New platform: watchlist with multiple linked charts?

PeterTheGrate

Question

Ok, here goes for my first post to IG's Community...

I like to have a trading desktop with a list of instruments plus two charts that are set to different time periods. Let's say that I've got a watchlist with GBPEUR, GBPUSD and USDJPY, and two charts set to 4HOUR and 5MIN. The charts are linked so they show the same instrument, let's say GBPEUR to start with. Next I want to scroll through my watchlist so the charts show each instrument in turn.

PRT: I can click on GBPUSD, the next instrument in the watchlist, and both charts will change to that instrument. Really cool and very easy, but IG thinks I'm not trading enough to get PRT any more :-(

Old platform: I can drag the instrument I want from the watchlist to the bottom left corner of each chart and the chart will then change to that instrument. Not quite as easy as PRT but still ok.

New platform: I can't find any way of doing this.

So, can anyone tell me how to do this with the new platform? And I'm sorry if this question's been asked before - I tried to search for it but there are too many messages with "chart" in the title.

>PTG

7 answers to this question

Hi  there is no way to exactly mirror the behaviour of PRT or classic platform, however you can click the instrument names in your watchlist and it will open the chart for it.

If you already have the chart open in your workspace, clicking the instrument name for it will bring the relevant chart to the front, which I think works pretty well.

To have different time frames on same chart, check out split view in top left of charts:

Split view.png

Does this help? If not how would you ideally like it to work as I'd be glad to pass it on as feedback for the new platform.

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I was aware of that capability with the new platform, but for me it doesn't work as well as PRT or the old platform. As I see it, there are two main issues:

- My real watchlist has a lot more instruments in it than the example I showed above. If each one is shown in a different chart then I'll end up with a huge number of charts open - won't that slow the computer down?

- When I have my split chart set up with 4HOUR and 5MIN charts, and then click on the next instrument it opens a new single (not split) chart, so I only get one timeframe and have to fiddle around splitting the chart again.

So my feedback would be:

- could you make it so the new platform mimics PRT or the old platform?

- if not, then it should at least be possible to have a default chart setting whereby I configure a chart and then all new charts that open will be in the same configuration (timeframe, split setting, etc).

>PTG

Hi , I presume you want to dip in and out of the watchlist in the new platform rather than have all the charts running all the time in multiple workspaces that display 2 charts each, or multiple browsers tabs (available from the dropdown box next to workspace tab) that have multiple workspaces in each.

I suspect that is the only way to do it though, of course having all the charts open all the time may become resource heavy if you have many. 

Hi , I wanted to avoid having all the charts running all the time - as soon as I open more than a couple I can hear the fan in my laptop speeding up... I'll have a go with multiple workspaces, but I suspect it's going to be quite resource hungry.

Do you know if IG is planning to phase out the old platform? If they do so, I hope they'll try to upgrade the functionality of the new one first...

>PTG

Hi ,  using multiple browser tabs may help and worth a try, check your computer resource manager to find out how much ram (% of total) you are currently using for charts. You might also consider a fan bed for the laptop or even upgrading the ram chips, (I have had to do both over the years).

I am under the impression IG are in the process of phasing out the old platform but it seems gradual and country by country. 

Just like PRT, I will like IG's new platform to offer the option to click on a market and have the 1hr and 5mins chart linked and drawn on demand. Doing so is by far better than having separate chart per market in the watchlist, multiple running charts consume too much PC resource (RAM and CPU time).

Questions:

Is having a default chart setup linked to every market a limitation on the new IG platform??

Is IG working on offering such functionality???

Hi,

Work got in the way today so I didn't have much time to try out the new platform, but initial impressions are that it's not very flexible compared to the old one. It seems to take a lot of effort just to get charts the way I'd like them.

One thing that I couldn't understand: if I rename a workspace and have it open in a new browser tab, why can't the browser tab show the name I've assigned to the workspace? Surely that would make it much easier to navigate between workspaces?

Hopefully I'll have more time to look at this next week, but so far I'd say: please don't get rid of the old platform just yet...

>PTG

Archived