Indices

7 minutes ago, cheviot said:

I do buy indx sometimes.....I bought FTSE 100 at 7629 at 7 this morning as hedge against my SP short , then i dumped it at 7630 for a point profit.....You bulls would have been proud of me...

well in today's market yeah, not much to write home about on that chart;

image.thumb.png.542f7ecaa4e4baf3f5dfae449d170464.png

• Like 1

Donald J. Trump  @realDonaldTrump

18m

“11,000 points gained in the Dow in the 3 years since the Election of President Trump. Today it may hit 29,000. That has NEVER happened before in that time frame. That has added 12.8 Trillion Dollars to the VALUE of American Business.” @Varneyco @FoxNews The best is yet to come!

everyone's waving 'Dow 30,000' hats! I want one😉

image.png.d2edd07ac9e5c8740da27b03d2720d86.png

• Like 1
  • Great! 1
2 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Donald J. Trump  @realDonaldTrump

18m

“11,000 points gained in the Dow in the 3 years since the Election of President Trump. Today it may hit 29,000. That has NEVER happened before in that time frame. That has added 12.8 Trillion Dollars to the VALUE of American Business.” @Varneyco @FoxNews The best is yet to come!

everyone's waving 'Dow 30,000' hats! I want one😉

image.png.d2edd07ac9e5c8740da27b03d2720d86.png

But he lags the democrats😁

"'Trump’s stock market rally is very good, but still lags Obama and Clinton"

"The Dow Jones industrial average has gained about 45 percent since Trump was sworn in nearly three years ago. The Dow was up about 53 percent at this point in Obama’s presidency and a whopping 57 percent in Clinton’s early years in office."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/28/trumps-stock-market-rally-is-very-good-still-lags-obama-clinton/

• Like 1

Dow high of the day 29055 new all time high. Same for S&P. S&P retail positioning (bottom chart) and the crowd massively short as they have been all year, obviously all contrarians have been long all year, may all you bears  continue to keep buying short contracts and keep this bull rolling. 😂

image.thumb.png.893787d15a67739ea6450ea320685ead.png

image.thumb.png.09ca755ff6b38d3a2531212d405ed66b.png

image.png.cdf0973b4364fe81134ee73d51573d45.png

1 hour ago, Kodiak said:

But he lags the democrats😁

"'Trump’s stock market rally is very good, but still lags Obama and Clinton"

"The Dow Jones industrial average has gained about 45 percent since Trump was sworn in nearly three years ago. The Dow was up about 53 percent at this point in Obama’s presidency and a whopping 57 percent in Clinton’s early years in office."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/12/28/trumps-stock-market-rally-is-very-good-still-lags-obama-clinton/

great, so this is just an average run then and bound to continue for at least another few years. 🥳

• Great! 1
13 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

great, so this is just an average run then and bound to continue for at least another few years. 🥳

Probably, 

Dont forget to use a wide stop😉

"To summarize: while the range of returns across 1-year periods have varied from negative 37.0% to +53.2%, the annualized returns across 20 year periods have a much tighter range from +0.5% to +13.2%."

https://themeasureofaplan.com/us-stock-market-returns-1870s-to-present/

Returns-by-year.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kodiak said:

Probably, 

Dont forget to use a wide stop😉

"To summarize: while the range of returns across 1-year periods have varied from negative 37.0% to +53.2%, the annualized returns across 20 year periods have a much tighter range from +0.5% to +13.2%."

https://themeasureofaplan.com/us-stock-market-returns-1870s-to-present/

Returns-by-year.png

I wonder what my Grand father would have made of this.....he was trading shares in 1930....Supposedly made a fortune on the 1927 BULL wave....Lost his shirt in 1930..Made it all back and stuck it into other things instead....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cheviot said:

I wonder what my Grand father would have made of this.....he was trading shares in 1930....Supposedly made a fortune on the 1927 BULL wave....Lost his shirt in 1930..Made it all back and stuck it into other things instead....

Maybe he'd be wondering why people are stupid enough to still be doing the same sh!t almost 100 years later.

'Doing other things instead' - oh how I wish we could all do that and get free of the shackles of international financial capitalism aka 'the great swindle'.

So Friday ended up a downer for the indices after an entire day of going nowhere slowly, and the day-end candle is a bearish engulfing.

How anybody makes a 'living' from this voodoo cr@p is completely beyond me.  Unless they are working for Goldman Sachs.

Edited by dmedin
31 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Maybe he'd be wondering why people are stupid enough to still be doing the same sh!t almost 100 years later.

