Jump to content
  • 0

HIN for IPO


JB75

Question

Hi

I am in the process of applying for  IPO shares. The IPO recognises the CHESS model but requires an HIN to apply successfully.  That is, in the application under "Your CHESS HIN" it asks for a HIN.  I understand from other threads that IG have advised that IG doesn't give out HINs and to use my account reference instead. I tried this but this brings up an error message stating that a 10 digit HIN number is required.

Can you please provide advice on how to obtain a CHESS HIN or what to do instead?

Note: the IPO prospectus has advised consequence of the HIN being incorrect is that the shares will be offered outside of IG (as non-CHESS shares) and I would end up with bits and pieces of my investments all over the place. I am keen to keep everything together on my IG account if at all possible. 

Thanks

Link to comment

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
34 minutes ago, JB75 said:

Hi

I am in the process of applying for  IPO shares. The IPO recognises the CHESS model but requires an HIN to apply successfully.  That is, in the application under "Your CHESS HIN" it asks for a HIN.  I understand from other threads that IG have advised that IG doesn't give out HINs and to use my account reference instead. I tried this but this brings up an error message stating that a 10 digit HIN number is required.

Can you please provide advice on how to obtain a CHESS HIN or what to do instead?

Note: the IPO prospectus has advised consequence of the HIN being incorrect is that the shares will be offered outside of IG (as non-CHESS shares) and I would end up with bits and pieces of my investments all over the place. I am keen to keep everything together on my IG account if at all possible. 

Thanks

Hi @JB75

Thanks for reaching out.

The corporate actions team have advised me that if, on a form, you're asked for a HIN number instead but your IG account number. 

As IG operates a domestic custody model, HINs are not required. Your stock is identified by your account number. The only information required to transfer stock via another broker is your account number, the name of the stock, the quantity to be transferred and our PID (20018).

For more information on custodian model please visit the links below
https://www.ig.com/au/glossary-trading-terms/custodian-definition

 

All the best - MongiIG

Link to comment
  • 0
21 minutes ago, MongiIG said:

Hi @JB75

Thanks for reaching out.

The corporate actions team have advised me that if, on a form, you're asked for a HIN number instead but your IG account number. 

As IG operates a domestic custody model, HINs are not required. Your stock is identified by your account number. The only information required to transfer stock via another broker is your account number, the name of the stock, the quantity to be transferred and our PID (20018).

For more information on custodian model please visit the links below
https://www.ig.com/au/glossary-trading-terms/custodian-definition

 

All the best - MongiIG

Hi

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the HIN is required to apply and Bpay online. I did mention that I tried my IG account number in the online form and it is not accepted.

There is a manual option (filling out a paper form, and writing a cheque since direct debits are not accepted). Unfortunately if I take this rather convoluted approach, if they do not accept my account number in place of the HIN I will receive the shares outside of my IG account and then the messy business of keeping track of shares not on IG.

Even if this manual approach is successful, it means going to a lot of trouble (particularly physically going to get a bank cheque) and making sure it is all processed by the IPO close date (6 working days from now). It seems to me if this is the only way to do it with IG that I'm left with two choices: Don't participate in any IPOs now or in the future or do so on a non-IG platform.

Truly,  is the only way for me to get a HIN to open a ComSec account (or equivalent)? I would think IG would prefer the business.

Thanks

Link to comment
  • 0

Actually I think I found the answer. Can someone confirm this is correct? (I think the IG language is confusing on this issue.) 

I think the answer is...

1) while IG registers our shares in CHESS

2) our shares are not CHESS sponsored (in the custodian model)

3) therefore don't have a CHESS HIN

4) therefore the place in the online form which asks for the CHESS HIN should be left blank and 

5) the account number needs to go in another place in the online form

This just leaves the question of how the IPO processing will know my A/C number is an IG number. Do I need to include the PID number then (sort of like a BSB)? What happens there?

Thanks

Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, JB75 said:

Hi

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the HIN is required to apply and Bpay online. I did mention that I tried my IG account number in the online form and it is not accepted.

