Jump to content

Blocked from trading US ETF's with no warning


Recommended Posts

I normally trade US ETF's and today without prior warning I can't. Orders get rejected so I called help desk and they notified me there's been a regulatory change. However it's still listed on IG's website you can. Surely IG should have known this was coming? 

Link to comment

Now that is a pain.

Out of interest, had you been trading under a 'professional' status? ...because I tried to place my first US ETF order today, only to be told the fund is exclusively for professionals despite having been told my completed  'experience' questionnaire last week was sufficient to proceed.

I'm just trying to determine if what you're saying is related because they also didn't expand to much beyond that for an explanation.. 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Craig72 said:

I normally trade US ETF's and today without prior warning I can't. Orders get rejected so I called help desk and they notified me there's been a regulatory change. However it's still listed on IG's website you can. Surely IG should have known this was coming? 

 

3 hours ago, jrtira28 said:

Now that is a pain.

Out of interest, had you been trading under a 'professional' status? ...because I tried to place my first US ETF order today, only to be told the fund is exclusively for professionals despite having been told my completed  'experience' questionnaire last week was sufficient to proceed.

I'm just trying to determine if what you're saying is related because they also didn't expand to much beyond that for an explanation.. 

Hi  @Craig72, @jrtira28,

Thank you for you posts.

There is a change with ETFs going forward. ETFs not providing a Key Investor Information Document (KIID) will not be tradeable unless you have a Pro account.

This rule applies for retail clients under European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA).

I hope that it helps.

All the best - Arvin

 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, jrtira28 said:

Now that is a pain.

Out of interest, had you been trading under a 'professional' status? ...because I tried to place my first US ETF order today, only to be told the fund is exclusively for professionals despite having been told my completed  'experience' questionnaire last week was sufficient to proceed.

I'm just trying to determine if what you're saying is related because they also didn't expand to much beyond that for an explanation.. 

I only meet one criteria which is volume. Last ETF was last week. 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, ArvinIG said:

 

Hi  @Craig72, @jrtira28,

Thank you for you posts.

There is a change with ETFs going forward. ETFs not providing a Key Investor Information Document (KIID) will not be tradeable unless you have a Pro account.

This rule applies for retail clients under European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA).

I hope that it helps.

All the best - Arvin

 

I'm aware of this now but where was the communication on this? One day you just can't trade with no prior warning is a strike against IG's customer relations.  
 

craig

Link to comment
10 hours ago, vagjiani said:

KIDD Requirement has been in place for retail traders for long in the past, so has IG just caught up with the regulation?

I think so, I think they were probably waiting on the Regulators consultations to conclude and see which way the wind blew and continue to offer US funds. It's absolutely ridiculousthat as adults I can't inform myself and make rational choice on where to put my money. I bet these regulators are born losers in the markets. I'd put money on it!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...