God bless ye Russell¬†ūü§Ď

US Russell 2000_20200810_07.08.png

There's perfect money-losing market behaviour for you.  At least six fake breakouts, three on either side.  Enjoy losing money when betting either way :D

138082844_Germany30_20200810_09_14.thumb.png.50cc7d2bba0dd165bafa146e0ea13b72.png

FTSE 100 hammers the brakes, comes screeching to a halt and does a massive 180 turn before zooming off in the direction it came from!  (Phew, I wonder if it left skidmarks ...)

FTSE 100_20200810_09.25.png

14 minutes ago, dmedin said:

There's perfect money-losing market behaviour for you.  At least six fake breakouts, three on either side.  Enjoy losing money when betting either way :D

138082844_Germany30_20200810_09_14.thumb.png.50cc7d2bba0dd165bafa146e0ea13b72.png

Most breakouts of a range fail, most reversals of a trend fail.

• Thought provoking 1

3 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

Most breakouts of a range fail, most reversals of a trend fail.

Indeedūü§ď

There goes Wall Street, canny loons¬†ūü§ď¬†(The Nasdaq has cacked its britches)

Wall Street_20200810_14.56.png

Wrap your chops around that big beezer ūüėė¬†

Germany 30_20200811_09.07.png

Holy smokes, the S&P 500 is back above 3300.  I sold a September 3300 call option a while ago thinking there was no chance of it making money.  Crikes! Just goes to show you should hold on to your options till the bitter end.1317753698_US500_20200811_11_57.thumb.png.c5ea11d20aab3d5733b5a2893abbec54.png

I have a short¬†on at 3120, every expert it the world said a months ago it ¬†was going to tank !¬†ūüėē¬†

• Sad 1

S&P backing away from it's ATH.

S&P and FTSE daily.

Dax and Dow H! charts;

image.thumb.png.a216bcfa9b904298a7478160a2509743.png

image.thumb.png.6167b2a0f0184319eba85ce6ad951b66.png

image.thumb.png.f5a33dcc3075eb6bc4cbe787955eff48.png

Posted (edited)

God **** I don't understand these markets 

Headline news British economy suffered record collapse in the second quarter

FTSE rises fast from open¬† and I drop 500 in about 25 minutes!¬†¬†ūüėĖ

Looks like one of the biggest bullish 30min candles in weeks. 

That's it I am staying away from the 'Open', don't know diddlysquat about it 

Edited by DavyJones

18 minutes ago, DavyJones said:

God **** I don't understand these markets 

Headline news British economy suffered record collapse in the second quarter

FTSE rises fast from open¬† and I drop 500 in about 25 minutes!¬†¬†ūüėĖ

Looks like one of the biggest bullish 30min candles in weeks. 

That's it I am staying away from the 'Open', don't know diddlysquat about it 

the market is not the economy, the companies that make up the ftse are big internationals and have their biggest market in the US so ftse and dax will follow the US indices which are an expression of future confidence in the US economy and so the US consumer. The UK market is not that important to them. 

image.thumb.png.0b23ee2c7642d35b35bafbeb5bf72f4d.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

the market is not the economy, the companies that make up the ftse are big internationals and have their biggest market in the US so ftse and dax will follow the US indices which are an expression of future confidence in the US economy and so the US consumer. The UK market is not that important to them. 

after I posted that I check the 250, that's much more UK focused I'd imagine. That gapped down

2 minutes ago, DavyJones said:

after I posted that I check the 250, that's much more UK focused I'd imagine. That gapped down

yes, smaller companies. also you are right to avoid the open when there is always turmoil with big volumes going through in both directions, rather wait for things to settle and one way direction to the next level is established. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

yes, smaller companies. also you are right to avoid the open when there is always turmoil with big volumes going through in both directions, rather wait for things to settle and one way direction to the next level is established. 

another lesson learned! I think I'll have to turn to swing trading , my Day trading is just not looking  feasible 

6 hours ago, DavyJones said:

another lesson learned! I think I'll have to turn to swing trading , my Day trading is just not looking  feasible 

With higher time frames and looser stops you're less beholden to 'events', this is evidenced by backtesting using a purely mechanical approach and simply following the signals.  Responding to events is a mug's game anyway because there will always be 'unexpected' announcements...

FTSE100 DAILY chart

Potential wash 'n' rinse in the offing.......

365.thumb.JPG.2f8af28a0d9e30fc7b18381c900adb57.JPG

Japan breaks through Eileen ūüėė

Japan 225_20200812_16.21.png

57 minutes ago, dmedin said:

With higher time frames and looser stops you're less beholden to 'events', this is evidenced by backtesting using a purely mechanical approach and simply following the signals.  Responding to events is a mug's game anyway because there will always be 'unexpected' announcements...

thanks dude, problem is that some news events are quick wins like HERTZ EasyJet,  but Indices I find it difficult to work out

1 minute ago, DavyJones said:

thanks dude, problem is that some news events are quick wins like HERTZ EasyJet,  but Indices I find it difficult to work out

lol I'm the opposite and find it far harder to trade individual stocks.  

Mainly because of the constant gapping.

2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

ol I'm the opposite and find it far harder to trade individual stocks.  

Mainly because of the constant gapping.

I think my best strategy is 20k "all on red", better that the daily waterboarding¬†ūüėĄ

• Great! 1

1 hour ago, dmedin said:

Japan breaks through Eileen ūüėė

Japan 225_20200812_16.21.png

It has been following the European indices higher, but with a 400 point rise after its close I think some buyers may be setting themselves up for a disappointment.

• Sad 1