EUR/USD Update: Euro Area Inflation Declines for the First Time Since July 2021

EUR CPI Key Points:

EUR/USD Update: Euro Area Inflation Declines for the First Time Since July  2021

Euro Area annual inflation comes in at 10% for November, down from 10.6% in October to post its first decline since July 2021. Energy continues to have the highest annual rate but declined from 41.5% in October to 34.9% in November. Food, alcohol and tobacco prices rose to an annual rate of 13.6% compared to 13.1% in October. Core inflation data which excludes energy, food, alcohol and tobacco was steady and matched estimates with a print of 5%.

Graphical user interface, text, application, email  Description automatically generated

Customize and filter live economic data via our DailyFX economic calendar

The data coupled with softer readings from Germany, Spain and Belgium will no doubt give the European Central Bank a lot to ponder heading toward its December 15 meeting. Having hiked interest rates 75bp at its previous two meetings the question for markets is whether they are ready to slow the pace down to 50bp (Markets currently pricing in 54bp). Recent comments from ECB President Christine Lagarde would indicate that a slowdown may not be on the cards as Lagarde stated that inflation has yet to peak. ECB policymaker Isabel Schnabel meanwhile recently stated it may be too early to slow down the pace of rate hikes which makes Decembers meeting all the more intriguing.

Nov 30, 2022 | DailyFX
Zain Vawda, Analyst

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    toshendra
    Joined 27/01/23 19:31
    • I am a beginner, and I must say, there are a lot of rules to the trading game that one must abide by if they want to be successful.   Here, the writer mentions several basic rules for day vs swing trading.  However, I find that often times, the reasoning for these rules is not as  obvious for a beginner as it may be for an expert.   The 'why' factor if I may. For example, why must you have a large capital to trade with as a day trader? Because your positions must be large so that a small change in price will be augmented and turned into a large profit. Also, with such high risk, the margin will be specially high, given the trader is taking up large positions at a time.  Without a large amount of capital, positions may be forced to close due to funds being below margin requirements.  When this happens, you can expect to lose tons of cash, fast.  I learned the hard way. All the best, David Franco      
    • USDJPY has been regaining ground this week, but inflation differentials and a three-month trend signal the potential for another turn lower Source: Bloomberg      Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Friday 27 January 2023  USDJPY set for third monthly decline The USDJPY pair has been on the slide since its October high, with the historical 147.63 resistance level ultimately marking the end of the dramatic 21-month rally that saw the pair gain almost 50%. Much of that came through a period that saw US inflation soar as Japanese prices remain subdued. That disparity remains, but the direction of travel has certainly shifted as US CPI declines and Japanese price growth gradually ticks up. The overnight 4.3% figure for Tokyo core CPI represents a four-decade high, with the nationwide figures likely to follow on. The chart below highlights how USDJPY has been heavily correlated with the now tightening gap between US and Japanese inflation. However, it is more evident when shifting that inflation differential forward by seven-months. That close correlation highlights the potential for further downside as long as prices continue to trend in a similar manner. Source: ProRealTime Looking at the daily chart, the recent rebound has taken price up towards the top-end of a descending channel and Fibonacci resistance. This highlights the bearish pattern that has been playing out, with lower highs and lower lows in place in recent months. Unless we see price rise through trendline and 134.77 resistance, another turn lower looks likely for this pair. Source: ProRealTime
    • @MongiIG Hi - You recently covered Long NICKEL Trading the Trend and A. Rudolf did this morning but I see it is Closing only. Please clarify, Thanks D600