DAX WEEKLY OPTIONS SET AND FORGET STRATEGY

Guest oilfxpro

Guest oilfxpro

BUY STRADDLE EVERY MONDAY 8 AM.Put limit order and set and forget until options expiry  on friday or  closing day.

PREMIUM PAID FOR STRADDLE IS 200 , THIS PREMIUM IS HIGH , WHEN VOLATILITY IS LOW , PREMIUM WILL BE LOWER AT 120 PIPS , THUS ELIMINATING MANY LOSSES FROM THESE CALCULATIONS

Using various betting sequences  , and taking profits  sequences , the following results were obtained on   rough back tests.The strategy is still in development. 

The following results were obtained , using £100k account

I am looking for hisrical  option prices for straddle  traded on monday am or tuesday am , on receipt I willl be able to post more

NB EDITED POST

I have actually found that by trading long  calls  only,  I  can get better profit .read more 

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/indices/224294-profitable-support-trading-indices-dow-dax-nasdaq-s-p.html#post2920018

accurate resultsIG.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oilfxpro

This week profit from this strategy was 240 pips .2014  option prices  example make this profitable in early periods of testing  , if option prices were around 120 

Interesting, where is your end target for the move at?

I currently have a position on 250 point credit from the 23 Mar turn ar B/E stop preotection but I think I'll hold that for the medium term (or at least until I see a bit more clarity on the move).  Got another 100 points from 9am this morning (2 positions) and mulling a split bet approach such that I would cash 1 and hold the other at B/E.  I think there is a bit more to go on this move before the US market begins to come alive and may provide a bit of a rally before another more significant drop.

What is your analysis telling you on the Dax?

Guest oilfxpro

Hi  Mercury

This is a set and forget strategy  , place limit orders on monday  on cash  , after buying straddle   and keep taking profits on the straddle  with cash limit orders , and run cash orders if filled for 300 pips  or expiry.

i  do no try and guess direction on this strategy

Guest oilfxpro

When you run your profits on dax , it can move 300 pips in a day  , and it does it frequently  , that is when you make money.If you are patient , these profits will come  , and I got 3 more days  plus nfp

I like to run my profits  , when I catch the right side of dax

Most traders can not run their profits  or cut their profits  and underperform

Guest oilfxpro

I  was making 50 pips today  , I did not take it , my targets is  3 figures ..

If i  lose  , I can on ly lose 44 pips    , but if I make  , i will make  300

Guest oilfxpro

took 88 pips profit on cash  .closed it 

straddle cost 180 -88 92 pips premium left

i have two other positions long on dax   , straddle 9950 call  plus10050  call weekly for 32

should  really run this poition

Hi oilfxpro 

I will have to re-read this thread, but just jumping in on the last few posts - what do you mean when you say you make "pips" with the DAX or your option premiums? 

To me, pips are for FX and are 1/1000's.  Indexes, or other commodities use points, which are normally 1/100 or 1 cent say, or 1point on an index (multiplied by the dollar value per point of the index to get a cash equivalent).

300 pips on the DAX is not the same as 300 points then - which is why I ask.

And 300 pips for an option price (whatever that might be - 30cents?) is not the same as $3.00.

Yet seems like you are profitable whichever metric you are using.  Keep it up.  And thanks if you can clarify this small question. 

Guest oilfxpro

Silly me  

impatience , my target was 300 , it has already given  230pips since entry

I came out with 88 pips   only

MOST traders underperform  

Guest oilfxpro

i had  9950 straddle  long , I  have now locked away 96 pips  from  92 pips   premium left .My net profit is only 4 pips  so far with 3 days remaining and nfp 

I still have 10050  weekly call  long

THE BENEFITS OF SET AND FORGET STRAEGIES (This is not a link to buy education)

http://www.learntotradethemarket.com/forex-trading-strategies/set-and-forget-forex-trading-keep-your-day-job

set and forget mechanical strategies can  eliminate  indicators , t/a , phsychology , execution and other issues  , these are  the oneswhere traders fail  

Guest Condor

Hi  this is a really interesting idea.  May I just clarify.  I'm takling this to be a Long Straddle.

Would you Buy a Call & Buy a Put on the contract closest to the current level of the Index.  so right now the index is at 10304 so perhaps choose the 10300 Call and Put.  You pay premium on both and are in profit providing the index moves in either direction by enough to cover the cost of the two premiums paid - which by your trading experience/analysis it does. 

Thanks C

Guest oilfxpro

Hi  Condor

I usually use cash   to lock away option profits   , rather than close option trades 

xample my straddle is making 100 pips  on the long  , I go short cash  100 pips higher.

A straddle is  at the money

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=options+straddles+strangles+examples

It does not always cover the premium a,if volatility is low, these are losing weeks    , but when you get your winning weeks  , I run them  for  300 to to 500pips   (i failed this week on first trade , because I had other positions long)

Guest Condor

Thanks  that makes sense (Long Straddle) .  So you watch progress during the week and if it moves as per your example..

'my straddle is making 100 pips  on the long  , I go short cash  100 pips higher.'......  i.e. The Buy of the Call (the index has gone up by 100 pips) ..... you [go short cash 100  pips higher] .... sorry don't quite get that...would you mind expanding that part ...  ( I get the idea you are locking in the profit ?)

C

Guest oilfxpro

I buy  9950  calls and puts  for 180, at begining of week

price goes to 9800  or within 10 pips , 9810  long cash dax , target 300 pips profit 

price goes to   10050  , short cash  to lock away profit on call  ,  target 300 pips profit  on cash short  ,let option expire

Guest Condor

I'm looking to see if the strategy works in the Spread Betting Account - the  cost looks to be around 140 pips as I think you are indicating

Guest oilfxpro

Condor

You need to back test your strategy for at least 2 years , whatever variations you use

I am using   4 strategies around  the weekly options , straddles  , straddles+ cash , strangle for breakouts  ,strangles/cash  for counter trades , so FOLLOWING ME WOULD GET  CONFUSING.

I back tested allmy strategies on excelfor 2 years

Guest Condor

Appreciate the health/wealth warning :) - thanks for the comment - glad you posted up this idea as I may be able to adapt / use for my own position on indices, DAX or otherwise.

Guest oilfxpro

yesterday

i had  9950 straddle  long , I  have now locked away 96 pips  from  92 pips   premium left .My net profit is only 4 pips  so far with 3 days remaining and nfp 

I still have 10050  weekly call  long

I decided to take 64 puips       profit on cash short  , this was not written in system (market  is biased  long ,  )    , this leaves me with   32 ticks risk on the table , with the 9950 straddle in place.There  are many phsychological reasons  why traders  can not follow systems to the rule

Guest oilfxpro

i   took an overnight long on dax   at 9906     against straddle    =  44 pips locked away  - 32 = 12 pips profit locked away

less overnight carry

Archived