Query API for smallest deal size increment

Doggie52

Question

Hi,

I am using the API. I know where to find the minimum deal size needed to open a position (epic > dealingRules > minDealSize).

For example, with CF.D.EURUSD.MAR.IP, it's 0.5 points.

On the platform, through trial and error, I can see that I can, after having opened my position, increase or decrease it in increments of down to 0.5 + 0.01 points. I can submit a BUY order for e.g. 1.0 units and then a SELL order for 0.97 units and end up with 0.03 units left on my account.

This 0.01 size is quite key to understand, but I cannot see it being displayed in the API anywhere. Does anyone know where to find it?

I see a minStepDistance but that's 10 points...

Best,

Douglas

3 answers to this question

On 13/10/2021 at 22:16, Doggie52 said:

Hi,

I am using the API. I know where to find the minimum deal size needed to open a position (epic > dealingRules > minDealSize).

For example, with CF.D.EURUSD.MAR.IP, it's 0.5 points.

On the platform, through trial and error, I can see that I can, after having opened my position, increase or decrease it in increments of down to 0.5 + 0.01 points. I can submit a BUY order for e.g. 1.0 units and then a SELL order for 0.97 units and end up with 0.03 units left on my account.

This 0.01 size is quite key to understand, but I cannot see it being displayed in the API anywhere. Does anyone know where to find it?

I see a minStepDistance but that's 10 points...

Best,

Douglas

Hi @Doggie52,

For API support, you can send your query to webapisupport@ig.com.

I hope that it helps !

All the best - Arvin

Here's the reply I received:

Please note that on our platform every instrument has has a minimum deal size, while you partially close to any deal size you wish to, increments can only be done on the basis of the minimum deal size for e.g. suppose, you open a position on US TECH 100 of 0.5 units (which is the minimum deal size),you can partially close it to say 0.25 or even 0.1 or lesser

Should you wish to increase the position size, that can only be done from 0.5 units (which is the minimum deal size for US Tech 100 in this example. That means if you open a poisition of 0.5 units, you can only increase it by a minimum of 0.5 units and nothing less than that.