Nasdaq 100, S&P 500, Russell 2000 Mauled as Risk-Off Sentiment Dominates Price Action

Nasdaq 100, S&P 500, Russell 2000 Mauled as Risk-Off Sentiment Dominates Price Action

Jan 24, 2022 |   Nick Cawley, Strategist. DailyFX

NASDAQ 100, S&P 500, Russell 2000: Prices, Charts ,and Analysis

• Equity markets testing fresh multi-week lows.
  • Market heavyweight’s Apple, Microsoft, and Tesla all announce earnings this week.
What Is The Russell 2000 Index? | Bankrate

Global risk markets are under heavy selling pressure as the week starts with equities hit across the board, while cryptocurrencies are again registering heavy losses. The markets have been in a risk-off mood for most of January and losses are now accelerating as we head towards the FOMC decision on Wednesday. The markets are currently pricing-in an excessively hawkish Federal Reserve – 4+ rate hikes, end of quantitative easing, the start of quantitative tightening – and this coupled with Russian warmongering against Ukraine has hit risk sentiment hard. Russia is said to have 100,000 troops situated on the border with Ukraine, fueling invasion fears, with the US now suggesting that it will send up to 50,000 troops as well as aircraft and warships to Eastern Europe in an effort to stop Russia from making any incursion.

A look at three American indices shows the depth of the recent sell-off. This week’s US earnings season may also add some extra volatility with Apple (AAPL), Microsoft (MSFT), Tesla (TSLA), and Visa (V) among a raft of heavyweight companies announcing their Q4 results.

The Nasdaq 100 is down just under 15% from its November 22 high and last week convincingly broke the dominant multi-month uptrend. The indices now rests on a prior swing low around 14,373 and a break below here opens the way to much deeper losses. The CCI indicator is deep in oversold territory and this may temper the current move lower.

NASDAQ 100 DAILY PRICE CHART – JANUARY 24, 2022

How to Short Sell a Stock When Trading Falling Markets

The S&P 500 is also making fresh multi-week lows with the indices down nearly 10% since the January 4 all-time high. The two largest constituents of the S&P 500, Apple (6.2% weighting) and Microsoft (5.9% weighting) release their earnings this week and any miss or disappointment could send the indices lower still. The next level of technical support for the US 500 is seen around 4,271.

S&P 500 DAILY PRICE CHART - JANUARY 24, 2022

The Russell 2000, a small-cap market proxy is down nearly 20% since earlyNovember and heading into a technical bear market. The technical outlook remains weak with a 50-day sma/20- day sma ‘death cross’ formed on January 7. The indices has convincingly broken below a group of supportive prior lows and is now heading towards a zone between 1,884 and 1,924.

RUSSELL 200 DAILY PRICE CHART – JANUARY 24, 2022

What is your view on Equities and Risk – bullish or bearish?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• In a world where gaming is one of the most used forms of relaxation, a good number of projects have evolved to give gamers an immersive experience alongside passive earning opportunities to earn from. Through time, there has been a plethora of crypto gaming projects. With AxieInfinity being its progenitor, we have witnessed expansive growth with how certain projects have extended its tentacles. Currently, one of the projects that has caught my eye is $NADA. The project is one of the pioneer gaming models on the Hedera Blockchain Network. Primarily, it seeks to be used in blockchain based NFT mobile games where the latter and metaverses are interconnected seamlessly. Most of the games it is associated with have considerable pedigree in the global market. In a bid to let users earn seamlessly, NADA looks to allow players earn tokens through game play thus projecting gamefi. In the exactitude of real world use-cases, the token can be used for purchasing in game items, et al. Deducing from all of its features, it is incredibly worthy to note that the token has good use cases and tokenomics. In recognition of this, reliable platforms like Bitget have expressed intent to list it along a significant number of activities to earn from, depositing the token is even opened on there already. Conclusively, I'll love to hear your thoughts on this new model? 
    • Blockchain and gaming complement each other nicely. Their fusion has enabled real rewards for gamers, something that traditional games don’t offer. What’s more, BlockchainxGaming effectively manages the ownership and transaction history of game characters, items, etc, enforces property rights, promotes transparency, stability, reliability and improves fun. As blockchain and NFT-based games continue to drive the game market's growth, the hunger to play more and earn more deepens. Nada Protocol is proposing a blockchain technology and ecosystem with customized structure that will fuse with the global mobile game market and NFT blockchain game market, satisfying game players’ cravings with a more immersive mobile game experience where they can own and trade the items they earn from the game. NADA focus seems to be centered around creating a fun blockchain gaming ecosystem that adds the value of economic activity to the pleasure of gameplay. One of the most significant of its core features is a buzzing marketplace where users can conveniently find the items they want and trade them with other users. Much of the activities in Nada marketplace is controlled by NADA token, a reward-type token built on the Hedera network, and currently building up liquidity to list on Bitget. What’s your thought on this fast-growing game and its chances to carve a niche for itself in the competitive gaming world?
    • Thanks very much, @KoketsoIG. I hadn't discovered the drop down menus - it all makes much more sense now! It's odd about the E1 contracts - it must be a new change, because I'm in the UK and I currently hold some of the E1 positions that I opened a few weeks ago. Anyway, at least now I understand what's going on. I'll try not to bother you with too many questions as I get used to the new platform! Best wishes, Cate
us