'Sorry, only available for trading on leverage' message

Hello all.

I've just tried to open a very modest opening position on an ETF (just a few hundred sterling worth) and received a 'sorry, only available for trading on leverage message'. Not sure why? Why can't I buy the number of shares I want with cash? (Background, been buying directly held shares for a couple of decades, but this is the first time I've ever tried to buy an ETF).

Thanks for any time taken by anyone in response to this. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Fingersxxd

I have this issue too, but trying to buy a 3x leveraged ETF via a CFD account. It's telling me I the positions are only available in a stockbroker account. I've traded these ETF for the past 12 months and currently have positions open. They've been excellent trading vehicles to broader stock market trends. I hope this isn't a new restriction by the FCA, as they have with Crypto's for non-professional accounts.

I have the reverse of this issue. Tried to buy an ETF from a CFD account and couldn't. I've brought the ETF in question several times over the last 12 months (Direxion Biotech 3x Bull) and it's a great trading vehicle over the short term. I hope this isn't a permanent move!

i am getting error only available for leverage trading yet i have an open position i was wanting  to buy more shares tried another stock and same msg error i dont know what is going on any ideas people 

I have the same issue with 3STS (3x Short Tesla GraniteShares). The product is available on the platform but I cannot be traded because the kind of account I have is not good. Obsviouly, not tradable with a CFD account but only stockbroker account. I will try to contact IG support 😉

Looks like the answer came out today via an email annoucement. Access to these is being withdrawn from CFD/Spreadbet accounts and open positions will need 100% margin from 26th Feb and will then be force closed from the 29th March. Time for me to find another provider. Being forced to close positions is a terrible move by IG. I'm sure they have their reasons, but forcing clients to take profits/losses isn't good.

23 minutes ago, Fingersxxd said:

Looks like the answer came out today via an email annoucement. Access to these is being withdrawn from CFD/Spreadbet accounts and open positions will need 100% margin from 26th Feb and will then be force closed from the 29th March. Time for me to find another provider. Being forced to close positions is a terrible move by IG. I'm sure they have their reasons, but forcing clients to take profits/losses isn't good.

Hi, can't see any email as yet, which assets? Could you post a sreenshot (excluding personal details).