9 minutes ago, jlz said:

Change the record, it is broken.

F*king hell, what are you proving there?

How much are you selling it for, and why aren't you a millionaire yet?

Share it with your family and you'll all be millionaires.  So you can spend your time in tropical paradise instead of posting to desperate gullible b4stards on here :)

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

F*king hell, what are you proving there?

I am simply proving that my account is exactly like yours, that I am not a "merchant" and anything you say about me is just out of your own frustration. 

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 15:26, jlz said:

@HMB

Just in case it could improve anything, this is a message that I get from IG on my dashboard.

Untitled.png.32bdce38bb20efbb94c7864e85185fdf.png

I personally think that shorter time frames are bound to failure. I can' prove it, I am just talking from my own experience. It is difficult to let your trades run over a few days because of the DFB fee but in the long run it pays out.

FWIW here is a video of someone who could trade 250 times a day. But with the preparation and focus required, I think it is the exception which proves the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK58oT5GTGE

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

FWIW here is a video of someone who could trade 250 times a day. But with the preparation and focus required, I think it is the exception which proves the rule.

Interesting, I took a few notes. He plays Nasdaq stocks and waits for institutional moves looking at level 2 orders.

He sits down for 6 hours non-stop in front of the screen, I don't know if I could do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndrewS said:

interesting that Schlossberg points to discipline and flexibility - which at first "sight" sounds like a trade-off

On 15/09/2020 at 23:58, HMB said:

ok, closed the trade and entered Dec future long instead (stop 12800).  (R2 here = closing/intraday ATH, I guess..?  will watch out for that..)

looking forward to the money rolling in...  happy to split the virtual demo funds...  ;) 

stop hit - now much lower, no signal..

...think we've seen the obligatory opening reaction to yesterday's move...;

1014895361_Germany30_20200929_03_22.thumb.png.769c69200a0846737b7877a33a5a72d8.png

3 minutes ago, HMB said:

...think we've seen the obligatory opening reaction to yesterday's move...;

1014895361_Germany30_20200929_03_22.thumb.png.769c69200a0846737b7877a33a5a72d8.png

closed at 12817.4 - need a break...

506931162_Germany30_20201001_16_07.thumb.png.3d94d340325d7ed14fe3a08a0ace3073.png

Not investment advice...  ;)

range expansion to continue (next target < 13540...)?

696411975_Germany30_20201002_05_02.thumb.png.1020933eac884ed37e2bf73f4dd68886.png

Posted (edited)

Try using MACD to help give you a sense of momentum and direction

Edited by dmedin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

(...looks like still support around 12600 - reducing size here and moving stop of the remainder to 12635)

Edited by HMB

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, HMB said:

range expansion to continue (next target < 13540...)?

696411975_Germany30_20201002_05_02.thumb.png.1020933eac884ed37e2bf73f4dd68886.png

typo - 12540 of course, sorry

Edited by HMB
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Try using MACD to help give you a sense of momentum and direction

does that work?  to me all indicators seem lagging - if I see anything looking at them at all.  I need a view of what might happen in the future and why (in other words:  anticipate the very rich exploiting opportunities to take money from the less rich).

To me at best an indicator works as a self-fulfilling prophecy - which with all the automated trading, indicator trading courses, and guided algorithms may become ever more accurate, admitted.

but I I'm not an expert at all.

let me try to learn - why is MACD better than RSI?   or what does it tell you and when?

Edited by HMB
  • Great! 1

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

RSI is also very good

ok, how do you use it?

2 minutes ago, HMB said:

does that work?  to me all indicators seem lagging - if I see anything looking at them at all.  I need a view of what might happen in the future and why (in other words:  anticipate opportunities for the very rich to take money from the less rich).

To me at best an indicator works as a self-fulfilling prophecy - which with all the automated trading, indicator trading courses, and guided algorithms may become ever more accurate, admitted.

but I I'm not an expert at all.

let me try to learn - why is MACD better than RSI?

Indicators lag the market price, you can set the Indicator for certain things - using the default setting of an Indicator is about as bad as you could get it - If you blindly trade an Indicator it will not result in mega riches if it works as desired at all

That being said you can structure a Indicator to do certain things which can result in them working much better than blindly trading them

ALL Indicators measure MOMENTUM of price action - the maths inside the Indicator determine how it "looks" on a chart and what values it gives

It depends on your trading method as to how you use an indicator - but for getting into a trade right near a low point I don't think you can beat RSI 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HMB said:

ok, how do you use it?

