Japanese Yen Q3 2022 Forecast

Japanese Yen Q3 2022 Forecast: Will a Weak Yen Push the BoJ into Action?

Jul 3, 2022 | DailyFX
Daniel Dubrovsky, Strategist

The Fundamentals of the Japanese Yen (JPY) | Forex Academy

The Japanese Yen was hammered by markets in the second quarter. USD/JPY shot by the 2002 peak, touching its highest since 1998. A key driver of the Yen’s weakness has been the Bank of Japan’s policy divergence from its major peers. While central banks like the Fed and RBA gave surprise hikes, the BoJ remained persistently dovish, making life difficult for its currency. On the chart below, USD/JPY can be seen rising as US Treasury yields outpaced their Japanese equivalent. Could this change ahead?

JAPANESE YEN FUNDAMENTAL DRIVERS

Chart Created Using TradingView

RISING INFLATIONARY FORCES

A key reason why the BoJ reaffirmed its ultra-loose policy is low Japanese inflation. This has been slowly changing. Local CPI was 2.5% y/y in May, above the central bank’s 2% target. The BoJ has historically struggled to bring inflation in target. Some of this is likely due to reasons outside of its control, such as demographics. But even Japan is starting to feel the pinch of rising prices. The island-nation economy is the world’s 4th largest consumer of oil, which has become more expensive.

In the second-quarter Yen outlook, I tried to predict Japanese inflation based on crude oil and coal, also factoring in time. By removing the lag from CPI data, I could use recent energy price data to estimate where Japanese inflation could go in the coming months. The approach correctly estimated inflation breaching the Bank of Japan’s 2% target in Q2. In this article, I revisited the original multiple linear regression model and simplified it by taking out the impact of coal. I then built a second model that tries to consider the Yen’s devaluation. But more on the latter shortly.

The first model below has an R-squared score of 41%. In other words, only 41% of the variation in Japanese CPI is explained by crude oil and time. More to the point, it greatly underestimated the actual CPI in May (0.97% y/y expected versus 2.5% printed).

ESTIMATING JAPANESE CPI – MODEL 1

Source: Bloomberg, Chart Prepared by Daniel Dubrovsky

WILL A WEAK YEN TRANSLATE INTO BOJ ACTION?

The second model below tries to predict Japanese CPI by also factoring in the Japanese Yen and holding constant G20 CPI. This is to see if a devalued currency could be an inflationary force for the island-nation economy. This model has a higher R-squared at 60%, meaning that 60% of the variation in Japanese CPI is explained by the variables. The higher accuracy of the model suggests the Yen could be a key factor in driving inflation. Without the Yen, the accuracy drops to 53%.

This model still underestimated actual CPI in May (1.8% seen versus 2.5% printed). It does see a slowdown in early Q3 before inflation rises back to target. It will remain to be seen if the BoJ will spring into action. A general rule of thumb for traders is to not fight central banks. As such, a dovish BoJ should still work against the Yen. But, a combination of inflation near target and rising concerns about JPY’s level could perhaps help stabilize the currency in the months ahead.

ESTIMATING JAPANESE CPI – MODEL 2

Source: Bloomberg, Chart Prepared by Daniel Dubrovsky

Japanese Yen Q3 2022 Technical Forecast: USD/JPY Targets 1998 High

Jul 2, 2022 | DailyFX
Thomas Westwater, Analyst

Yen reaches four-week high as commodity drop boosts haven demand

The Japanese Yen fell more than 10% versus the US Dollar in the second quarter as USD/JPY bulls pressed higher with nearly unrelenting vigor. USD/JPY broke its 2015 high in April when prices rallied 6.72%. The 2002 high then broke in June, putting prices in 1998 territory.

USD/JPY BULLS SET SIGHTS ON 1998 HIGH

That year’s high of 147.65 marks the next major technical obstacle for USD/JPY. That is less than 8% from where prices were in late June. Given the recent pace of gains in the currency pair, that level may be tested in short order. A break higher would put prices at their highest in over 30 years. The 1990 high at 160.16 would then present bulls with their next key objective.

USD/JPY MONTHLY CHART

Japanese Yen Q3 2022 Technical Forecast: USD/JPY Targets 1998 High

Chart created with TradingView

Can prices sustain such a blistering rally? The Relative Strength Index (RSI) suggests that the answer is “yes.” RSI rose to a record high on the monthly timeframe, breaking above levels set in late 2014 and neutralizing the possibility for negative divergence (at least for now).

Looked at it another way however, it is noteworthy that the MACD oscillator is struggling to reach 2015 levels, despite still rising strongly. Here, the higher high in prices coincides with a lower high on the indicator, revealing negative divergence. That may be a bearish sign. Should prices fail to sustain above the 2002 high through the start of Q3, a rewind of the rapid rise over Q2 may be possible. If so, the 200-day Simple Moving Average could offer bears an enticing target.