The pesky FX component....

Over the last week I have been cashing out of my portfolio , mostly US stocks, all pretty good (average 20%) rtn but when I look this morning and did the analysis , it took a big dent due to the adverse USDGBP Fx move in the last 3 months . 

IG have this unfair rule (in my view) that they don't waive the $15 commissions unless you elect to have all currencies automatically converted back to GBP, so question is  how to hedge  the FX components, 

Would be fiddly to keep buying an ETF every time I trade USA and SB long term would just use margin up  and overnight charges 

• Like 1
On 31/07/2020 at 21:24, dmedin said:

Could you not hedge by spread betting or taking out a CFD on GBP/USD?

problem is that CFD's ends up being costly. I think it's the only way  though but if you try hedge having 20 positions all put on and off at different times , it needs a lot of management not to mention the accumulation of overnight charges , as the SB could be on for years if the US share  is still profitable 

Looks like not much options though

• Thought provoking 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Stock Market Report S&P 500,  NASDAQ 100,  RUSSELL 2000,  DAX 40,  FTSE 100,  SPY, QQQ, META, AMZN, MSFT, NVDA, ASX 200. Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Elliott Wave Analysis Indices: Meta Platforms should find support in the 400 - 380 area. Amazon dropped less but has the same bearish pattern and these moves move the Nasdaq and SP500 which in turn moves the DAX etc. Today I look at the bigger picture and the details on these stocks and Indices to make sense of the next possible pathways. Video Chapters 00:00 SPY, QQQ, META, AMZN, MSFT, NVDA 05:39 SP 500 (SPX)  SPY 09:25 NASDAQ (NDX)  QQQ 11:35 Russell 2000 (RUT) 12:41 DAX 40 (DAX) 14:43 FTSE 100 UKX (UK100) 17:08 S&P/ASX 200 (XJO) 23:59 End Analyst Peter Mathers TradingLounge™ Australian Financial Services Licence - AFSL 317817 Source: tradinglounge com  
    • Yes Goldenbrown, I think you make a good point about being careful when trading.  In my opinion, only trades which are calculated to have a high probability of being correct should be placed. DAX is a market that can look daunting at first, but after a lot of study and experience with it, I have found it to be easier than the others. If you would like to see the answers to your other points, please see my IG Community Profile. Best regards.
    • Renzo leads the charge in revolutionizing staking protocols through the implementation of EigenLayer. This pioneering approach streamlines user re-staking while addressing concerns regarding operator selection and reward management. Participants stake ETH and earn APR from both native and EigenLayer restaking, receiving ezETH tokens—liquid assets for DeFi. Renzo's vision extends to interoperability across Ethereum and Layer 2 chains like Arbitrum, Linea, Mode, Base, BNB, and OKX, ensuring accessibility across diverse ecosystems.Renzo's standout feature lies in the ezETH token's appreciation over time, driven by promised APR, potentially offering superior returns. Seamlessly integrated into DeFi liquidity pools and lending protocols, ezETH provides diversified earning avenues. Compared to similar projects, Renzo distinguishes itself with its innovative liquid staking and interoperability. Supported by investments from Binance Labs and OKX Ventures, Renzo's listing on exchanges like Bitget further solidifies its significance. With 10% allocated for ETH stakers, Renzo fosters community engagement.Eager to explore how Renzo's liquid staking model stacks up against traditional staking? Let's delve into the details!"    
us