Bitcoin (BTC) Remains Listless – Where Has All the Volatility Gone?

BITCOIN (BTC) CHART AND ANALYSIS

• Bitcoin continues to crab sideways.
  • Volatility remains low despite a ‘death-cross’ formation.

For a product famed for its wild price swings and double-digit percentage moves, Bitcoin is currently experiencing a lull in price action with volatility currently sitting at a multi-month low. Using the Average True Range (ATR) indicator, Bitcoin volatilities is at its lowest level since July 2021. This also coincided with the start of a strong Bitcoin rally with the crypto doubling over the next four months to hit a peak of just below $69k. This looks unlikely at this time with the simple moving averages in a bearish set-up compared to last July.

How to Measure Volatility with Average True Range (ATR)

The 50- and 200-day simple moving averages have also crossed over forming a bearish ‘death-cross’ formation. The last time these two simple moving averages crossed was back in mid-September when a bullish ‘golden-cross’ was formed. The price of Bitcoin moved lower in the next couple of weeks before rallying hard.

BITCOIN DAILY PRICE CHART JANUARY 20, 2022

Chart via Pro Realtime

Bitcoin currently trades in a tight range and may continue trading sideways until next week’s Fed decision is out of the way. Bitcoin has become more of a risk-proxy of late, moving higher when the market turns risk-on and lower when the market turns risk-off. Next week’s Fed rate decision will be the next risk event and will help shape the short-term direction of BTC. Financial markets are currently pricing in an uber hawkish Federal Reserve with this environment pushing equity markets ever lower. The Russell 2000 index, a small-cap US equity market proxy, is down over 16% since early November and currently trades at levels last seen one year ago. It remains to be seen if the Fed will turn out to be as hawkish as markets are currently pricing-in, leaving the door open for a risk-on move to push markets higher if the Fed disappoints market hawks.

RUSSELL 2000 ETF DAILY PRICE CHART JANUARY 20, 2022

Chart via TradingView

What is your view on Bitcoin – bullish or bearish?

Jan 20, 2022 |  Nick Cawley, Strategist. DailyFX

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Prepare to witness a paradigm shift in Bitcoin Layer 2 solutions with Merlin Chain, an innovative platform that integrates the ZK-rollup network, decentralized oracle, and on-chain BTC anti-fraud module. With seamless compatibility with the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), Merlin Chain sets new standards for security, transparency, and interoperability in the blockchain ecosystem.  Creating a Safe and Transparent Environment: At the core of Merlin Chain's mission lies its commitment to creating a safe and transparent environment for all investors. By integrating anti-fraud security solutions directly into the blockchain, Merlin Chain mitigates the risk of fraudulent activities and ensures the integrity of transactions. With Merlin Chain, users can trust that their assets are protected and transactions are executed with the highest level of security and transparency. Excitement mounts as Merlin Chain (MERL) prepares for listing on Bitget Exchange on April 19th, 2024, at 10:00 (UTC). This milestone event not only amplifies Merlin Chain's visibility but also provides users with a trusted platform to trade and engage with the MERL token. As Merlin Chain continues to push the boundaries of Bitcoin Layer 2 solutions, its listing on Bitget Exchange marks a significant step forward in its journey towards broader recognition and adoption.
    • Rarible is a revolutionary platform for artists and creators in the digital world. It functions as both: Software: Artists can use it to create and sell unique crypto assets representing ownership of their digital work, like illustrations or animations. These are known as Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs). Marketplace: Buyers can discover and purchase these NFTs directly from creators, eliminating the need for intermediaries.   Built for the Community: It is a community-owned marketplace, powered by its native token, RARI. Owning RARI tokens gives holders a voice in shaping the platform’s future.   Exciting News! Rarible recently listed its token (RARI) on the Bitget exchange, along with a “candybomb” event to reward holders. This is a great opportunity for artists and crypto enthusiasts alike to explore the world of NFTs on Rarible.
    • ...............to make my question a little clearer. Yesterday i had around £800 to deal.   I bought 2 stocks with the full account value leaving around £2 Available to Deal.  While there was a considerable amount Unsettled Credit and Debit which is not uncommon as i trade many times daily, I bought the stocks with no issue.  Shortly after, my Available to Deal showed as -£495 instead of £2, Funds showed as -£495 and my account value showed as £320. even though my stocks choices were only down less than £5 each.
us