There is a manual option (filling out a paper form, and writing a cheque since direct debits are not accepted). Unfortunately if I take this rather convoluted approach, if they do not accept my account number in place of the HIN I will receive the shares outside of my IG account and then the messy business of keeping track of shares not on IG.

Even if this manual approach is successful, it means going to a lot of trouble (particularly physically going to get a bank cheque) and making sure it is all processed by the IPO close date (6 working days from now). It seems to me if this is the only way to do it with IG that I'm left with two choices: Don't participate in any IPOs now or in the future or do so on a non-IG platform.

Truly,  is the only way for me to get a HIN to open a ComSec account (or equivalent)? I would think IG would prefer the business.

Thanks

 

55 minutes ago, JB75 said:

Actually I think I found the answer. Can someone confirm this is correct? (I think the IG language is confusing on this issue.) 

I think the answer is...

1) while IG registers our shares in CHESS

2) our shares are not CHESS sponsored (in the custodian model)

3) therefore don't have a CHESS HIN

4) therefore the place in the online form which asks for the CHESS HIN should be left blank and 

5) the account number needs to go in another place in the online form

This just leaves the question of how the IPO processing will know my A/C number is an IG number. Do I need to include the PID number then (sort of like a BSB)? What happens there?

Thanks

Hi @JB75

Thanks for reaching out.

The corporate actions team have advised me that you apply these shares directly with the registry and then do an SRN (Securities Reference Number) transfer to IG.

 

All the best - MongiIG

Link to comment
  • 0
9 hours ago, MongiIG said:

 

Hi @JB75

Thanks for reaching out.

The corporate actions team have advised me that you apply these shares directly with the registry and then do an SRN (Securities Reference Number) transfer to IG.

 

All the best - MongiIG

Thanks for the information.  How do I do a SRN transfer to IG? Is there a guide anywhere?

