Opening new account

Can anyone explain to me what the eligibility criteria are for opening a new account. My daughter has tried to open one and been rejected BUT no reason given. Could it be low salary, age, profession ??????

Any information most gratefully received

Thanks

Dad

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi mate,

Same thing here. Looked for eligibility criteria and stuff like that before applying but couldn't find anything so I applied. Almost immediate rejection with vague response saying I 'didn't meet the criteria'.

Wondering if it's age related because I've got full time employment and income but I'm 18 so therefore have no investment experience. It's not like I expect IG to do everything on my behalf so I'm struggling to see what the issue would be anyway.

Best of luck in finding out

Rhys

Came here to ask the same question. Just tried opening an account, 25 years of age with a full time job and I was refused because I don't meet the criteria... criteria which is not listed anywhere. How can I know if I meet the criteria in the future if they don't list the criteria anywhere? If you want me to earn 100k, then just say that 100k income is required....

Probably also depends on the type of account being opened - share dealing accounts are likely to have a lower entry criteria (whatever it may be) as you are funding all purchases yourself, rather than using leverage with a CFD/SB account.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Probably also depends on the type of account being opened - share dealing accounts are likely to have a lower entry criteria (whatever it may be) as you are funding all purchases yourself, rather than using leverage with a CFD/SB account.

I wanted to open a share dealing account indeed, but to my surprise, the only option available was to open account for CFD. I was unable to either untick CFD as an option and no other options were available. 

Not sure in that case - the share dealing account should be there as a separate option. You might have to contact customer service about it - if you can get hold of them. Maybe they've stopped accepting new accounts - I think they put a temporary block on new accounts after the GME shenanigans, but I thought it had been lifted.