of your profit margins.

Kindly find attached screenshot of the sheets for your reference, If you are interested in purchasing them or should you have any questions regarding this content, feel free to contact me directly on the following e-mail: mile_aida@hotmail.com

Sincerely,

DP

00 Analysis and Self Discipline - Excel 7_30_2020 5_03_02 PM.png

0 Analysis and Self Discipline - Excel 7_27_2020 10_14_55 PM.png

0 Analysis and Self Discipline - Excel 7_27_2020 11_47_57 PM.png

ALL CURRENCIES_COT_TA_PA_ATR_2020 - Excel 7_27_2020 10_26_05 PM.png

ALL CURRENCIES_COT_TA_PA_ATR_2020 - Excel 7_27_2020 10_26_32 PM.png

Exogenous_AUD_USD - Excel 7_27_2020 10_23_46 PM.png

Exogenous_AUD_USD - Excel 7_30_2020 5_26_53 PM.png

United States Endogenous Analysis - Excel 7_27_2020 10_18_50 PM.png

United States Endogenous Analysis - Excel 7_27_2020 10_19_03 PM.png

United States Endogenous Analysis - Excel 7_27_2020 10_19_24 PM.png

United States Endogenous Analysis - Excel 7_27_2020 10_20_06 PM.png

United States Endogenous Analysis - Excel 7_27_2020 10_21_01 PM.png

To my mind there are two basic strategies plus money management.

1. Focus on just one or two shares that have a logical relationship, indices or currency pairs. Not all at once, but just two from the same genre so that you have something to compare with.

2. Discover by observation (not by chucking money at them) what time frame works well with the Guppy Moving Average + Ichimoku (with only the two colour fills; Senkou span A & B in play). If using IG platform, then you can switch out the Tenkan, Kijun and Chikou San).
Some indices will lead you a wild goose chase except on very short timeframes 30s or 1minute or the longer time frames, 2 or 3 hrs but you need to observe, observe and observe.
SMA 50 and 200 SMA can be useful to get a sense of trend.

Think of it like planning a fishing trip. If you do not plan, usually you do not catch, unless you take a young grandchild with you who disobeys all the rules and out-catches you.
BUT he is gambling with your fishing gear so he has nothing to lose.

Sorry if I started to get wordy.