Sign in to follow this  

New platform CPU usage is very high

Hi there, I started to try out the new platform but comparing to 5% CPU usage in classic during any 'fairly' busy market hours, the new platform uses about 10-15% CPU. I run it on a server box with Xeon 1226v3 3.6g Quad core and 32GB DDR3 ram which would be sufficient for any browser based application. I tried both latest Chrome and Firefox and the CPU usage are similar on both.

Please could you let me know whether it is intended to use such an high amount of CPU or there is plan to reduce it.

(For reference, in the same box I ran a MySQL 5.7 server with 50+ concurrent connection with high thoughput I/O to a local SSD and it uses only 5-8% CPU)

Hi .  Just for reference, my system is not as high spec as yours but flicking through charts on the new platform the CPU use is much higher (up to 25% total use) but the RAM hardly flickers, it use to be the other way round. Presumably this is a function of the new HTML5 over the old Java?

Without a doubt though the charts load quicker than any other platform I have used and running a large number of charts and constantly flicking through them is no trouble at all.

Hi

The charts on the new platform definitely load faster compared to the classic platform charts, this is mainly due to the new charts not using Flashplayer. I did a test on my PC using Chrome 64-bit and found it to be using 8-12% CPU usage while having 9 pop out charts open.

If you are experiencing resource management issues on a high spec PC then it could be an issue with the browser. Please try to download chrome 64 bit this might solve your issue.

Let me know what your experience is like using the 64 bit browser.

Thanks

Anton

Thanks Antony. I was using all 64 bits browsers all the time so that's not the issue. I can see the CPU usage sometimes can be 8-12%. But that is still too high for a browser based application. I have multiple IG accounts so sometimes I open 3 different browsers and log in separately. Then my combined CPU usage shoots up to 25-45% percent just for IG platforms. That is without any chart opened.

In comparison, the classic platform uses maximum 1-2% CPU, and most of the time 0% during even busy market hours. That is whopping 1000-1200% jump in CPU usages. From a developer perspective (as being one with 15 years full-time dev experiences) I wouldn't even accept the new platform as a viable replacement for the old product given such an unbelievable jump in CPU consumption.

My servers are all heavy duty with all sorts of applications/databases/virtual machines running at the same time so such a jump becomes a headache for me please address appropriately and technically. I don't want to see the classic going away at any time just because it's low consumption on system resource.

Hi

That is quite a jump in usage. I will forward your test results to our developers to see if we can  make the platform less resource intensive. This would likely not be a quick fix but it is definitely worth looking into.

Thanks

Anton

I've got similar experience, there appears to be a huge memory hole somewhere.  The charts are fine to start with but after an hour or so the lag is unbearable and everything grinds to a halt.

This is with x64 Firefox browser on an exceptionally powerful PC, I've been trying to avoid it but will consider giving Chrome (spit) a try.

(the old chart is fine, no problems)

Same issue on Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) 1.5GB RAM and climbing after a couple of hours, 2 workspaces, about 15 charts in each of them.