How much is a point in CFD Stock trading?

Apologies if this is super obvious, but I literally can't find this anywhere on the IG help site or forums. And I've made the mistake 5 times now, trying to set trailing stops on a position but incorrectly calculating how much "1 point" actually is and getting stopped out.   Sometimes "1 point" seems to be $0.10, sometimes it seems to be $1.00. Help please! 

How much is 1 point when setting a trailing stop on stock in CFD trading?

I've found this from "Investopia":

Points in Stocks and Other Securities

Just to add to the confusion, a point has a different definition when used to describe the price movement of a bond, a futures contract, or a stock.

• A two-point increase in a bond's price indicates a 2% change in its value, such as an increase from $10,000 to $10,200.
  • A two-point increase in a futures contract correlates to an increase of two-hundredths of a cent, the equivalent of 2% of a penny.

A two-point increase in the price of a common stock share is a $2 increase, such as a $100 stock rising to $102.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    A256
    Joined 26/10/20 02:35
    • Are you seeing what I'm seeing, Jasmin? 🤯
    • Look, I will gladly get paid to do technical analysis and never put another trade on in my life 😘
    • Here's the value of the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF tracker at the start of February and most recent price:     Here's the SPDR  S&P U.S. Dividend Aristocrats by comparison       The SPDR index has an annual yield of 2.53% and a five-year annualized return of 12.19% The Vanguard index has an annual yield of 1.47% and a five-year annualized return of 16.39%   So my question is, why would anybody choose the Dividend Aristocrat index over the S&P 500 index?