Trading individual share options.

I have discovered that to trade individual share options you must do so by telephone.I wonder if there's any training or guidelines provided to assist with a clear and precise manner in which  to execute the order ? 

Hi , thanks for the post.

The reason we only offer equity options over the phone is because the number of strike/expiry possibilities is too high to list on our platform.  Whenever the underlying market is open, you can call our dealing line to receive quotes, deal or work an order.

With regard to training and guidelines, could you specify exactly what you are looking for?  The process would simply be you calling to request a specific quote (ticker, strike and expiry, and whether you are buying/selling a call/put).  The dealer would then either confirm a trade or work an order for you, and book it to your account as relevant.

Looking forward to hearing back from you and helping more - any other comments from others welcome too!

Thanks,

Hannah

Hannah, Am I right in thinking then,  That in order to place   --   "A Long Call Option"

os Say APPL   --   With a June Expiration   --   Putting on an Order To Open   --   At a specific Stock Price

With a StopLoss   --   and a   --   Ist Profit Target   --   I can only do this on the phone?? ...

And is that the sort of info   --   That i would need to give to the Tradeing Desk?? ...

Also Hannah are these then traded   --   "All Sessions"

Hannah just one other thing   --   Do I.G. have any Videos that explain Options Trading?? ...

Thanks Hannah:-...   Trader Monty

Hi , thanks for your reply!

Any equity option - whether long, short, call or put - would need to be quoted, worked and dealt over the phone with our dealing desk, yes.  Once such a position is live on your account, you will see the open position, but again in order to close it you will need to call our dealing desk.

The information a dealer would need to assist you with the trade would be: the stock (name or ticker), the strike, the expiry, call/put, long/short, and number of lots.

Equity options are only traded in the main session, so not in the pre- or post-market.

You can find more information on options, including videos, on our website here and here.

I hope this helps!  Any other questions please just ask.

Thanks,

Hannah

oilfxpro wrote:

Can you buy options on all U S and U K stocks?Where can we see the prices for all stocks outside I G platform? 

You would need to give us a call to trade share options and receive quotes. Once the position is booked you will be able to see it on the IG platform, however you wouldn't be able to close online, however you can give us a call to close. 

Hi,

What commission do you charge on share options (spread betting account)? I am particularly interested in selling a covered calls, what is the margin requirement?

Hi - we charge 5 points on UK and US, and 3 on European. So if you are dealing £1 a point it'll be £5. 

Hi there.  Are there any plans to enable trading options online rather than phone?  I don’t want to have to call and there are other brokers out there who can do it.  But I like my IG account.

Any plans?  Thanks

now that would be really useful - would like US ones

Thanks for the request, however unfortunately at the moment share options integration in our platform isn't one of the top approved projects. If this looks to change I'll try and let you know / update the thread. 

Tradezero and Charles Schwab both do options online........so you need to catch up!  It can be done.

Thanks for the info though.

• Thanks 1

Guest raaammy

Option prices.  The Financial Times newspaper used to list the FTSE 100 share prices and call/put options for various months and strike prices.  The prices would be based on the previous days closing price for the shares.  Having this information, a trader could easily scan 100 shares to take a closer look at those of interest and then call their broker for a live price for a call or put option.  

Considering IG has this information it could easily list live prices for calls and puts at different strike prices for different months. And they could easily provide the info on their website.