Jump to content

Question about how profit is added to account


Recommended Posts

Hi all, complete noob to trading - I've been playing with a demo account for a few weeks, today opened a live Spread Betting account.

Dipping toes very cautiously into water as follows:

  • Deposited £250
  • Opened a position at 25p per point to short the FTSE (sell at 5942.2)
  • Closed the position (buy at 5936.9)
  • Notification stated £1.33 profit as expected
  • However funds now read £250.13, ie only 13p of profit.

How come the full £1.33 wasn't added?

 

Link to post
16 hours ago, MrMicawber said:

Hi all, complete noob to trading - I've been playing with a demo account for a few weeks, today opened a live Spread Betting account.

Dipping toes very cautiously into water as follows:

  • Deposited £250
  • Opened a position at 25p per point to short the FTSE (sell at 5942.2)
  • Closed the position (buy at 5936.9)
  • Notification stated £1.33 profit as expected
  • However funds now read £250.13, ie only 13p of profit.

How come the full £1.33 wasn't added?

 

Thanks for your post. 

You're correct the profit on the account should be (5942.2 - 5936.9) x 0.25 giving you a profit of £1.33. 

If this is not reflecting on your account please reach out to our help desk on helpdesk.uk@ig.com so they can look into this. 

All the best 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
55 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

....

You're correct the profit on the account should be (5942.2 - 5936.9) x 0.25 giving you a profit of £1.33. 

If this is not reflecting on your account please reach out to our help desk on helpdesk.uk@ig.com so they can look into this. 

....

Thanks for this - but I think it's ok.  I did some further research, and discovered the Trading Analytics function under 'My IG'. 

This referenced the adjustment, and I now understand how Dividend Adjustments work!  I had closed the position a little after 4.30pm and hadn't understood the significance of this.

So the discrepancy was just a consequence of my ignorance.  I clearly have a lot to learn!

 

Edited by MrMicawber
  • Like 2
Link to post

Check out the weekly dividend post (at the top of the forum), if you're short the FTSE on c^m-dividend day then you will get whopped with a fee at 16:30 in addition to the daily interest fee.  (But if you're long, you will be credited the dividend at 16:30 😇 )

Edited by dmedin
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Check out the weekly dividend post (at the top of the forum), if you're short the FTSE on c^m-dividend day then you will get whopped with a fee at 16:30 in addition to the daily interest fee.  (But if you're long, you will be credited the dividend at 16:30 😇 )

Cheers!  Yes, I discovered that post too after a bit of searching.

  • Great! 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      13,747
    • Total Posts
      68,534
    • Total Members
      57,397
    • Most Online
      5,137
      14/01/21 09:51

    Newest Member
    Maricica58
    Joined 24/01/21 09:51
  • Posts

    • Take 10 minutes to read what actual 'experts' are saying about this latest Ferguson Fiasco and how the testing is currently being done.   ...on the oFPR, I commend to you that you disregard the daily “X thousands of new infections yesterday” headlines. These reports are just not true. These statements assume (if they’ve thought about it at all) that the oFPR is zero, which it certainly isn’t. That value could...    Thread by @MichaelYeadon3 on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App
    • Speaking of depressingly low 'levels of intelligence' the UK govt and SAGE sink to new depths. The govt now desperately trying to back track out of outright propaganda lies.     Reaction  @reactionlife Breaking: 30 per cent more lethal claim rests on “fragile and uncertain evidence”, says NERVTAG member. "NERVTAG has expressed limited confidence in this figure, which should not be the basis for public alarm." - Reported by @alastair_benn: 30 per cent more lethal claim rests on "fragile and uncertain evidence", says NERVTAG member - Reaction  
×
×
  • Create New...