UK share dealing and ISA custody fee

JamesIG

Question

Hi all - earlier today we sent an email to our share dealing clients to let them know that we are replacing our inactivity fee with a new share dealing and ISA custody fee of £24 a quarter. Although we are introducing this fee we will continue to offer very competitive share dealing costs, a great front end trading experience and safe custody of any assets you hold with us. 

IG Community is here to transparently discuss both market movements, and IG products and offerings in an open environment. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have here. The email was as follows.

Share dealing and ISA custody fee email

Date: 16.01.18

We’re writing to inform you that we’re replacing our share dealing inactivity fee with a quarterly £24 custody fee.

You could be subject to the fee if you hold shares or ETFs in a share dealing account or ISA at the end of each quarter. However, it is dependent on your trading activity – so you will be exempt from the charge if you:

• Deal three or more times across any of your IG accounts during the quarter
    AND/OR
  • Hold assets worth £15,000 or more across your IG Smart Portfolio accounts at the end of the quarter
    AND/OR
  • Hold no open positions in your share dealing account or ISA at the end of the quarter

Any commission you pay on your share dealing, ISA or SIPP accounts during the quarter will also be deducted from the fee. For example, if you placed a single trade in your ISA during the quarter at £8 commission, you would pay a custody fee of £16.

But don't forget that you only need to place three trades of any value across any of your IG accounts during the quarter, in order to be exempt entirely from the fee.

When will the fee come into effect?

Your accounts will be subject to the custody fee from 1 April 2018, which marks the start date of the first quarter’s activity. If you have not met our exception criteria during the quarter – and you have open positions on your share dealing account or ISA on 30 June 2018 – you will be charged in July.

Please note that the custody fee will be applied per client rather than per account, and accounts with assets will be allowed to go into deficit as a result of the charge.

Why are we implementing a custody fee?

Our share dealing service provides active traders with an on-exchange dealing platform, where they can buy and sell UK and international shares at low commission rates and with low currency conversion fees. Offering these assets – and providing safe custody of them – comes at a cost, which we believe should be fairly met by clients who use these services.

However, to show gratitude to our active traders and investors, we're happy to reduce or waive the fee for those who meet the trading conditions listed above. For more information about the custody fee, please visit our website. Or to see our fees and charges in full, click here.

[end of email] 

Share dealing and ISA custody fee quick FAQ's

When? The quarter start date is April 1st so the earliest existing accounts could be charged is July 2018 based on their holdings as of 30th June.

How? We want to avoid taking funds from an ISA to cover custody fees where possible. As a result we will first attempt to take funds from the share dealing account, if there is no cash balance then it will go to the ISA. If there is no residual cash in either account then we'll charge the account with the greatest asset value. 

Is this per client or per account? Per client.

Can I reduce these fees? You only need to place three trades of any value across any of your IG accounts during the quarter, in order to be exempt entirely from the fee.

I don't have any open position in my ISA or share account. Will I be billed? If you hold no open positions on your share or ISA account you won't be billed.

Are transfers out still free? Yes.

Do transfers (in or out) count as trade? No.

I don't have an account open via the UK office, so will I be charged? Only those subject the UK site terms and conditions and Product Details. Australian, German, Dutch and French site clients will see no change, although a similar fee might be considered in the future

BigNoo wrote:

I am holding over £15k in a Share Dealing Account so am I right to assume I will get charged the fee ? 

£15,000 worth of cash on a share dealing account, not held in a Smart Portfolio, wouldn't meet one of the three requirements, so in this example you would be charged the fee. 

Chris900 wrote:

So basically I get charged the new £24 fee every quarter or I make 3 trades at £8 each (totaling £24). There really isn’t a way around effectively losing £96 per annum now wait for badly performing stock to bounce back is there?

Hi  - If you are an active trader on the IG share dealing platform then this is correct. You can also hold £15,000 in a Smart Portfolio, or trade a minimum of three times across any of our other account types such as spread betting or CFD trading. 

You can see how we compare against our competitors here, or via the extract below. 

