How can others see where your stop losses are?

Hi all, 

Is this true and if so can some institutions?  Go around basically trying to work against at least retail traders?  I'm thinking of things like high frequency trading?  Would this happen on a demo account as well?  Just trying to judge if this is something to take into account in the differences between demo/real.  I think i have paranoia sometimes when i see the market reverse literally as i enter or it reverses hits my stop and then turns back at that point! I've basically stopped looking until positions close themselves because i feel like others are watching and purposefully moving the market against me ha ha.  Of course even if this is true its not a move against me personally as an individual trader but often it feels like it.

• Like 1

It is not as simple as flagging your stops so others can see it. Our stops are essentially orders that have not been executed yet, they will be available in the market as a pending order at a particular level. They will not be there as "stops" per se. Level 2 market depth can show the number of orders that are currently available, more or less like the picture below.

Everyone that have access to this kind of data (normally at a fee) can see where those "stops orders" are.
What financial institutions have is "buying power", if your stops are part of a cloud of retail traders orders at  a particular level, an institution can execute a much bigger order that will push the price into a direction that will reach those orders. 
You feel that the market is against you because your behaviour is predictable, probably because of the technical analysis that you are using.  

image.png.213cf86de867cf42f19bf5b66f25f9ec.png

44 minutes ago, u0362565 said:

Thanks for the info, certainly any order i have out there is in a sea of other orders so using an actual stop loss vs a mental stop seems irrelevant.

We all think at some point that we are important enough, so the "market" is against us. 

The reality is that if we use the same indicator chances are that we will land in the same range of prices so we will be part of the same cloud of orders.  

• Sad 1

I call it a wash and rinse - it happens often at swing lows and swing highs, as they are the obvious place for stops to be placed at, the "science" of the markets means that these places are often hit because of what the market HAS to do to move.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      14/01/21 09:51

Newest Member
    smk
    Joined 08/03/21 18:50
    • Hey @Kkr76,  I hope you're well.  Firstly the transfer would be between Share dealing to share dealing account. Not share dealing to ISA. I will go through the steps you can take to do that after the steps below on how to get your shares to IG.  So with share dealing transfer you can do on by opening an account with IG. Once opened you can fill our our transfer form by selections MyIG> Live accounts> Change 'Account you're viewing' to share dealing> Transfer. Follow the steps from there. Transfers take around 4-6 weeks depending on how cooperative Halifax is.  Share dealing to ISA transfer We can't make transfers from a share dealing to an ISA account so once we have the shares in the share dealing account you have 2 options:  Option 1: Sell the shared on your Share dealing account, wait for the funds to settle 2/3 working days, move the money to your ISA, buy the share back  Option 2: You can transfer shares from your share dealing account to ISA via the Bed & ISA process, which involves selling the shares and repurchase them on the ISA account. This process can be done over the phone with one of our dealers. It'll cost £40 in commission per line of stock to sell the shares on share dealing account but free of charge to repurchase on the ISA. There will also be spread costs which is capped to roughly £30 per line of stock, however, this is generally cheaper for the majority of stocks.   If you have any other questions let me know by quoting my comment or putting @CharlotteIG
    • I spent Friday re-adding the stop losses and today when I have gone onto the new platform all my working orders were once again set to -NaN.  I followed alex9686 and just re-entered the values manually and they seem to have set. But its very worrying that it keeps deleting the quantities on my working orders and makes we worry that the stop losses are totally useless and can't be relied on?  Can anyone from IG offer some advice please. 
    • Hey,  The US line is available on the share trading account:  You can find the available to trade time zones in the get info section.  Let me know if you need anything else.  All the best