Sign in to follow this  

Don't like the new platform

I agree with most other users of the new platform.  I do not like it at all.  Not easy to use or navigate.  It is very bland and un-exciting !!

WQhy doesn't IG take any notice of its clients by insisting that we use the new platform which is certainly npot up to the oldplatforrms standard.    I am trotally fed up with it and won't trade on it which means I have to trade elsewhere.  I could not even get the classic platform this morning which was the last straw and showed me IG are not client oritentated.

Once upon a time I recommended IG to everyone, now I don't as I don;t think they cvalue their clients.

Yes it is a shame the very usable classic platform has gone - is there no way of still logging on to it? Like others I think I'll be voting with my feet on this one. Thanks

It hasn't gone yet - I'm still using it. 

I tried the new platform when first encouraged by IG to do so some months ago. It didn't take long for me to realise that, far from continuing the incremental improvement policy of the past, this was a more fundamental rethink which was going to take a little time to integrate into my established trading routine. I asked IG how long it would be before the old (now renamed 'classic') platform was withdrawn. I was told that for the time being they would run in parallel and that I could continue with the old one which I did.

In recent weeks I experienced a glitch (sound alerts stopped sounding). I was told it might be a Flash-related issue, something which wouldn't happen on the new platform which didn't use Flash. It emerged in subsequent correspondence that the Classic platform would be withdrawn in a few months.

I took the hint and re-explored the new platform. Finding that some of my earlier issues had been dealt with I familiarised myself with the new functionality one evening and decided to bite the bullet and go live with it the next day.

Two issues arose which meant I had to revert to the classic version to maintain continuity in that day's trading. I only referred these to IG on Friday and await their response.

The first issue was that when I set a price level alert it did not appear in the alerts tab. It worked in that I heard the sound alert and could see the trigger message in 'notifications' but couldn't change an alert on the tab. I was told I should be able to change one before it was triggered but not afterwards when the only option was to delete it and reset it on the chart window. Surprisingly, alerts I set on the mobile app DO immediately appear on the alerts tab - just not those set up on the PC.

The second issue related to charts. I predominantly used tick charts but found that on some stock charts there was no data before a few minutes prior to the previous close with the left half of the chart being greyed out. I also noted that sometimes the mid price on the y-axis was outside the buy/sell range on the ticket.

Neither of these inspired confidence and it was with some relief that I abandoned the new platform for the classic.

I'm the first to acknowledge that I dislike change to established systems which are essentially there to give background support to the tough job which is trading. I have often thought that whoever designs these systems ( and I include others apart from IG) has never been a trader but is following a brief specified by someone else.

I can see some positives in the new platform. eg I'm told the new one is faster (who doesn't want that) and being Flash-free is more secure and reliable - tick. I can also see that much thought has been given to maximise the use of screen space (less cluttered window margins and headers) and like, for example, the addition of good-sized tickets attached to charts which can be hidden when not being used. I also like the news tab on individual instrument charts - one of the things I suggested in Think Tank days. On the subject of news, I think a trick has been missed (which I also suggested in the Think Tank), namely that the news window be detatchable so it could be left open separately from the platform, eg on another screen.

So, given a free and binding vote I would stick with the classic with a policy of continuous, seam-free improvement because it can, of course be improved. However I am a realist and also accept my own limitations in being able to precisely define the perfect platform. Therefore I would implore IG not to withdraw the classic platform until 1) it is glitch-free and 2)they can commit to a process of continuous improvement of it to reflect client requirements. I would suggest the latter are identified by regularly canvassing the opinions of all users rather than relying on the think tank approach of enlisting a narrow of volunteers.

This way will allow clients to vote before being forced to vote with their feet and move away!

I really want to be able to continue to rate IG the best but am in doubt for the first time...