High Beta Currencies Benefit From Year-End Short Squeeze, Reflecting on GBP/JPY Top Trade

FX Analysis and News

• Year-End Short Squeeze Benefits High Beta Currencies
  • Reflection on GBP/JPY

GBP/JPY analysis for March 26, 2021 - FinanceBrokerage

As I mentioned yesterday, this is one of those weeks where you should not read too much into market moves. Thin volumes will likely exacerbate much of the price action we have seen over the past few sessions, most notably across the FX space. To me, this looks like a year-end squeeze in positioning and taking a look at the COT report, those currencies that have seen the largest increase in net shorts over the past month are currently seeing a short squeeze, particularly against those currencies that have seen a build-up in net longs. As such, cross-yen has seen a notable pick-up with the help from a bid in stocks and a rise in global bond yields.

Year-End Short Squeeze

High Beta Currencies Benefit From Year-End Short Squeeze, Reflecting on GBP/JPY Top Trade

Source: Refintiiv

However, unfortunately, the rally across in cross-JPY, in particular GBP/JPY, means that my top Q1 2022 trade of long GBP/JPY is outdated with the near 350pip rally over the last three sessions hitting my topside target of 153.00. That said, this does not mean I don’t expect GBP/JPY to perform well in Q1, but the risk/reward appeal has diminished somewhat since the beginning of the week. Therefore, I will reassess at the start of next year.

Below is my rationale for expecting GBP/JPY upside

Long GBP/JPY – Carry trades hasn’t exactly been at the forefront of investors minds across the FX space in Q4 amid a sizeable unwind in reflation trades. However, should we see risk sentiment stabilise in the new year, GBP/JPY can once again look to rate differentials for direction.

GBP/JPY vs GB/JP 10Y Differentials

Source: Refinitiv

Taking a look at past BoE hiking cycles, GBP/JPY has had a tendency to grind higher with a hit rate of 83%. What’s more, with COT data highlighting that traders are the most bearish on the Pound in over 2yrs, there is fuel for a short squeeze to prompt a reprieve in the Pound. The risk, however, is the rise in political instability risks with the government officials unable to keep themselves out of the limelight for the wrong reasons. To add to this, money market pricing is also a worry for the Pound, given how aggressive markets are priced for BoE tightening.

On the technical front, key support is situated at 148.50-149.00, failure to hold would negate the view of GBP/JPY upside. Topside targets are for 153.00-50.

GBP/JPY Weekly Chart

Source: Refinitiv

By Justin McQueen, Strategist, 23rd December 2021. DailyFX

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD) THETAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((5)) Direction Next higher Degrees: wave I of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: Details: Wave ((4) may is complete and the Price entry to uptrend again Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Trading Strategy: The correction in wave ((4)) appears to be over. And the price is increasing again in waves ((5)), so the overall picture is looking for an opportunity to open a long position. with a target price at the level 5.185 - 6.263 Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating an Uptrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bullish Momentum. Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD) THETAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((5)) Direction Next higher Degrees: wave I of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: Details: Wave ((4) may is complete and the Price entry to uptrend again Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Trading Strategy: The correction in wave ((4)) appears to be over. And the price is increasing again in waves ((5)), so the overall picture is looking for an opportunity to open a long position. with a target price at the level 5.185 - 6.263 Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating an uptrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bullish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!      
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD) THETAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((5)) Direction Next higher Degrees: wave I of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: Details: Wave ((4) may is complete and the Price entry to uptrend again Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Trading Strategy: The correction in wave ((4)) appears to be over. And the price is increasing again in waves ((5)), so the overall picture is looking for an opportunity to open a long position. with a target price at the level 5.185 - 6.263 Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating an Uptrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bullish Momentum. Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD) THETAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((5)) Direction Next higher Degrees: wave I of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: Details: Wave ((4) may is complete and the Price entry to uptrend again Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Trading Strategy: The correction in wave ((4)) appears to be over. And the price is increasing again in waves ((5)), so the overall picture is looking for an opportunity to open a long position. with a target price at the level 5.185 - 6.263 Theta Token/ U.S. dollar(THETAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating an uptrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bullish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!    
    • Commodity Market Elliott Wave Analysis for Bitcoin, Ethereum, Crypto Index, TLT Bonds, US 10 Yr. Yields, USD/ DXY, Gold, Silver, Copper, Uranium, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, XLE ETF, XME ETF. Elliott Wave Analysis Update for Commodity Markets: Current Analysis Remains Unchanged In the latest Elliott Wave analysis of the commodity markets, there is no alteration in the wave counts. Bitcoin is reinforcing its position with Wave (4) appearing to be established, contrasting with Ethereum which shows less clarity. The U.S. Dollar and 10-year yields are expected to continue their upward trajectory.  Gold, silver, and uranium are nearing the completion of their Wave 4, suggesting that opportunities for long trades may arise soon. Natural gas is currently in the e) wave of a Wave 4 triangle formation. Crude oil, maintaining a price above $80.00, remains in a bullish stance, as do ExxonMobil (XOM), alongside sector indices XLE (energy) and XME (metals and mining). Video Chapters 00:00 Bitcoin (BTC) ETH/USD / Crypto Index 09:49 US Dollar Index, DXY / TLT Bonds. US Gov Bonds 10 Yr Yields 17:48 Precious Metals: Spot Gold XAU /GDX ETF / US Spot Silver XAG  28:49 Base Metals:Lithium, Uranium URA ETF / Copper / ETF XME 35:36 Energy: Crude Oil WTI OIL / Natural Gas NG / ETF XLE 41:08 End Analyst Peter Mathers TradingLounge™ Australian Financial Services Licence - AFSL 317817 Source: tradinglounge.com 6 Analysts covering 150+ markets  
us