Trailing Stops on Contingent Orders

Guest Boad

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any reason that trailing stops cannot be set on contingent orders? I cannot always be at my machine to convert a stop to a trailing stop when the order is triggered. 

Is there any possibility this feature can be added please?

Cheers

CB

• 4 months later...

You are not the only one who would like this. I'd like to be able to place an order to open with a trailing stop loss with steps so as to be able to snatch a few pips if things go the way that I predicted. Is there any reason why this is not available? It seems odd to be able to set an order to trade when you are not able to be in front of a computer screen but then not to have the same tools available so you then have to be tied to the computer just in case your order gets triggered. Makes 'order to open' a bit pointless

Hi  and , welcome both to our Community!

Not just trailling stops on orders to open, but trailing stops in general have always been something we've been looking at improving on our platform.

I've just spoken with one of our platform developers and they've informed me that this is definately something that's currently in the pipeline to be developed. So whilst i can't really give an ETA, it is on the roadmap. 

Hope this helps!

Hi LukeM,

If possible I would also like to see a combination guaranteed stop and trailing stop? So that your guaranteed stop is your absolute bottom line risk exposure, but a trailing stop works from that point, so if your trailing stop is gapped your guaranteed stop is your ultimate safety net. (I know I want my cake and eat it too). Is this possible? I know the mechanics would be harder, but I'm sure attractive to many traders if offered. 

Guest JohannesE

Thanks for your suggestion ,

I can see why you would like to have this feature offered on our trading platform and will pass your suggestion on to our development team.

The problem I see however, is that guaranteed risk stop distances are subject to change. For example, on all our indices the minimum distances change between in-hours and out-of-hours. For our Germany 30 this minimum guaranteed distance currently changes from 30 points in-hours to 120 points out-of-hours. This distance could be even increased further than 120 points during periods of very high volatility. Because of these ever-changing guaranteed stop minimum distances it is hard to implement a guaranteed trailing stop.

Let's assume you would place a guaranteed trailing stop in-hours with a distance of 30 points, it wouldn't be possible for our system to amend this position out-of-hours once the minimum distance was changed to 120 points.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Nevertheless, I will pass on your suggestion and hope we can find a solution for this in the near future.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Yes you are right, I believe we misunderstood initially. I have forwarded this on to our IT team as feedback. We are always looking for feedback and suggestions so please feel free to keep them coming!

• 2 months later...

the whole stop regime for ig is very poor, you have to wonder why they dont try to help their customers .. would ti be rude to suggest that ig makes its money from crossing bid offers as many times as possible 

Hi , thanks for posting on this thread.

Could you clarify exactly where you feel our stop technology is poor so that we can look into it for you?

IG certainly don't profit when clients' stops are hit, we instead charge commission and spreads on trades.

Looking forward to further information from you, thanks.

Hannah

Have a question? Try searching the community to see if it has already been answered.
  • 5 weeks later...

After reading your response in my mind a trailing guaranteed stop still makes sense.

If the distance increases after hours from 30 to 120 the STOP level will remain the same...
As soon the market open again when is back to 30 the the trailing guaranteed stop will do the job.

Hi ,

Thanks for your feedback on this subject - it's certainly something I'm happy to pass on to our developers to consider building into the platform, but not something I can guarantee right now I'm afraid.

Please do keep your comments and discussion coming!

Thanks,

Hannah

Have a question? Try searching the community to see if it has already been answered.
  • 6 months later...

Hi Stef,

Sorry I've been offline for quite awhile.

You are correct Stef. That was what I was asking for. Trailing Stop (non-guaranteed) combined with Guaranteed Stop (fixed). 

Nem.

• 1 year later...

Archived