Sign in to follow this  

XBT Provider AB Bitcoin and Ether

I currently am invested in XBT Provider AB Bitcoin and Ether both in SEK and EUR. This is via Hargreaves Lansdown. I have looked for these products on the IG platform and cannot find them. They are Exchange Traded Notes (ETN's). I have noticed that you do offer both ETF's and ETN's for other products on your IG platform. 

Am I correct in assuming that they are not available?

If so then may I ask that you seriously consider making them available for those who do not want to trade Cryptocurrencies but want to invest in them and hold over a longer period of time. It is challenging and giving Bitcoin Investment Trust (Grayscale) a run for its money.

https://xbtprovider.com

http://bitcoinist.com/unprecedented-new-bitcoin-account-opening-expected-launch-futures-contracts/

https://www.investopedia.com/news/bitcoin-etfs-are-next-line-after-futures/

Hi - unfortunately we can't offer this stock via a share dealing account because we don't offer access to the underlying exchange in Stockholm (on a share dealing account). If you can find a similar product on the UK exchanges, or any of the following international exchanges, then I can of course see if the desk can add it. Please note that we can't necessarily add anything and everything... 

2018-01-04 08_48_38-Share Dealing Charges and Fees _ IG UK.png

We also can't offer ETN's via the leveraged spread or CFD offering. This is because ETN's can generally come with a number of high back end costs and high broker margin requirements, as well as a propensity to de-list quite regularly which can cause a hassle especially when you have to force a client out of their holdings (especially if the ETN is down). 

Thank you James for your quick response. You provide an excellent level of service which is very much appreciated.

I am afraid the alternative is the Bitcoin Investment Trust (Grayscale). However this trades to a premium against the NAV and I feel XBT offers a much better alternative with the options of EUR and SEK rather than BIT in USD. I am not aware of any other alternatives on the exchanges you suggest and I am certainly not aware of any on a UK exchange. 

I appreciate your last comment and would expect as much.

I wonder if you can offer shares such as Coinsillium and Kryptonite 1 PLC both listed on UK NEX Exchange? I am invested in both and enjoying amazing returns on both but it would be far more with leverage via IG spread betting. Are you able to offer these?

Unfortunately both of these are OTC markets which means that we are unable to trade on them. We only offer electronically matched exchanges, rather than these OTC stock markets which are inefficient, illiquid, and expensive. 

XBT Provider which is a subsidiary of Coinshares (UK) Ltd has now released an Exchange Traded Product (ETP) for Litecoin. 

This allows investors to invest in the Cryptocurrency without having to physically acquire it, open a wallet, etc. It also means those who do not want to trade such a volatile and high risk asset class can merely invest (buy and hold) through a normal online broker.

The broker I use for my XBT Bitcoin and Ether investments does not offer this Litecoin product yet. Also I am not sure which UK broker does so if anyone knows then please do share with this thread and with the IG Community.

It seems XBT launched this in March 2019 prior to the major recent rally and near possible lows so excellent timing from XBT! 

Also continuing from my own previous post (above) XBT have also released XRP Exchange Traded Product (ETP).

CRYPTO EXCHANGE TRADED PRODUCTS

The US is very much behind when it comes to Exchange Traded Products for Cryptocurrencies. Scandinavian countries are showing the US how it is executed.  

Hargreaves Lansdown offers this investment vehicle for Bitcoin in both EUR and SEK (Swedish Krona). It also offers the same for Ether. The Litecoin and XRP options are not available yet on Hargreaves Lansdown. 

@JamesIG,

Can this be moved into the Cryptocurrency / Blockchain section? I think more people will be interested who visit that specific forum than where it is now. 

Now I have openly shared that I have invested in Bitcoin via XBT Provider One in the SEK (Swedish Krona) currency as I am not sure what the future for the Euro holds with Brexit uncertainty and what any hard Brexit implications may be for other EU Member States. However, you can invest in this in EUR currency too. The same applies for in Ether as well. It now offers ETN's for XRP and Litecoin. 

There is also the Grayscale Bitcoin Investment Trust which is trading at a premium but if Bitcoin does well then this too could flourish for investors. This product is more for investing in Bitcoin rather than trading it. It presents a great way for an someone to gain exposure to Bitcoin in their portfolio without having to either physically acquire it and opening a Crypto Wallet, etc. or trading it. I believe nearly 3/4 of the demand from investors investing in this trust is from institutional investors including hedge funds based on the first quarter of 2019.

I am just going to share some of the latest news in relation to XBT Provider One products. They are Swedish domiciled so I am hoping they will not be included in the Crypto derivatives ban as they are not physically based in the UK though you are using a UK broker to invest in them. However, I cannot say 100% at this stage as I simply do not know what the outcome will be. 

XBT PROVIDER CHANGES NAME AND SYMBOL OF LITECOIN AND XRP TRACKING EXCHANGE TRADED PRODUCTS

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/07/02/1877055/0/en/XBT-PROVIDER-CHANGES-NAME-AND-SYMBOL-OF-LITECOIN-AND-XRP-TRACKING-EXCHANGE-TRADED-PRODUCTS.html

Guest Phil
3 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

I am just going to share some of the latest news in relation to XBT Provider One products. They are Swedish domiciled so I am hoping they will not be included in the Crypto derivatives ban as they are not physically based in the UK though you are using a UK broker to invest in them. However, I cannot say 100% at this stage as I simply do not know what the outcome will be. 

XBT PROVIDER CHANGES NAME AND SYMBOL OF LITECOIN AND XRP TRACKING EXCHANGE TRADED PRODUCTS

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/07/02/1877055/0/en/XBT-PROVIDER-CHANGES-NAME-AND-SYMBOL-OF-LITECOIN-AND-XRP-TRACKING-EXCHANGE-TRADED-PRODUCTS.html

Good to know thanks. 

Stupid rules if you ask me.

Phil.

No problems (Guest Phil).

I mean XBT Provider One are way ahead of the game in terms of these types of derivatives. A couple of years back they were attracting US citizens to invest in them as there was no similar product in the US. The US have the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust. Also Scandinavia is more open to Cryptocurrencies and countries like Sweden have embraced them more hence these products being domiciled in Sweden. 

@Excel09,

I personally invest in this derivative and have done so for a few years now. However, it is not for me to say whether anyone should invest or not. I am merely sharing a product in which I myself have invested my own capital. There are risks with Exchange Traded Notes (ETN's) and it is for you all to conduct your own due diligence and ensure the products fits with your risk profile.

For me personally it has been a great product and has similarities with ETF's. 

• Like 1

@TrendFollowerI will read up and get my understanding up to speed on ETN's. Ive only got into ETF's for stocks and never really understood ETN's. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge on this part.

@Excel09,

I use the UK broker, Hargreaves Lansdown. However, they only offer Bitcoin in SEK and EUR and Ether in SEK and EUR. I have selected both Bitcoin and Ether in SEK due to the uncertainty of the EUR going forwards. Hargreaves Lansdown have not yet started offering both Litecoin and XRP to its customers. 

• Like 1