Provider IG Hargreaves Lansdown Barclays Halifax HSBC Selftrade Interactive investor
Standard commission rate (UK shares) £8 £11.95 £6 £12.50     £10.50 £11.75 £10
Best commission rate (UK shares) £5 £5.95 £6 n/a £7.95 £6 £6
How to qualify for the best rate Place 10 trades, or one leveraged trade, per month Place 20 trades per month n/a n/a Place 9 trades per quarter (Plus account only) Place 20 trades per month Place an average of 10 trades per month for three consecutive months
ISA admin fee £0 to £24 /quarter 0.45% up to £45pa 0.1% up to £125pm £12.50pa £42pa No £22.50 per quarter - gives you £22.50 of trading credits
Standard commission rate on US shares 2 cents per share, minimum of $15 £11.95 n/a    £12.50 $29.95 (Plus account only) £12.50 + 0.5% of trade value £10
FX conversion fee 0.30% 1.50% n/a 1.25% 0.00% 0.50% 1.50%
Total cost to you on a US share trade of $50001 £22.31 £64.67 n/a £55.78 £22.27 £53.20 £63.22
Commission on trades placed by phone £40

1% (min £20, max £50)

£25 £25 £29.95 £17.50 Online share dealing rate + £40

Hi James IG, can IG management consider a fairer charging system by using a credit system, meaning a maximum total credit of £96 (£24 x 4). This way for those who trade more in anyone quarter but not trading in some other quarters can still claim the credit and reduce the fees. This IG system is putting pressure on investors to trade when they are not ready and this has to be bad practice.

Also Now IG starts to charge this quarterly fee can IG put in a proper 'stop loss' for share dealings investors. Please do not suggest we can use alerts and other methods as they are not the same. I have Australian stocks; due to the time difference the alert can come say 3:00 am UK time when I am sleeping. 'stop loss' is a basic but essential tool for share dealings and a good 'stop loss' should allow the investor to choose how long it can remain active for UK and all international stocks.

Guest Chris900

Hi, 

Do you have any info regarding how I'd transfer my shares elsewhere, if there are any fee's from IG etc please? I'm pretty sure Halifax accept shares from elsewhere FOC and I can just let them sit there for as long as I want with them without charges (I think)

Thanks

Chris 

Hi Chris

You’ll have to DYOR on whether iWeb or one of the other platforms is the best place for your investments. I’m certainly no expert. As I do understand it though iWeb do not charge an ongoing fee, just a set up (£25) and then trading fees. If you are not trading then that would be cheaper than IG.

IG don’t charge for transferring out and iWeb don’t charge for transferring in. I think that iWeb handle all the transfers once you have set up an account with them.

if you do go down this route might be good to share your experience with the IG community before you depart

Guest frostie

So is it possible to avoid the fee by placing 3 spread bets in the quarter? then no fee will be charged across share dealing account?

Also is there an indicator on the platform to tell a user that they will incur the 24£ penalty charge or a method that the platform says the user will be exempt for the quarter because x conditions have been met?

Guest Chris900

Hi, 

Thanks for the help Goldry. I'm definitely going to try sort something out. I know Halifax don't charge you to transfer in so if IG don't charge you to transfer out that could be the solution

I'll post on here with what I've sorted when it's done

Chris 

Frostie

I had a trial account for a while last year. Whilst it looked quite good I found the tools very limited and also couldn't trade in some (AIM) companies. For me too many limitations for anything serious, but it might have improved in the last 9 months.

Hi James IG, in your chart you did not put in yearly management fee from each broker, e.g. Hargreaves Lansdown's fund and share account does not charge any quarterly or annually management fee; which is ideal for keeping shares for long term. I think IG should consider that for ISA and share dealing accounts if they hold £15,000 or more there should be no fee. I won't be surprised that many IG clients are looking for another broker.

Hi all - thanks for your replies and questions on this one. Let me try and go through some of these replies.

invest-h-home wrote:

Hi James IG, can IG management consider a fairer charging system by using a credit system, meaning a maximum total credit of £96 (£24 x 4). 

Also Now IG starts to charge this quarterly fee can IG put in a proper 'stop loss' for share dealings investors. 

