US Treasuries ETF compatibility with ISA?

Is it possible to add shares in a US Treasuries ETFs such as iShares IDTG (20 yr +) within a UK Stocks and Shares ISA? The advice I can find online is that it should be possible as long as the ETF is traded on a recognised market such as FTSE, but I do not seem to be able to add IDTG to my stocks and shares ISA portfolio. I'm particularly interested in long maturity US Government bonds - ZROZ would be my preferred option, but again doesn't seem to be possible to add to an ISA.

Hi Anda,

Thanks for the response. Could I ask you to clarify a few points please so that my understanding is correct:

1) when you say the ETF is not ISA eligible - do you mean specifically the ETFs that I mentioned (IDTG and ZROZ) or do you mean all US Government bond ETFs are not ISA eligible?

2) are you able to share any ETFs linked to US Government bonds that are ISA eligible or point me towards where I can find this out?

3) could you expand a little on what you mean by "we only offer US ETFs to professional traders at this point". What do you mean by US ETFs? Do you mean any/all ETFs specifically linked to US Government bonds (even if they are traded on the FTSE) or does this just include US Government bond ETFs traded in the US, or all US ETFs in general (including those not linked to Gov bonds)?

Thanks!

Hi @Vile81

Thanks for getting back, 

Apologies, let me clarify

1. IDTG is ISA eligible, whereas ZROZ is not

2. Unfortunately we are not able to provide advice, however you should be able to purchase IDTG within the ISA

3. All US listed ETFs are only available to professional traders at this point, due to a EU regulation change that meant we were no longer able to offer them. 

All the best, 

Anda

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    reza12
    Joined 27/11/22 17:09
    • Week ahead - 28/11/22: DAX around German CPI; easyJet earnings As the week turns into December, we look at two trades to watch out for in the coming week: the DAX around German CPI and earnings out from easyJet. However, it’s a week in which retail sales are also out in a number of economies.    Jeremy Naylor | Writer, London | Publication date: Friday 25 November 2022 Events to watch on 28/11 Let's take a look first of all at the economic agenda and we begin on Monday with Australian retail sales out overnight. This represents part of the Australian economy, which is beginning to show signs of strain on the consumer like a lot of Western style or developed economies, with interest rates having risen by some hefty margin. The consumer is finding the going tough. Retail sales should give us a window into what's happening within the retail sector in Australia on Monday morning. Then later on in the day, the Dallas Fed manufacturing index coming through in the states, 29/11 Japanese retail sales, again same sort of comment there with regard what's happening. But the difference of course is that the Japanese central bank hasn't been raising rates and still has rates at that negative 0.1%. So not the same sort of dynamic going on but nonetheless still interesting to see whether or not there is any life in the retail sector in Japan. Then comes some of the more beefy data. We get German consumer prices, Canadian third quarter GDP, and the Conference Board consumer confidence number out in the States. That's all on Tuesday and then followed by the American Petroleum Institute on crude oil inventories. 30/11 On the last day of November this year, we kick off overnight with news coming through from the Chinese economy with the NBS manufacturing and services PMI data. Then later on in the day it's the last look at third quarter GDP and the French economy consumer prices as well in France, and also the CPI data out for the Eurozone as a whole. US ADP employment change coming through the midweek trading session of course ahead of the big one out on Friday from the Labour Department, this is the private payrolls number. We also get the final look at third quarter GDP in the States, pending home sales. We get the weekly look at the EIA crude oil inventories and the Fed beige book out a little bit later on in the day. 1/12 So now kicking off a brand new month on Thursday first of December. We started overnight with Caixin manufacturing PMI data from China, German retail sales, US personal income spending, initial jobless claim, core PCI price index and the ISM manufacturing number as well in the US economy. 2/12 And to crown off the week just to look at what's happening on Friday which for me is one of the big highlights of the week. Not German trade or Eurozone producer prices but the US Labour Department's release of the non-farm payrolls data out at 1:30pm. IGTV will be live five minutes prior to the release of that data and we'll take a look at what the issues could be for us traders as we look at that data which is all expected to continue to paint the picture for the Fed going into the last interest rate meeting of the year on 14 December. Then of course, as always in the end of the week, we get the Baker Hughes rig count as well.
    • Non-farm payrolls on Friday 2 December is the event to watch out for. IGTV’s Jeremy Naylor explains that with the Fed now watching and waiting to see what effect its tightening of monetary policy is having on the economy, job creations may start to slow down. If so, there may be a short USD trade to be had, so we look at USD/JPY.        
    • Is there evidence that things may be bottoming out across Europe? Today, German consumer confidence is up for a second month and alongside the improved business confidence seen this week, John Meyer, from SP Angel, spoke about how he sees things improving.