Jump to content

ETP - Exchange Traded Product


Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

The purpose of this post is to introduce an asset class sometime unknown by investors, ETPs (Exchange Traded Product).

ETPs allow you to trade stocks, indices, currencies, commodities and even cryptocurrencies … in a regulated environment, with products that are available directly from a sharedealing account (like IG ShareDealing). Most of the time with a low minimum amount.

The term ETP actually includes ETFs (which you may know), ETCs (Exchange Traded Commmodities / Currency) and ETNs (Exchange Traded Note).

It can allow leverage or short position but not only, you can find Delta one ETP as well!

I will be happy to answer your questions regarding this type of product.
I will not mention any issuer or specific product here, only answering generic questions. 

Edited by Marcraffard
correction
Link to post

ETN - Access to Less Explored Markets and Assets

ETN investors are able to access the markets and broad asset classes that are out of their reach. It creates immense possibilities for them to make profits from volatility and liquidity.

With IG, you can access these product via the ShareDealing Account.

or most of the time, they are available as CFD with IG :) 

Link to post
22 hours ago, Marcraffard said:

I will be happy to answer your questions regarding this type of product.
I will not mention any issuer or specific product here, only answering generic questions. 

Hi, I saw this article recently on crypto ETPs, as the FCA has banned leveraged crypto trading in the UK recently might this be an option for crypto traders in the UK in the future and your views as to suitability to trade if so? 

Europe’s Largest Crypto Asset Manager Launches Bitcoin ETP on SIX | Finance Magnates

 

.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Hi Caseynotes,

The FCA did not ban only leveraged crypto trading like CFD, Option and Futures... but all derivaties, including ETP/ETN. FCA bans the sale of crypto-derivatives to retail consumers.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-bans-sale-crypto-derivatives-retail-consumers

This ban is applicable only to retail investors, so the only way I saw for UK investors to have access to it => being professional investors.

Link to post
On 19/01/2021 at 13:45, Marcraffard said:

Hello Everyone,

The purpose of this post is to introduce an asset class sometime unknown by investors, ETPs (Exchange Traded Product).

ETPs allow you to trade stocks, indices, currencies, commodities and even cryptocurrencies … in a regulated environment, with products that are available directly from a sharedealing account (like IG ShareDealing). Most of the time with a low minimum amount.

The term ETP actually includes ETFs (which you may know), ETCs (Exchange Traded Commmodities / Currency) and ETNs (Exchange Traded Note).

It can allow leverage or short position but not only, you can find Delta one ETP as well!

I will be happy to answer your questions regarding this type of product.
I will not mention any issuer or specific product here, only answering generic questions. 

Hi

I've traded ETF's and ETC's since the early 2000's - Biggest bug bear was quickly finding those products priced in GBP and not USD

My charting software has solved this issue

Maybe a good post would be to explain the pro's and con's for Leveraged products - holding for long and short term etc and Delta one too

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Hi THT,

Thank you very much for your message. I think you can find now some products priced in GBP and listed on the LSE.

I will take some time to make a longer pro/con comparison regarding Leveraged and Short ETP, but in a nutshell, pro= you cannot lose more than the money you put in it.. con= if you hold it for more than one day the compounding effect can change a lot your performance.

 

Link to post
On 19/01/2021 at 13:45, Marcraffard said:

Hello Everyone,

The purpose of this post is to introduce an asset class sometime unknown by investors, ETPs (Exchange Traded Product)....

Hi, thank you for bringing the topic , I personally didn't know about this type of asset class.

I googled a bit and found the basics about ETPs. They seem to be very interesting but also oriented to professionals as some of them might not be regulated by the FCA as per link below:

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/exchange-traded-products

Could you recommend any book on the subject that we could read?

Also is there any list of pros and cons against the usual share dealing, CFDs and Spread Betting accounts that we could point to?

 

Edited by jlz
Link to post
51 minutes ago, jlz said:

Hi, thank you for bringing the topic , I personally didn't know about this type of asset class.

I googled a bit and found the basics about ETPs. They seem to be very interesting but also oriented to professionals as some of them might not be regulated by the FCA as per link below:

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/exchange-traded-products

Could you recommend any book on the subject that we could read?

Also is there any list of pros and cons against the usual share dealing, CFDs and Spread Betting accounts that we could point to?