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • EURGBP Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge Day Chart,     Euro/British Pound(EURGBP) Day Chart   EURGBP Elliott Wave Technical Analysis FUNCTION:  Counter Trend                           MODE:Corrective                           STRUCTURE: red wave B                           POSITION: blue wave X                         DIRECTION NEXT HIGHER DEGREES:red wave C of X                           DETAILS: red wave b of blue wave X looking still is in play as triangle .. Wave Cancel invalid level: 0.85001                 The EUR/GBP Elliott Wave Analysis for the day chart provides a comprehensive overview of the potential price movements for the Euro against the British Pound, utilizing Elliott Wave principles for technical analysis.   Identified as a "Counter Trend," the analysis indicates that the current market direction opposes the prevailing trend. This suggests that the EUR/GBP pair may be undergoing a temporary corrective phase, providing opportunities for traders who anticipate a reversal in the broader trend.   Described as "Corrective" in mode, the analysis suggests that the ongoing market movement exhibits characteristics of a corrective wave. This implies that the current price action may represent a temporary retracement or consolidation within the larger trend, rather than a continuation of the primary trend.   The "STRUCTURE" is labeled as "red wave B," providing clarity on the current phase of the Elliott Wave cycle. This helps traders understand the nature of the corrective movement and its potential implications for future price action.   Positioned as "blue wave X," the analysis highlights the specific phase of the Elliott Wave cycle within the current corrective movement. This indicates that the market is 2 / 2 currently in a corrective phase following the completion of a previous wave cycle, potentially indicating a complex correction pattern.   In the "DIRECTION NEXT HIGHER DEGREES" section, the analysis mentions "red wave C of X," suggesting the anticipated direction for the subsequent higher-degree wave within the Elliott Wave cycle. This implies that the market may experience another corrective phase following the completion of the current corrective wave, providing insights into potential future price movements.   The "DETAILS" section notes that "red wave b of blue wave X looking still is in play as a triangle." This suggests that the ongoing corrective wave may be taking the form of a triangle pattern, characterized by overlapping price movements and diminishing volatility. Additionally, the wave cancel level is identified at 0.85001, providing a reference point for invalidating the wave count. Traders can utilize this information to evaluate potential trading opportunities and manage risk effectively.         EURGBP Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge 4 Hour Chart,     Euro/British Pound(EURGBP) 4 Hour Chart   EURGBP Elliott Wave Technical Analysis FUNCTION: Counter Trend                           MODE:Corrective                           STRUCTURE: red wave B                           POSITION: blue wave X                         DIRECTION NEXT HIGHER DEGREES:red wave C of X                           DETAILS: red wave b of blue wave X looking still is in play as a triangle . Wave Cancel invalid level: 0.85001                         The EUR/GBP Elliott Wave Analysis for the 4-hour chart provides insights into the potential price movements of the Euro against the British Pound, employing Elliott Wave principles for technical analysis.   Identified as a "Counter Trend," the analysis suggests that the current market movement opposes the prevailing trend. This indicates that the EUR/GBP pair may be undergoing a temporary corrective phase against the dominant trend direction, presenting potential trading opportunities for contrarian traders.   Described as "Corrective" in mode, the analysis indicates that the ongoing market movement exhibits characteristics of a corrective wave. This suggests that the current price action may represent a temporary pause or retracement within the broader trend, rather than a continuation of the primary trend.   The "STRUCTURE" is labeled as "red wave B," providing clarity on the current phase of the Elliott Wave cycle. This assists traders in understanding the nature of the corrective movement and its potential impact on future price action.   Positioned as "blue wave X," the analysis highlights the specific phase of the Elliott Wave cycle within the current corrective movement. This suggests that the market is currently in the corrective phase following the completion of a previous wave cycle, potentially indicating a complex correction pattern.   In the "DIRECTION NEXT HIGHER DEGREES" section, the analysis mentions "red wave C of X," indicating the anticipated direction for the subsequent higher-degree wave within the Elliott Wave cycle. This suggests that the market may experience a subsequent corrective phase following the completion of the current corrective wave, offering insights into future price movements.     The "DETAILS" section notes that "red wave b of blue wave X looking still is in play as a triangle." This suggests that the ongoing corrective wave may be taking the form of a triangle pattern, characterized by overlapping price movements and diminishing volatility. Additionally, the wave cancel level is noted at 0.85001, serving as a reference point for invalidating the wave count. Traders may use this information to assess potential trading opportunities and manage risk accordingly.   Technical Analyst : Malik Awais Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!      
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD) LINKUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Zigzag Position: Wave C Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave (I) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: 8.498 Details: the corrective of Wave (II) is equal to 61.8% of Wave (I) at 8.702 Log scale chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction is likely to go down to test the 10.585 level before rising again in the third wave. Therefore, the overall picture is a short-term pullback to continue rising. Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H8 Chart, ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD) LINKUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave 5 Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave ((C)) of Zigzag Wave Cancel invalid Level: 81.238 Details: The Five-Wave Decline of Wave ((C)) trend to test 11.582 Level ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction is likely to go down to test the 10.585 level before rising again in the third wave. Therefore, the overall picture is a short-term pullback to continue rising. Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!          
    • ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart)   Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) with MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN. We determine that MIN may be correcting with wave ((2))-red for a while longer, after which wave ((3))-red may return to continue pushing higher.     ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis   Function: Major trend (Minuette degree, purple) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((3))-red of Wave iii-blue of Wave (iii)-purple Details: The shorter-term outlook indicates that both wave (1)-blue and wave (2)-blue have concluded, with wave (3)-blue initiated since the low at 52.52. The anticipated direction is upwards, initially targeting 75.23, and a break beyond this level would extend towards 84.03, while maintaining levels below 65.36 is a significant advantage and a strong resistance level for this perspective. Invalidation point: 61.00         ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (4-Hour Chart)   ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN 4-Hour Chart Analysis   Function: Major trend (Minuette degree, purple) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse   Position: Wave ((3))-red of Wave iii-blue of Wave (iii)-purple Details: The further short-term outlook shows that wave iii-blue is unfolding, and it is subdividing into wave ((1))-red, and perhaps it has recently peaked, now is the time for wave ((2) )-red opens to push lower, it may find support around 66.78 - 65.36, and after it ends, wave ((3))-red may return to push even higher .   Invalidation point: 64.82       Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: MINERAL RESOURCES LIMITED – MIN aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends.   Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation).
×
×
  • Create New...
us