'Doing other things instead' - oh how I wish we could all do that and get free of the shackles of international financial capitalism aka 'the great swindle'.

....In his case , trying not to get killed in WW2...

21 minutes ago, dmedin said:

So Friday ended up a downer for the indices after an entire day of going nowhere slowly, and the day-end candle is a bearish engulfing.

How anybody makes a 'living' from this voodoo cr@p is completely beyond me.  Unless they are working for Goldman Sachs.

In my experience...there are 3 types of traders....

1.  The complete geek , who uses a black box style , and operates sell /buy signals.....

2. Those who use technicals like a map, ...you feel where you want to be....and you use the the technicals to get in or out....like a road map...

...or number 3####

3. The pure gut feeling fundamental trader.....mostly out of the commodity markets who can actually work out each season the S and D of each commodity...

all 3 are equally  valid.....I used to work with a metals trader....used to trading copper, he moved to FX where I got to know him.....He was an experienced trader ....but he hated |FX ...It just did nt suit him....So perhaps you have nt found either the style or the market/s that you like....?? 

38 minutes ago, cheviot said:

....In his case , trying not to get killed in WW2...

Interesting to note that WWI and WWII are still glorified as great victories in the old capitalist nations (especially England) that were part of the system that created the mass destruction of life in the first place, with on going repercussions to this day in the 'ex-colonies' like India/Pakistan and much of Africa.

33 minutes ago, cheviot said:

So perhaps you have nt found either the style or the market/s that you like....?? 

I hate everything ...

Even traditional buy and hold investing is full of fraud and scandal. 

I'd love to see decent interest rates so we could go back to 'gold old fashioned' bonds which are used to fund productive infrastructure and business, instead of gigantic international swindles.

Edited by dmedin

Friday turned out to be a day for profit taking after a strong week and now seeing price moving back up towards the highs. Friday's market profile showed the POC was stable and did not migrate lower through the day which would have been the case if there was new money selling.

Plenty of people over the weekend telling us on SM and forums that this was it (again), the market is about to dive lower. These guys are always wrong more often than they are right. The truth is that no one can predict the future so why do they even bother, something internal drives them to it and your best bet is to completely ignore all of it. The charts will tell you exactly what's happening, regularly review the charts from monthly down to H1, see what's really happening and look to tag along, don't bother trying to second guess and front run, there is no need. 

image.thumb.png.c926dc729f612fbcecfc64c70c637980.png

image.thumb.png.13518c3591e5b38395a649d948cb1ef4.png

image.thumb.png.b40308b75cb92862acd487550e620f9b.png

Edited by Caseynotes
  • Like 2

Friday turned out to be a day for profit taking after a strong week and now seeing price moving back up towards the highs. Friday's market profile showed the POC was stable and did not migrate lower through the day which would have been the case if there was new money selling.

Plenty of people over the weekend telling us on SM and forums that this was it (again), the market is about to dive lower. These guys are always wrong more often than they are right. The truth is that no one can predict the future so why do they even bother, something internal drives them to it and your best bet is to completely ignore all of it. The charts will tell you exactly what's happening, regularly review the charts from monthly down to H1, see what's really happening and look to tag along, don't bother trying to second guess and front run, there is no need. 

image.thumb.png.c926dc729f612fbcecfc64c70c637980.png

image.thumb.png.13518c3591e5b38395a649d948cb1ef4.png

image.thumb.png.b40308b75cb92862acd487550e620f9b.png

The charts will tell you exactly what's happening, regularly review the charts from monthly down to H1, see what's really happening and look to tag along, don't bother trying to second guess and front run, there is no need. 

There s many ways to see a market, and trade ...re-actively or actively....Luckily it takes 2 to make a market.....

5 minutes ago, cheviot said:

There s many ways to see a market, and trade ...re-actively or actively....Luckily it takes 2 to make a market.....

that's true enough but I'm looking generally at the 70% of IG clients short the S&P, a figure that's been fairly consistent for the whole of the last year while the S&P was up over 28%.

"Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets and CFDs with this provider."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Hindsight makes us all look like geniuses 😻

the question is though when a market is trending up why is everyone so keen to get short? It's some sort of mental derangement.

This from the SSI thread where I was making this same point a while back.

Price goes up and so retail goes short, price goes down so retail go long, price goes back up again and short they go. 

What is this strategy called? The 'empty your account in the fastest possible way' strategy. 🥳

image.png.ccb27c626567fe5b7485d611a7461c06.png

• Like 1
  • Great! 1