British Pound Forecast: GBP/USD Rally Running Into Resistance

GBP/USD Price, Chart, and Analysis

• UK preparing to ‘live with covid’ according to one UK minister.
  • Cable is finding 1.3600 tough to breakthrough.
GBP/USD Price Forecast - British Pound Running Into 200 Day EMA

According to one Cabinet Minister, Michael Gove, the UK is preparing plans to live with covid but needs to balance this off against protecting the National Health Service. Mr. Gove said that the Prime Minister and Health Secretary would decide whether to cut the covid isolation period from seven days to five days, saying that they would be led by science. The Cabinet Minister told BBC Radio 4, ‘So, guided by science, we can look to the progressive lifting of restrictions, and I think for all of us the sooner the better. But we’ve got to keep the NHS safe’.

Cable continues its multi-week ‘V-shaped’ recovery and is now battling with resistance around the 1.3600 level. Just above here, there are two prior swing lows and one swing high at 1.3610 to navigate, while cable is also trading either side of the multi-month downtrend off the June 1 high at 1.4242. If 1.3610 is broken convincingly then cable has the room to move back to 1.3700 with little technical resistance to hold it back.

On the macro front there is little in the way of important UK data until the end of the week when the latest GDP 3-month average, expected at 0.8%, and Y-o-Y figure, expected at 7%, are released at 7:00 GMT. Keep up to date with all market-moving data releases and events by using the DailyFX Calendar

GBP/USD DAILY PRICE CHART – JANUARY 10, 2022

British Pound Forecast: GBP/USD Rally Running Into Resistance

Retail trader data show 44.30% of traders are net-long with the ratio of traders short to long at 1.26 to 1. The number of traders net-long is 7.53% higher than yesterday and 15.54% lower from last week, while the number of traders net-short is 6.34% higher than yesterday and 34.38% higher from last week.

We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-short suggests GBP/USD prices may continue to rise. Positioning is less net-short than yesterday but more net-short from last week. The combination of current sentiment and recent changes gives us a further mixed GBP/USD trading bias.

image.png

What is your view on GBP/USD – bullish or bearish?

Jan 10, 2022 |  Nick Cawley, Strategist. DailyFX

• Great! 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Prepare to witness a paradigm shift in Bitcoin Layer 2 solutions with Merlin Chain, an innovative platform that integrates the ZK-rollup network, decentralized oracle, and on-chain BTC anti-fraud module. With seamless compatibility with the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), Merlin Chain sets new standards for security, transparency, and interoperability in the blockchain ecosystem.  Creating a Safe and Transparent Environment: At the core of Merlin Chain's mission lies its commitment to creating a safe and transparent environment for all investors. By integrating anti-fraud security solutions directly into the blockchain, Merlin Chain mitigates the risk of fraudulent activities and ensures the integrity of transactions. With Merlin Chain, users can trust that their assets are protected and transactions are executed with the highest level of security and transparency. Excitement mounts as Merlin Chain (MERL) prepares for listing on Bitget Exchange on April 19th, 2024, at 10:00 (UTC). This milestone event not only amplifies Merlin Chain's visibility but also provides users with a trusted platform to trade and engage with the MERL token. As Merlin Chain continues to push the boundaries of Bitcoin Layer 2 solutions, its listing on Bitget Exchange marks a significant step forward in its journey towards broader recognition and adoption.
    • Rarible is a revolutionary platform for artists and creators in the digital world. It functions as both: Software: Artists can use it to create and sell unique crypto assets representing ownership of their digital work, like illustrations or animations. These are known as Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs). Marketplace: Buyers can discover and purchase these NFTs directly from creators, eliminating the need for intermediaries.   Built for the Community: It is a community-owned marketplace, powered by its native token, RARI. Owning RARI tokens gives holders a voice in shaping the platform’s future.   Exciting News! Rarible recently listed its token (RARI) on the Bitget exchange, along with a “candybomb” event to reward holders. This is a great opportunity for artists and crypto enthusiasts alike to explore the world of NFTs on Rarible.
    • ...............to make my question a little clearer. Yesterday i had around £800 to deal.   I bought 2 stocks with the full account value leaving around £2 Available to Deal.  While there was a considerable amount Unsettled Credit and Debit which is not uncommon as i trade many times daily, I bought the stocks with no issue.  Shortly after, my Available to Deal showed as -£495 instead of £2, Funds showed as -£495 and my account value showed as £320. even though my stocks choices were only down less than £5 each.
us