Why can't I close a trade? Its Saturday 5:10pm Melbourne time

Hi guys,

I'm trying to close a long position and my buys and sells are blanked out. I've been locked out all day and it looks like trading should start after maintenance has finished, which it has . Can someone please confirm?!

• Like 1

That was a stressful 9 or so hours. Lucky for me Ethereum didn't crash. Lesson learnt!

If it ever happened again, would a guaranteed stop loss would cover me if the market is closed? Would it close my position even if the crypto markets were closed? I'd like to know just in case I wanted to hold a position from say Thursday to Monday.

I'm not worried about the money in my account, I just don't want to owe any money if the market crashed. From what I have read, it sounds like that can happen if IG doesn't automatically close my position. Is that correct?

3 hours ago, ac1148 said:

That was a stressful 9 or so hours. Lucky for me Ethereum didn't crash. Lesson learnt!

If it ever happened again, would a guaranteed stop loss would cover me if the market is closed? Would it close my position even if the crypto markets were closed? I'd like to know just in case I wanted to hold a position from say Thursday to Monday.

I'm not worried about the money in my account, I just don't want to owe any money if the market crashed. From what I have read, it sounds like that can happen if IG doesn't automatically close my position. Is that correct?

Hi, yes guaranteed stops will be executed at the named level on market open.

Here in the UK and Europe we have negative balance protection, there are similar proposals coming for Australia soon along with the huge reduction in leverage. Until then you could choose a Limited Risk Account which has neg bal protection and all stops are guaranteed stops.