U.S Inflation

US inflation came in higher than expected in June as the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the largest one-month and 12-month increases since 2008.

image.png

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers rose by 0.9% in June, up from 0.6% in the previous month, while the 12-month rate was at 5.4%, beating a market expectation of 4.9%.

European indices have been largely treading water today, with a sharp rise in US inflation driving GBPUSD lower to offset some of the fears around a more hawkish stance at the Fed. With both core and headline inflation outstripping expectations, the core reading of 4.5% is perhaps the most notable given that it removes the kind of volatile aspects that the Fed could use to explain away such a rise. Instead, we are seeing prices continue to push higher in a move that many will believe could undermine the view that this is simply a transitory rise in prices. Nonetheless, the relatively muted market reaction does highlight the fact that many have growth accustomed to the idea of near-term inflation, with the threat of a hawkish Fed seemingly disregarded for now.

Nonetheless, while markets remain somewhat optimistic that near-term inflation will be fleeting in nature, there is a very real risk that elevated prices persist to the point that the Fed is forced to shorten the timescales associated with the first rate rise. One key signal of where prices will move comes from the price of key commodities, with the recent collapse in lumber highlighting how producers could soon lower prices to reflect this chance in costs. 

What are your thoughts on the US inflation data released and direction for the markets ?

• 4 months later...

Analysis-Investors bet Powell's Fed will get more aggressive on inflation

image.png

By David Randall, 23rd November 2021

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Investors are betting that newly renominated Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell will need to step up the pace at which the central bank is normalizing monetary policy to better grapple with surging consumer prices.

Full article: Investing.com

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• this sounds like an amazing opportunity for users in the crypto world. It's important to approach futures trading competitions with caution, ensuring one's financial stability and a comprehensive understanding of the market. While the prizes are enticing, responsible trading remains the ultimate goal. Thanks for sharing such an intriguing event, I’ll definitely be taking a look at it ! 
    • As a newbie crypto trader, I dove headfirst into the world of futures trading on Bitget. Feeling overwhelmed by the charts and analysis, I discovered their copy trading platform. It was a revelation! Following the strategies of Bitget's elite traders, I learned the ropes while making real profits. Their expertise took the guesswork out of trading, allowing me to focus on understanding the market. This new Bitget Futures Elite Trader Selection Program is fantastic news. It incentivizes these top traders, giving them greater exposure, while also helping new users like myself identify proven performers. It's a win-win for everyone, and a huge step forward in making futures trading more accessible and successful for beginners. Thanks Bitget!    
    • Ontology is a high-performance, open-source blockchain that aims to revolutionize the way we approach digital identities, data sharing, and trust in the digital realm. One of the standout features of Ontology is its dual-token model, which separates the roles of ONT and ONG. While ONT serves as the staking tool for nodes and governance, ONG operates as the value-anchoring utility token for on-chain applications and transactions. This innovative approach mitigates the risk of turbulent fluctuations in the native asset value, ensuring a stable and efficient ecosystem. The ONG listing on Bitget is particularly exciting for several reasons. Firstly, it aligns with Ontology's recent announcement of a $10 million fund aimed at fueling the innovation and adoption of Decentralized Identity (DID) through the ONT and ONG tokens. This initiative underscores the project's commitment to empowering, educating, and evolving its ecosystem in exciting new ways.
us