I've found the most use for it on a daily chart, when RSI diverges from price at a bottom (lower price, higher RSI) and during an uptrend when the price is very far away from moving averages and RSI is very overbought, it's a sign to get out.  The MACD is useful for entering positions though.

• Like 1

Just now, THT said:

Indicators lag the market price, you can set the Indicator for certain things - using the default setting of an Indicator is about as bad as you could get it - If you blindly trade an Indicator it will not result in mega riches if it works as desired at all

That being said you can structure a Indicator to do certain things which can result in them working much better than blindly trading them

ALL Indicators measure MOMENTUM of price action - the maths inside the Indicator determine how it "looks" on a chart and what values it gives

It depends on your trading method as to how you use an indicator - but for getting into a trade right near a low point I don't think you can beat RSI 

thanks!  guess it makes sense to have a view on momentum (i.e. on what momentum traders are likely to do).  will keep your assessment of RSI in mind!

2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

I've found the most use for it on a daily chart, when RSI diverges from price at a bottom (lower price, higher RSI) and during an uptrend when the price is very far away from moving averages and RSI is very overbought, it's a sign to get out.  The MACD is useful for entering positions though.

thank you!  I guess if you have some experience using these, it becomes more intuitive.  I will try to keep an eye on them.  

30 minutes ago, HMB said:

typo - 12540 of course, sorry

Apologies again for the typo - really stupid not to check this.  maybe should have left the position displayed in the chart as before to avoid misunderstandings.

lowered the stop now to 12613.5, simply because this would already be a relatively large gain for a single trade for me, and I somehow sense high probability that someone "messes up" the range expansion pattern/move (like a super rich guy taking money from the very rich...) - it kinda would have worked too well  (although Denise Shull points out that it's sometimes the best trades that come with this feeling).

1489648205_Germany30_20201002_06_18.thumb.png.9c0e685e0e3af055826853a76013583f.png

27 minutes ago, HMB said:

(although Denise Shull points out that it's sometimes the best trades that come with this feeling).

You're effectively minimizing your winners, and it will result in making less money :(

55 minutes ago, dmedin said:

You're effectively minimizing your winners, and it will result in making less money :(

what do you mean?  sorry, I don't get how this relates to the quote (or the trade)

1 hour ago, HMB said:

lowered the stop now to 12613.5, simply because this would already be a relatively large gain for a single trade for me,

^

This.  Although I do it myself, moving your stop can mean that you limit your profits.  Better to trade with a fixed risk to reward and let it run till the end.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, dmedin said:

^

This.  Although I do it myself, moving your stop can mean that you limit your profits.  Better to trade with a fixed risk to reward and let it run till the end.

Thanks, I understand.  

Maybe this is generally true, I genuinely don't know.  It would have run further this time, sure, but I've seen my profits melting away often enough.

Edited by HMB
  • Great! 1

On 16/09/2020 at 12:03, Caseynotes said:

You need 1 indicator for trend direction and force (degree of slope) and a sharper indicator for a trigger. I would use RSI for trend not trigger, same for psar.

this may seem totally unrelated - and I may be missing the point...  but above comment made me think about how to use different time frames more systematically (so thanks again!)...:

Today I believe was a good example case: after NDX overnight low was finally taken out, I tried to catch an expected rebound early.  lost a bit with fake signals I "believed to see" on the 1 min and 10 sec chart..  however the actual rebound was then indicated by higher lows in the one second chart.

probably this was highly dependent on the circumstances today though (Don Quarantino vs Stimulating Nancy...), the extent of the drop, Friday afternoon, etc.

nevertheless will try to keep this (always checking the shorter time frame chart before opening/closing a trade) as a component of a  - slightly - more systematic approach.. 

Are you convinced that you're going to be able to trade profitably, consistently?  Any evidence to back up that view?

29 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Are you convinced that you're going to be able to trade profitably, consistently?  Any evidence to back up that view?

No, I'm not.  And for that I have plenty of evidence.

5 minutes ago, HMB said:

No, I'm not.  And for that I have plenty of evidence.

This is all a waste of time and money ... 

Really need to kick the habit.