Indices

Indices were hovering around down sweet f*k all since the middle of June (except bouncing up and down like a jogger's t!ts), as I said before, unless you have magical scalping skills you weren't making money from trading the indices for over a month.  The 'recovery' has stalled and there's no money to be made, but plenty to be lost.

Edited by dmedin
41 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Indices were hovering around down sweet f*k all since the middle of June (except bouncing up and down like a jogger's t!ts), as I said before, unless you have magical scalping skills you weren't making money from trading the indices for over a month.  The 'recovery' has stalled and there's no money to be made, but plenty to be lost.

Well if someone is trading off the four hour charts looking for a trend move over many days they may be better off scanning many securities.

For me a pure scalp is buying the bid and selling the offer which I am not profitable in so I use the word scalp to refer to opening and closing in about 15 minutes. I would call a move of 100 points in 2 hours a swing trade and not a scalp.  

27 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Do such trades occur regularly for you?  Are you able to watch your charts all day long, every day, to catch them?

For those moves glancing at the charts every 15 minutes is probably better while you don’t have an open position. I set price alarms around areas of interest and sometimes use a chime when the 5 minute candles close. Catching two 100 point moves a week is achievable.

• Thought provoking 1
3 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

For those moves glancing at the charts every 15 minutes is probably better while you don’t have an open position. I set price alarms around areas of interest and sometimes use a chime when the 5 minute candles close. Catching two 100 point moves a week is achievable.

On DJIA?  I bet at minimum (20p per point) so 100 points is only £20.  Not a great return.

9 minutes ago, dmedin said:

On DJIA?  I bet at minimum (20p per point) so 100 points is only £20.  Not a great return.

When the frequency of my trades increased in late February I was only trading 50 cents a point. Obviously that was not going to continue, I was planning to trade larger amounts or go back to the drawing board.

27 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

aatr1.png.f9967142532ee81b8013cdbc7936b423.png

If you want to make a 3% or even 6% return, go ahead and buy and hold an S&P 500 ETF.  Put a regular amount in every month.  Little work involved.

At least 78% of traders (this is likely to be an understatement) LOSE money.  They can't even make a 3% annualized return from their magic scalping skills.  Instead they LOSE money.  When they could have made money by doing pretty much f*k all.  What a bunch of idiot losers :D:D:D

2 hours ago, dmedin said:

Whenever I've tried short-term trading I get stopped out continuously, hence the reason I stopped doing it :)

I started trading very short term when the market was falling hard and I had no confidence in the longer term and I was immediately profitable in it. Being profitable from the first trade has only happened to me previously in the GBP/USD. I had this thing looking at the GBP/USD, EUR/USD and EUR/GBP and waiting until 2 or 3 of them were bouncing into support/ resistance. I transferred this approach over to Indices where it works better. So maybe the 78% of traders you are referring to only need to identify a sweet spot.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, dmedin said:

So, in hindsight.  How did you trade it 'in the moment'?

The potential support/resistance is on the charts and that much is not hindsight. I have sort of taken the day off and am watching a TV show and have only traded the Dax today. I don’t think I can give a running commentary on what I am doing without it adversely affecting um what I am doing.

• Great! 1
9 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

The potential support/resistance is on the charts and that much is not hindsight. I have sort of taken the day off and am watching a TV show and have only traded the Dax today. I don’t think I can give a running commentary on what I am doing without it adversely affecting um what I am doing.

Short term charts make no sense to me, you can get an extended run after breaking a resistance/support/MA or it can oscillate or turn the other way.

Seems like a question of luck to me.  And since most of the time it isn't trending, you get whipsawed constantly meaning you have to make a lot of profit on the very few occasions you get it right :)