GBP little moved by Liz Truss resignation

As expected, the markets are little moved following the resignation of UK Prime Minister, Liz Truss. Seen by some as a slow car crash, the inevitable took neither GBP/USD nor GBP/EUR by surprise.

Jeremy Naylor | Writer, London | Publication date: Thursday 20 October 2022

UK PM resignation

We've just been witnessing one of the historical moments in British history with the resignation of the Prime Minister that just took over control a couple of weeks ago.

GBP/USD

We're watching what's been happening with the reaction of sterling against the US dollar. And these are 10-minute candles that we've seen, where we've seen this rise in the price of sterling against the US dollar, it's not been a big rise. And in terms of the long-term trend, we are being supported by this rising trendline support that we've got here.

So we're currently trading 11.267 - the move is not dramatic. To some degree, I guess this is probably what's been expected.

GBP/EUR

So far as sterling against the euro, we've got sterling pulling back against the euro. It is holding above this line of support that we had established when we saw the markets back on 15 June at 11.466. Not big moves, a little bit of volatility as we see the announcement made by Liz Truss. We will now go into a caretaker government and another election will be held in the Tory party for a new leader. And then all bets are off as to what happens then.

But expectations are high, certainly amongst the Labour opposition ranks, that there will be a general election sometime sooner rather than later, so far as they're concerned. But it certainly seems that with the election having to be held by May 2024, there's not an awful lot of room in terms of time left for the next incumbent of the leader of the Conservative Party to form a government with any lasting effect.

So we'll have to see what happens, but there's not much move on the foreign exchange markets in the wake of the startling news today from number 10 Downing street.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• It is a consensus that Web3 wallets offer users whole control over their assets, ensure protection against unauthorized access, deliver seamless access to the growing world of blockchain services and more. However one quality that many participants are yet to tap fully is the earning opportunities they unlock. So in my exploration to access those juicy opportunities, I’ve discovered quite a few on Bitget wallet. Earned good rewards from the previous ZETA airdrop, and now in line with offering an unparalleled rewarding trading experience in Web3, Bitget Wallet has launched a massive airdrop for its ecosystem token BWB. Scheduled to last from March 18 to April 28, participants are invited to download Bitget Wallet app on their devices and claim BWB by participating in events through the app—the more tasks completed, the more points you gain. I just think that considering that 164m BWB points have already been issued over the period of 5 weeks, with one more week to go, no better time to hop on this opportunity than now especially with a welcome bonus of 50 $BWB points up for grabs!
    • this sounds like an amazing opportunity for users in the crypto world. It's important to approach futures trading competitions with caution, ensuring one's financial stability and a comprehensive understanding of the market. While the prizes are enticing, responsible trading remains the ultimate goal. Thanks for sharing such an intriguing event, I’ll definitely be taking a look at it ! 
    • As a newbie crypto trader, I dove headfirst into the world of futures trading on Bitget. Feeling overwhelmed by the charts and analysis, I discovered their copy trading platform. It was a revelation! Following the strategies of Bitget's elite traders, I learned the ropes while making real profits. Their expertise took the guesswork out of trading, allowing me to focus on understanding the market. This new Bitget Futures Elite Trader Selection Program is fantastic news. It incentivizes these top traders, giving them greater exposure, while also helping new users like myself identify proven performers. It's a win-win for everyone, and a huge step forward in making futures trading more accessible and successful for beginners. Thanks Bitget!    
us