How many of you traders have made >10% a year for ten years?

How many of IG's retail traders have beaten the S&P 500 ETF over a period of ten years?

2020-10-20_06-42-34.jpg

Have the globalists been holding you back, Tom 😢 

This is a rhetorical question, because almost no retail trader outperforms the S&P 500 over such a long period.

But hey, at least they can rationalize losing money trading as part of their 'education' and 'trading experience' :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How many of you traders have averaged 10% per year over 5 or 10 years?

*silence*

:D

1 hour ago, dmedin said:

Because they ain't got sh!t to show :P 

😘

I think you assume we all sit watching this thread 24/7 - I certainly don't and that we've been with IG for years

I joined IG in April 2020 - my main accounts are elsewhere with various other providers mainly in SIPP/ISA accounts

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, 95% of retail traders fail, 95% of all traders fail, the 5% that make it are no longer retail traders they become professional traders in their own right and I don't mean the monkeys that work for the banks - I mean people living and trading off their own funds

Right let's do it - lets make it 20% a year

What market(s) are we trading? 

Aim is 20%

Rules are - As soon as we're UP 20% on the account we stop trading, if this happens before 31st Dec then we just STOP until 1st Jan the following year and then restart again until we make 20% then we stop, restart, stop etc

What account account size? are we using to determine risk etc and how much are we risking per trade? - I would recommend 2% 

I'll determine the rest of the rules - We'll be trading off DAILY charts to make it even more harder to achieve and rather than flood the thread with "Trade setting up here - then it fails to trigger" I'll post the chart once the trade is OPEN/LIVE and on that chart we'll have all the rules applicable to that "live" position - This will also mean that people don't blindly follow 

Now for the rest of this week I'm heading to the Lake District, so I won't be constantly monitoring this thread, nor will I be trading.

As we are nearing end of Oct and 10 full months of the trading year have expired, should we say that from now until 31st Dec 2021 we need to return 23.32%?

• Like 1
  • Great! 1

22 minutes ago, THT said:

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, 95% of retail traders fail, 95% of all traders fail, the 5% that make it are no longer retail traders they become professional traders in their own right and I don't mean the monkeys that work for the banks - I mean people living and trading off their own funds

As the world becomes more authoritarian, I think there is a real argument to be made for outlawing spread betting and other such nonsense aimed at retail traders.  It's self-abuse on a massive scale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

As the world becomes more authoritarian, I think there is a real argument to be made for outlawing spread betting and other such nonsense aimed at retail traders.  It's self-abuse on a massive scale.

totally agree - It should be much more harder to open up an account

Re: the SP500 compound calc - enter the dates Jan 1949 - Dec 1966 AND Aug 1982 - Mar 2000

Work out the annualised ret + divs and you should see the same return from Nov 2016 - Mar 2034 - somewhere in that range of % returns

Markets work out a cycle of UP/DOWN sequence - to compare the DOWN sequence look at Dec 1966 - Aug 1982 AND Mar 2000 - Nov 2016 and you should see the % annual returns average for the DOWN sections

From Nov 2016 we've been in official cycle UP mode and will continue to do so until 2034 - this will allow average Joe Trader to think they are brilliant stock pickers as the market drags them up, then in 2034.........It will start to unravel for them - obviously this period will be excellent for the buy and hold investor 

• Like 1