Jump to content

Bank of Canada expected to slow their tightening pace as inflation rolls over

Recommended Posts

The Bank of Canada looks set to slow their tightening pace, with USDCAD looking primed for another push higher

bg_cadusd_342313.JPGSource: Bloomberg

 Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Monday 05 December 2022 

When is the Bank of Canada meeting?

The Bank of Canada (BoC) will provide their latest monetary policy announcement at 3pm, on Wednesday 7 December 2022.

Inflation rolling over, allowing the BoC to slow the pace of tightening

Inflation in Canada has largely mimicked the US of late, with the June peak occurring simultaneously between both countries. This recent decline does provide some hope that the central bank will ease its pace of tightening, with markets now predicting the BoC will soon see rates grind top out at 4.25%. That correlation between US and Canadian inflation can be seen below, with the forecasts for interest rates also highlighting how we are expecting to see Canadian rates flatline lower and earlier.


This month sees expectations of a 25-basis point hike from the BoC, with markets attributing a 69% chance that we will see the bank break from the 50-100bp hike range seen over the past five-meetings. The remaining 31% accounts for the chance of another 50-bp hike.

BOCRATES51222.PNGSource: Eikon

Energy remains a key concern for USDCAD?

Crude oil has been on the back foot over much of this year, easing inflation concerns to a degree. The Canadian reliance on energy as a source of revenues has typically helped drive a strong inverse correlation between USDCAD and crude. We can see this relationship below, with WTI flipped to show one significant reason behind the USDCAD rally. With Chinese demand coming back online, there is a chance we could see a strengthening of crude in time. Such a rise in energy costs could subsequently help drive USD/CAD lower. It is certainly notable that the close relationship between the two has wavered somewhat of late, with the late-October pop in USDCAD occurring in the face of rising energy prices. Nonetheless, that correlation appears to have kicked in once again over recent weeks.

WTIUSDCAD51222.PNGSource: TradingView

Where now for USDCAD?

USDCAD has been on the back foot over the course of the past two-months, with price dropping into a confluence of the 100-day SMA and 61.8% Fibonacci support level. The uptrend dominant over the course of this year does bring expectations of another move higher before long. With that in mind, another rise looks likely before long. A swift end to the monetary tightening phase from the Bank of Canada could bring greater upside as the Fed continue to raise rates.

USDCAD-Daily-2022_12_05-14h48.pngSource: ProRealTime
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    Joined 26/09/23 17:31
  • Posts

    • Hi all, I am looking to open a spreadbet trade for Steakholder Foods but IG seem to currently not allow this. Do any of you know how best I can trade this stock? Looking to buy at around 80
    • I wanted to start investing and was surprised to find out how much I need to invest to get at least a euro. For this reason, I became interested in the stocks of small companies that might become large corporations in the future. Where can I find such companies? I found the website Fox Funds AI, but the selection there is limited.
    • Why Nike shares remain in a rut? Source: Bloomberg   Shares Nike, Inc. Price Share price Candlestick Profit  Axel Rudolph FSTA | Senior Financial Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 26 September 2023 14:02 Nike earnings due Nike is set to announce its earnings this week. Analysts predict that the company will earn 74 cents for each share with a total revenue of $13billion. This is in comparison to the same period last year when earnings were 93 cents per share on total revenue of $12.69 billion. However, it's not all bad news for Nike. When compared to other companies in the same industry, Nike's profit margins are still above average, and its valuation is below the long-term average. There is also a slight recovery in China, which is Nike's second-largest market. With China relaxing some of its Covid restrictions to boost economic growth, Nike stands to benefit from the ongoing reopening. There might be some positive changes in Nike's fundamentals. But for the company's shares to increase significantly in the near term, Nike needs to find ways to boost revenue growth and increase profit margins. Poor performance so far this year Nike’s stock price hasn’t performed well this year, with a 23% drop to date. This is in stark contrast to the 13% increase in the S&P 500 index. Over the past one and three years, Nike's shares have dropped by 9% and 30% respectively, while the S&P 500 index has increased by 32% and 145% during the same periods. Nike analyst ratings, price targets and sentiment Source: Refinitiv Refinitiv data shows a consensus analyst rating of ‘buy’ for Nike. Analysts show 7 strong buy, 15 buy, 9 hold, 4 sell and 1 strong sell - with the median of estimates suggesting a long-term price target of $123.00 for the share, roughly 35% higher than the current price (as of 26 September 2023). Source: IG IG sentiment data shows that 92% of clients with open positions on the share (as of 26 September 2023) expect the price to rise over the near term, while 8% of clients expect the price to fall. Trading activity over this week shows 55% of buys and this month 52% of sells. What does the technical picture look like? Nike’s share price is currently in free fall and is fast approaching its October 2022 low at $82.22. The question is whether the share price can hold above that low after this week’s first quarter (Q1) results. If not, that is to say if a weekly chart close below the $82.22 low were to be seen, the June and August 2019 lows at $78.19 to $77.07 would be next in line. NYSE Nike Weekly Candlestick Chart Source: TradingView For the bulls to be back in control in the medium-term the last weekly reaction high – a high on a weekly candlestick which is higher than that of the week preceding it and following it – at the $111.95 early August high would need to be exceeded. NYSE Nike Daily Candlestick Chart Source: TradingView On the daily chart the last reaction high was made at $98.15 in mid-September and below it solid resistance can be spotted between the August and 13 September lows at $95.66 to $96.55. Below these levels the August-to-September downtrend line can be spotted at $95.00 and is likely to cap any short-term bullish reversal, were it to be reached at all.     This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Markets Limited. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients. See full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.
  • Create New...