Share trading fees - what is a "month" for commission free trading?

Basic question that I can't find in the support pages or community.

IG offer no charge on US share trades if you have placed 3 or more trades in the previous month. Is that a calendar month (ie starts from 1st of each month) or the previous month of trading (ie approx the last 30 days).

Also, is that fee free on both buy and sell?

Thanks!

16 hours ago, mostazapicante said:

Basic question that I can't find in the support pages or community.

IG offer no charge on US share trades if you have placed 3 or more trades in the previous month. Is that a calendar month (ie starts from 1st of each month) or the previous month of trading (ie approx the last 30 days).

Also, is that fee free on both buy and sell?

Thanks!

It works per calendar months. 

So technically you could place 3 trades on the last day of Jan and all of February you have he reduced (for US shares free) commission. 

The fee is free on both the buy and sell (for US shares) providing them both fall into a month where you have traded three times in the previous calendar month. 

Example, if you place 3 trades in January then in February you buy and sell Apple shares the commission will be free. 

If you place 3 traded in January, buy some Apple shares in February (the open commission will be free) but decide to wait until June before selling them you will have to pay the closing commission (unless of course you traded 3 times in May). 

I hope this helps 

• Great! 1
  • 1 month later...

But if I buy only and don't sell, let's say 10 times in the previous month, is that still considered more than 3 trades? I'm asking this because I rarely sell because I'm a long term investor, thanks