Sign in to follow this  

Limit buy max distance

Newbie doing first trade here. So i want to limit buy GTC a fairly volatile equity with no stop to hold longer term. When placing the order i get an error when placing an order "too far from the last traded price". The market price is 300 and my limit buy is 230.  

I can do this order in my demo account on the new platform. Is it something I'm doing wrong or is there a max distance i have to be from the market price. I have limited time and don't want to be looking at screen in real time for the volatility or setting alerts. Just want to fire and forget. 

All advice welcomed.

ig1.jpgig2.jpg 

Hi  

There is a max of 20% for limit orders from the last traded price. This is to stop accidental fat finger errors (and in some instances is due to restrictions by the exchanges themselves). If you were to call our dealing desk they should be able to get your order on your account. You can find the number to deal here >> https://www.ig.com/uk/contact-us 

Guest An IG customer

20% is too conservative, it should be higher