Importance of not to forget the big picture

Dead obvious for you experienced folks on here but updating my trade notes from yesterday, I realised what a silly mistake I was make .

I was trying to test a trade off the open, I noticed from the screeners  on PRT that the  QQQ was down from previous day's close. I saw 3 big Red bars on 2 min time frame with large volume so I thought I'd test a quick SHORT trade. In and out in 5 minutes at £1 a point got me £25, cool. 

However looking at the bigger picture this morning, that is looking at the 2m, 15m and 1 hour chart  I realised it was a foolish trade to take for a few reasons

• Spreads too wide for a short trade, 
  • I only was looking at the 2min time frame (right 1/3rd window of attachment) 
  • Most important, a very strong Bull trend has been going on 

I got luckily this  but it highlighted the need for 

• reviewing trades and seeing what happens after trades close out 
  • Top down approach
  • when doing short trades like that , you don't have time to think so perhaps a checklist is in order

Anyway hope it helps other less experience people like myself 

PS: if I let that run all day following the MA and trailing stop it could've been a very profitable trade

QQQ.jpg

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      14/01/21 09:51

Newest Member
    Eklypse3681
    Joined 19/01/21 18:53
    • So trading has opened and the value of the shares is still wrong. Time to move brokers. Matter for the FSA?
    • Yardley Yeadon @MichaelYeadon3 11h Replying to @itvnews @MattHancock No variant is proven to be more harmful that the original. The trend of respiratory viral evolution is to lower lethality & greater ease of transmission, which is consistent with there being 40 viruses which cause symptoms of the common cold. You’re fighting evolution, just stop   Meanwhile this web site extols the virtues of jogging and cycling wearing a mask, while the video below it has a more realist take on masks. Joggers and cyclists should wear masks – here's why (theconversation.com)       .
    • So, I contacted IG support. They said it would be a WEEK before I could access my shares. A WEEK! Any chance of profit gone, left with the pickings after the market has taken whatever value it wants out of the new company. Still waiting for feedback from 'the enterprise team', whoever they are. FT has my holding up by 28.6% in shares, plus whatever premium the market adds (currently around 7%). Unacceptable.