 

Hi JLZ

You need to investigate the company issuing the said ETP's - There's lots of different ones out there, some buy real assets, so use "synthetic" tracking etc  - they are 100% legit but you have to be certain they won't go bust 

Key considerations as you are investing real money into the ETP are:

  • Is the ETP safe in terms of going bust
  • Is you ISA/SIPP/DEALING account provider safe

I've traded these products for decades - as long as the ETP provider does not go bust then normal investing/trading risks apply - I've just literally this afternoon taken profits on a Nasdaq100 ETF

They came on the scene in the late 90's in the UK and you could track markets not offered by funds at that point - I was in a china ETF in 2000 provided by ishares within my sipp/isa account and was a cheap way of tracking the Chinese market as you didn't have the 5% bid/offer spread and 1% AMC

You buy them exactly as you would say BP - If BP goes belly up overnight you're cash is trapped, same would apply here, but as I say if the company is liquid and sound then normal risks apply

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Guest Tihomir

Thanks for bringing this topic. It's a very interesting asset class, in my view. 

ETP investment products lead to multiple opportunities to unlock alpha. Can be used for tactical allocation based on the market volatility, swing trading or event driven strategies. However, those products are suitable for investors that fully understand the risks embedded. 

End of last year invested in GraniteShares 3x Long Tesla Daily ETP, pretty happy with the performance. 

Link to post

Thanks for the post. 

I would be interested in understand the costs associated with the relevant ETF.

Do they carry the same sort of fees as one would expect from investing in the fund directly (management, performance, early exit etc.) or are they limited to the usual dealing costs - commission, SDRT?

Also, for my clarity, we are talking about fund which may be issued by large investment managers (e.g. Blackrock - iShares, Baillie Gifford, PIMCO etc.) which are traded on the LSE

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 20/01/2021 at 12:26, Marcraffard said:

Hi Caseynotes,

The FCA did not ban only leveraged crypto trading like CFD, Option and Futures... but all derivaties, including ETP/ETN. FCA bans the sale of crypto-derivatives to retail consumers.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-bans-sale-crypto-derivatives-retail-consumers

This ban is applicable only to retail investors, so the only way I saw for UK investors to have access to it => being professional investors.

Hi @Marcraffard, thanks for the reply, thought that might be the case, thanks for the info.

  • Like 1
Link to post
23 hours ago, TFFX_ said:

Thanks for the post. 

I would be interested in understand the costs associated with the relevant ETF.

Do they carry the same sort of fees as one would expect from investing in the fund directly (management, performance, early exit etc.) or are they limited to the usual dealing costs - commission, SDRT?

Also, for my clarity, we are talking about fund which may be issued by large investment managers (e.g. Blackrock - iShares, Baillie Gifford, PIMCO etc.) which are traded on the LSE

Hi TFFX,

About the cost/fee to trade ETP (excluding brokerage fee/commission), it is variable and it depend of each product.

Like ETFs, there is no performance/entry/exit fee. The fee is included on the tprice.

Fees will be higher on ETP with underlying asset like crypto or small cap.

Leveraged and Short ETP will maybe higher too but insignificant since these are products designed for the very short term. i.e. 3LAL which is 3x Long Alphabet Daily ETP have a Total Daily Ongoing Cost of 0.0049%

In any case, you must check all cost on the KID that must be provided by the issuer.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      14,279
    • Total Posts
      70,691
    • Total Members
      59,249
    • Most Online
      5,137
      14/01/21 09:51

    Newest Member
    Geetastic
    Joined 26/02/21 16:54
  • Posts

    • Charlotte, we keep seeing the message that's it's small caps that have been withdrawn. It isn't.  For example, Hikma has a market cap of £5.2bn and is in the FTSE100. How do we know which other companies IG might decide to do the same to? We are also told that it's due to exceptional client demand. In that case, limit new opening positions (buy and sell). Why should we long-term clients suffer due to this?
    • Hey,  I completely understand your frustration and I will pass it onto our senior team as well as the exposure desk.  The decisions has been made but I'm so sorry for how it's impacting your trading. With exceptional client demand in the equity space, we have reviewed our 12000 leveraged markets and decided to withdraw less than 1000 small cap equities, after a review of associated returns on these markets. We will continue to support these markets for Share Dealing, where that product is available. Sorry again for this inconvenience.  All the best 
    • Hey @SunnyD, Thanks for your post,  If you buy a future contract it usually has a slightly larger spread however you're not  subject to overnight funding like you are for cash price/ DFB.  You will not be charged 20 pts per night it's just the initial 20 points spread when you open the position. If you leave it there (and have enough on your account to cover your margin) there aren't any other fees.  Just as a heads up the April contract actually expires in March. You can find details on the platform in the get info section:  All the best 
×
×
  • Create New...