Hi  - In regards to your feedback points these are definitely things I can feedback. It's worth noting that although a stop level isn't shown on a deal ticket for share dealing, you can create one manually. For example say you have 10,000 shares in Lloyds when it was 70p but you wanted a stop at 50p. All you would do is bring up a new deal ticket and set a 'stop order GTC' to sell that particular share at a level of 50p. This GTC order will remain on exchange for a period of 90 days and will trigger if the market moves through this level. 

TrendFollower wrote:

My take on all this is very simple. Use IG's Spread Betting platform which is not included for the quarterly fee.

You can still trade shares and have positions via spread betting which is free from Income and Capital Gains tax. 

Only Share and ISA accounts will have the fee. It does not apply to Spread Betting and CFD accounts.

- this is certainly one option. Another option is to place three spread bets on your linked spread betting or CFD account to mitigate the charge. 

Goldry wrote:

I will look at how this might affect me in the first couple of quarters of operation. If I incur charges that I can avoid I'll move to iWeb or similar.

What would make this much more acceptable would be to allow a credit to build up so that trading fees from other than the charging quarter could be used to offset the custody fee. I think this is how iii work their fees.

- I will pass this feedback onto our decision making team.

I also appreciate that other providers such as iWeb will have different offerings, costing, and supporting packages which in some cases maybe more what you are after. If IG isn't for you then that is of course fine but it's also important to look at a providers offering as a whole. For example things like their dealing platform and international FX charges. (For example iWeb look to have a 1.5% FX charge compared to IG's 0.3%. That would mean a single £5k round trade on American stock is going to cost £150 compared to IG's £30). 

Although there maybe others out there with a low base cost, I think the IG package as a whole is still very competitive, however as stated this does depend on what you are looking for. If you would just like a place to hold stock then maybe other providers would be more suitable. We would like to position ourselves as the place to come for active traders, hence the change in commission and administrative costs.  

Chris900 wrote:

Do you have any info regarding how I'd transfer my shares elsewhere, if there are any fee's from IG etc please? I'm pretty sure Halifax accept shares from elsewhere FOC and I can just let them sit there for as long as I want with them without charges (I think)

Hi  - investments can be transferred in or out free of charge. If you are looking to transfer out please get in contact with your new provider who will facilitate the transfer. 

frostie wrote:

So is it possible to avoid the fee by placing 3 spread bets in the quarter? then no fee will be charged across share dealing account?

Also is there an indicator on the platform to tell a user that they will incur the 24£ penalty charge or a method that the platform says the user will be exempt for the quarter because x conditions have been met?

Hi  - In regards to your first point, yes you can do three spread bets in a quarter and this will satisfy the requirements. In regards to your second point, let me get back to you. At present I am unsure if there will be anything in platform, however we will probably have some sort of email notification. 

invest-h-home wrote:

Hi James IG, in your chart you did not put in yearly management fee from each broker, e.g. Hargreaves Lansdown's fund and share account does not charge any quarterly or annually management fee; which is ideal for keeping shares for long term. I think IG should consider that for ISA and share dealing accounts if they hold £15,000 or more there should be no fee. I won't be surprised that many IG clients are looking for another broker.

- Thanks for your thoughts on this. I shall pass on your feedback to our decision making team however I don't believe this is likely to change as this is basically the model we had before (without the 15k caveat), and doesn't address the branding point we are pushing for: that IG is a very cost efficient broker with a multitude of trading tool and the place to come for active traders. 

Guest JackJones

I concur that as I only invest small amounts and can not always afford to trade that once a month, 1) my gains vs fees will offset massively bringing my potential gains down and even if I was getting decent dividend payments to offset this is a pain, essentially any trader would have to make £100 a year to break even before claiming any capital gains not only that but you charge £8 to buy and then another £8 to sell...

2) with the other companies that you have put comparisons against you have a better share dealing cost but due to this new cost you are actively punishing people for holding off trades for a better time to buy e.g the market are crashing and trades want to wait for a bounce back now they will get charged for trying to invest intelligently!

My personal opinion is that you have just completely spoilt you company as one of the best trading companies, an inactivity fee was already in place so idle traders were still charged but now even patient traders are charged unnecessarily...

Archived