Why there are still margin calls when margin rate is 100%

Twerkingcat

Question

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Twerkingcat said:

I don't understand and would use some help. On my spread betting accounts current margin rate is 100% for all tiers. The way I understand it is all positions are cash covered, why there are still margin calls when underying stock goes down?

Hey, 

Thanks for your post. 

Sometimes we have to increase margin if markets become extremely volatile.

Usually it's only by a small amount but due to the market movements we've seen over the past couple of days our risk team and our exposure desk find these higher margins appropriate. 

If the market calms the margin requirement will more than likely decrease meaning you will have more available funds rather than less. (because if we ask for 100% margin then decrease it to 20% margin the 80% will go back into your available funds) please bear in mind that your profit/ losses also change this figure. 

All the best  

Hi Charlotte,

you may misunderstood my question or maybe I misunderstood your answer :)

I am not asking why margin rate is 100%
. What I am asking is that when I buy at that rate, there is essentially no leverage, whole my position is covered by cash, right?  So in theory my equity should be able to go down to zero without a single margin call, that's because everything is covered already and IG is not exposed.

Yet I received margin call emails and had to topup my account, hence my question.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

If you are retail 

Then you have also this ESMA 50% close out rule,

Search the forum

Thanks, good to know! I wish I could opt out :)

On a closer look at the end of the day statement, I noticed that order I put before market opened was executed at 20% margin rate, so there was some leverage used, despite UI showing margin rate 100%

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• The transition of Web2 gaming to Web3 has been nothing short of remarkable, easily welcome by the gaming community for the way-too-juicy perks the advancement offers that can’t be ignored. Another visionary gaming team is thrilled to unveil the successful launch of its highly anticipated token, $PORTAL. Portal ecosystem is aimed at onboarding one billion gamers into a fully interoperable ecosystem that transforms the gaming experience. The ecosystem utilizes frontier tech to create player-owned economies, effectively connecting gamers in deeper ways that has not been see before. As projected, one can think of the Portal platform as one where discovering and playing games is frictionless and easy. Through a single account layer, game enthusiasts can access Web3 games with a hitch-free experience, and seamlessly play games on all chains eschewing the need to bridge additional tokens to play.  Looking at its immense potential, gamers and investors across the global where ready to hop on its trading, however one glitch was easily noticed on Binance where most users are faced with deposit difficulties. The reverse is the case on other exchanges like Bitget, where millions of gamers across the globe are actively engaging in $Portal deposit activities, showing their diehard support for another Gaming project that is set to redefine the industry.  Have you onboarded the moving train called $PORTAL? Share your thoughts          
    • It's exciting to see mobile mining and projects like ICE blockchain offering passive earnings. ICE's decentralized governance and scalability make it stand out, handling millions of transactions per second. With features like decentralized identity services, ICE is paving the way for Web3 principles.
    • I will, but as stated, it's the list page which I use the most for my trading. I use another provider for live charts. If you get the list thing sorted that would be great!  
us